PDA

View Full Version : Need suggestions for brake/fuel lines

vip09
08-20-2007, 04:49 PM
Mine are rusted in the rear of the car above the gas tank. Are these available through Toyota or do I have to make new ones by hand??

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e6/vip09/STP61846s.jpg

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e6/vip09/STP61846ss.jpg

TEAMFaint
08-20-2007, 08:52 PM
BGF makes some stellar stainless brake lines. They are available on 935motorsport.

2kSnakEater
08-20-2007, 09:13 PM
same thing happened to my 91 All-Trac, you will need to either buy a double flare tool, tube bender and some brake line and patch it via cut, double flare and screw in.

Or you if you can find a shop that can do it...

celicaGT90_05
08-20-2007, 09:21 PM
running brake lines can be tricky, but you shouldnt have a hard time finding new lines. Like he said, gonna need a pipe bender so you dont kink the line, an the flare tool for the connections. I dont believe there is any place that makes a custom fit brake line if thats what you're asking

extremeskillz
08-20-2007, 11:36 PM
yea i agree with the above statements. For the fuel you can use hard line, rubber line, or just buy a new fuel pump assembly. I just found a fuel as well and need to work on it soon. Probably during the winter.

vms4evr
08-20-2007, 11:50 PM
Another option if you can get the hard brake lines out in 1 piece or at least a couple of large pieces. Depending on the amount of rot. Take the lines down to a brake shop and let them bend/make you new ones. They do it for a living and shouldn't take them long to fab them up for you and they'll make nice clean bends with no kinks.

It would be easier if you can get the car to them even if you have to tow it. Then they can custom make what is needed and fit it for you.

Most 15-20yr old cars you are not going to find complete pre-fit lines for.

Idiot Stick
08-21-2007, 12:01 AM
I wonder if anyone has considered trying to make a rubber line with that high pressure hoses? Make some brackets to attatch them to the car all over and put the gas/break lines all in the same path...they wouldn't rust?

vip09
08-21-2007, 01:03 AM
I'm thinking about just getting some new hard lines for the brakes and bending them myself.

For the fuel I'm thinking of getting some stainless braided fuel hose with -an fittings since I'll be running an aftermarket fuel filter/FPR/Fuel Rail with -an fittings. So I'll use the stainless braided fuel hose for the fuel delivery and return.

Thoughts?

donteatbugs
08-21-2007, 01:11 AM
check and see how much the brake lines are from toyota. check the junk yard you got the abs delete stuff from and see if the lines are the same. if not, you can get a cheap brake bending tool and flaring tool from harbor freight. or you might could take them off without deforming them and take them to a shop and get them to make you some more.<-this would be what i would do if the junkyard and toyota didnt work. bending them yourself will take some trying to get it perfect. but i know you can do it.

2kSnakEater
08-21-2007, 03:59 AM
I wonder if anyone has considered trying to make a rubber line with that high pressure hoses? Make some brackets to attatch them to the car all over and put the gas/break lines all in the same path...they wouldn't rust?

NO! DO NOT MAKE BRAKE LINES OUT OF RUBBER HOSE.

Rubber cannot take the kind of preasure that you need for the brakes

1990CelicaGT-S
08-21-2007, 02:52 PM
Okay, last week I did 12 sets of Toyota brake lines.

#1/ Doing brake lines sucks!
#2/ Do Not Use Rubber Hose For Brakes!!!

If your going to do these lines yourself then you need a few things. You'll need a double flare line kit, fittings, line, and a lot of patience. If you go this method try and read a step by step guide on how to flare a line properly because if you don't your going to have leaks and there never good. Also keep in mind that in some areas if brake lines are made the new ones have to stay in the old routings and clips of the old brake lines for a safty inspection. Getting them just right is the hardest part.

If I were you, I'd take the car somewhere and get the brake lines front to back made and installed. For a couple of reasons actually. For one, your getting work from someone who has done brake lines before. Two, in the event of something going wrong you have someone other than yourself to place the blame on.

As for the fuel lines, If it were my trac and I was spending the money on the upgraded fuel system then I would spend the extra money on the stainless braided lines. Just keep in mind that they do start to cost a little bit. If you decide that you don't want to use the stainless braided lines afterall then go with copper lines and pressure fittings. They don't rust.

On a final note, if your going to do the brake lines your probably better off to do the fuel lines at the same time because the job would already be half way done.

vip09
08-21-2007, 05:55 PM
Thanks everyone. I'm going to use the stainless braided fuel hose for fuel. I'm going to attempt to remove the brake lines that go to the rear and take them to a brake shop and have new lines bent and connectors put on.

1990CelicaGT-S
08-21-2007, 07:59 PM
Even if the brake lines break (Haha) then they could still use the broken peices as guides. Good call on the stainless braided fuel lines.

vip09
08-21-2007, 08:06 PM
Now about the fuel hoses. Should I go with a larger diameter to flow more fuel? I remember reading on MR2OC about this topic, but can't remember exactly what it said. I believe they said to use a larger diameter on the return as compared to the feed line. I'll do some research.

donteatbugs
08-23-2007, 12:33 AM
you need to sell me you supra pump too, then you could pay for your fuel line. btw my speed source rail, fpr, and line kit came in. its so pretty.