PDA

View Full Version : Blown Head Gasket?

Blue91CelicaGT
08-20-2007, 04:23 PM
Well I think I've blown the head gasket in my trac.
I baught my trac a few months ago with 320k on the odometer bone stock everything. About a week ago I noticed it was leaking coolant ocassionally. I checked it out the outlet pipe at the bottom of the radiator was loose(sweet quick fix). So I pull my rad and tighten the hose. When I start it back up I see clouds of white smoke coming for my downpipe area and puffing from the back. I can assure you that it was not there before I pulled my rad. What could have cuased it to blow?

I was planning to start my mods in September but with 320k on the motor I was wondering whether I should:

Change the HG and get it rebuilt?
-or-
Get a new JDM motor?

If i change the HG and get the engine rebuilt I figure it will cost me around $800-1000, to get a low km JDM motor+tranny+extras from JDM montreal I got a quote for $1500 shipped to my front door in 2 days.

here a link
http://www.japandomesticmotor.com/engine_details.php?EngineID=37

I've just re-read my post and its pretty obvous what I should do just want some more opinions. Also has anyone heard about jdm montreal any bad/good comment about them?

vip09
08-20-2007, 05:45 PM
Your HFH (hose from hell) could be leaking. It is the coolant hose that goes to the oil cooler. It could be leaking on the exhaust and causing the smoke.

Just something else to check. I don't think I've ever seen an alltrac with that many miles before!

burnyd
08-20-2007, 05:47 PM
320k lol.... has it gotten a rebuild before?

I would just go with a jdm motor.... you get a clip youll get a new wiring harness and a new tranny.

Blue91CelicaGT
08-20-2007, 06:08 PM
Nope 320k stock...was lady driven. :laugh: :laugh:

burnyd
08-20-2007, 06:19 PM
Nope 320k stock...was lady driven. :laugh: :laugh:

thats pretty funny, but in all honesty I wouldnt want to see the rust that is on that vehicle!

But it would be best to just get a jdm clip and go f rom there.

balagast
08-20-2007, 06:43 PM
Even if you get a clip though, you don't know what condition the engine is in. IIRC, isn't this why most people recommend rebuilding your engine, b/c you should do some extensive work on a clip before you install it?

is that 320k mile of km, either way its a lot?

Blue91CelicaGT
08-20-2007, 07:21 PM
320km, even though its a Toyota motor I doubt would last 320k miles

burnyd
08-20-2007, 07:38 PM
320km, even though its a Toyota motor I doubt would last 320k miles

yah I thought you ment 320k miles.

Blue91CelicaGT
08-20-2007, 07:50 PM
Your HFH (hose from hell) could be leaking. It is the coolant hose that goes to the oil cooler. It could be leaking on the exhaust and causing the smoke.

Just something else to check. I don't think I've ever seen an alltrac with that many miles before!

That could be the reason for the smoke in the hood, but the smoke is also coming from the tailpipe as well.

Is $800 a good price for someone that knows what they are doing to charge to rebuild my engine?

vip09
08-20-2007, 07:57 PM
That could be the reason for the smoke in the hood, but the smoke is also coming from the tailpipe as well.

Is $800 a good price for someone that knows what they are doing to charge to rebuild my engine?

I would say that's a fair price. I know the gasket set from toyota by itself is like > $200.

T-spoon
08-20-2007, 10:14 PM
I recommend diagnosing before making plans about whether to buy a new motor or not.

Lagos
08-20-2007, 11:07 PM
this doesnt sound like a headgasket issue. you have a leak from your hose from hell, or maybe you just spilled some coolant when you pulled the radiator. if thats the case, it will just burn off on its own.

angryyoungnpoor
08-21-2007, 04:26 AM
Before doing a rebuild, if it's necessary, check the turbo and other things, to see if they'd need rebuilding. If that's the case, you'd be better off going with a jdm engine. It'd be cheaper, and easier, and end up with a healthier unopened engine.

zmile06
08-21-2007, 12:57 PM
Check everything before you decide to do the engine... 800 for rebuilding the engine is really cheap, is he rebuilding the bottom end too or just the top?

You do probable need a new transmission with that many miles on the car.. So either get it fully rebuilt, check the turbo, get a new transmission.. Or JDM it.

1990CelicaGT-S
08-21-2007, 02:28 PM
With the 320k on the engine and transmission, I'd buy the clip. That way you start off with both parts that have less wear on them. Then after getting the clip I would get the engine overhauled and then you could start your modifications.

Blue91CelicaGT
08-21-2007, 02:58 PM
Complete Motor - Block and Head (I was told anywhere from 20k-60k rebuilt motor)
5 Speed Transmission (AWD)
Engine Control Unit (ECU)
Wiring Harness
Intake Manifold Exhaust Manifold
Alternator
Starter
Throttle Body
A/C Compressor
Power Steering Pump
Fuel Rail
Injectors
Turbocharger
Turbo Manifold
Top Mount Intercooler
Clutch Assembly
Cam Angle Sensor

All for $1500(CND) shipped to my front door in 2 days.

What parts that I need would I be getting in the front clip that I wouldn't be getting here?(Keep in mind that the front clip would run about $3000).
I was planning to swap the motor anyways so that I could have a fresh motor to start modding.

angryyoungnpoor
08-21-2007, 11:36 PM
front clip... springs, brakes, ignitor, coil, ... anything and everythign in the engine bay.. AC evap, radiator, hood, fenders, front bumper, steering column, steering wheel, guages, whole dash.

Blue91CelicaGT
08-22-2007, 03:27 PM
front clip... springs, brakes, ignitor, coil, ... anything and everythign in the engine bay.. AC evap, radiator, hood, fenders, front bumper, steering column, steering wheel, guages, whole dash.

"Parts that I need..." Right now im pressed for $$$.
I'm not going to spend additional $$$ i dont need to spend.
I just want to get the car running so that I can get it safetied and e-tested so that I can transfer onwership(still in old owners name).

2kSnakEater
08-22-2007, 03:33 PM
you have an all-trac, you dont need the front clip. Just get the engine and tranny combo and insist that it must have the afm.

You will like to have a spare afm just incase yours craps out.

Blue91CelicaGT
08-24-2007, 03:32 PM
you have an all-trac, you dont need the front clip. Just get the engine and tranny combo and insist that it must have the afm.

You will like to have a spare afm just incase yours craps out.

Mine already crapped out... When I baught it was totally gunked up, not moving freely at all. I clean it up but it hardly working 100%.

I got a chance to take a look at it today. When I fired it up no white smoke but it was running rough and rich. I checked the spark plugs and they were fine, but I noticed that 3/4 where wet with gasoline. I dont know what could of happened. I'm going to change the wires and spark plugs and see what happens. It was running fine except for that leaky hose before I pulled the radiator. All I did was pull the rad, fix the hose and put it back together. I'm really fustrated. I dont know what I could have done. Anything helpful oppinions will be appriciated.

Blue91CelicaGT
08-29-2007, 04:36 PM
^^ Can anyone offer any suggestions? I cant seem to get this car running right.