PDA

View Full Version : Tail light removal plus the piece below

Slider
08-20-2007, 07:20 AM
Tomorrow I need to go to the junkyard and pick up a tail light and the piece below it. I have no clue how to take off either of these. I'm talking about this piece:

http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/5872/pieceqf7.jpg

I'd appreciate it if someone could tell me how to remove the tail light and that piece.

Thanks,
Mike

Joeye27
08-20-2007, 08:31 AM
well on my car and yours should be similar this is what you do....
there should be a screw between the tail light and where the trunk closes at right where the whether stripping is at, its usually covered by a small plastic piece you can pop off..

after you unscrew that take a flat head and pop off the end piece of the tail lights... then twist the little light bulb off the end tail light cover...

after that there should be two more screws where that end rested at unscrew those and the rest of your tail light should pop off easily... twist the bulbs out of place .. ..

now as for the middle piece... go inside your trunk area and under your carpet, the middle piece is secured by i believe 10 mm bolts unscrew those, there may be some screws slightly under the middle piece on the sides aswell unscrew those and it will come off.
and thats it hope it helps..everything is just screwed or bolted on. i know when youll see it it will be easy, everything will come together, ...good luck at the junk yard!!!!

1990CelicaGT-S
08-20-2007, 10:55 AM
Yeah, that lower peice is held on with some 10mm nuts. There are 2 on each side and a couple in the middle if memory serves me right.

Slider
08-20-2007, 03:19 PM
Alright, thanks a lot guys, looks easier than I expected.

PhillyDRFT
08-20-2007, 05:02 PM
Just FYI, When I took mine off it had a foam weather strip that was stuck on both sides. A tough bugger too. This was on my hatchback though.

Just letting you know so if there is one. Bring a hammer so you can lightly tap on the bolts from the back to pop it out, or else you risk bending it if you try to pry it up from an edge.

Slider
08-21-2007, 12:26 AM
Slim pickings when it comes to tail lights, 3 or 4 coupes there and 2 hatchbacks. None of the lights were in good condition, so I got a bent one with a missing lense but later I found one on the ground from another one. Someone tried to take it off without unscrewing the 2 screws under the lense so it's a little bent. And some idiot broke the taillights lights on the other hatchback also. :squint: Well I guess it's better than the broken light I had before.