PDA

View Full Version : lsd and non lsd axels?

gilpin
08-19-2007, 02:11 PM
hi im wondering if anyone could enlighten me on the difference between the lsd axel and the non lsd axel. if anyone could explain the difference or point me in the rught direction to finding out that would be great. also if anyone has pics of both shafts could they send them this way :D

Cheers Andrew

celicaGT90_05
08-19-2007, 04:00 PM
lsd means limited slip differential, when traction is at a loss it helps ensure that both wheels are spinning. However, with a non-lsd or "open" differential, when traction is lost power is usually diverted to just one wheel. People go for LSD axles because it provides better traction. Just so you know, the purpose of a differential is to allow different wheel speeds while taking corners so that the outer wheel doesnt drag through the turn which helps keep tires from wearing out faster

angryyoungnpoor
08-19-2007, 07:45 PM
I believe he's asking what the difference between the axles is, not a definition of lsd.

I don't know what it is. Sorry. :)

gilpin
08-19-2007, 07:51 PM
yeah i was lol. i wasnt that specific tho so i shall apoloise lol. basicaly i was wondering the physical differences between the lsd and non lsd shafts for the mr2 as i have a 1990 gearbox and a 93 inner shaft. any help would well appriciated thanks

celicaGT90_05
08-19-2007, 08:24 PM
I gave the difference...it's not like ones prettier than the other

Mr Celica
08-19-2007, 08:39 PM
is it like positraction? my friend in his civic when he does a burn out only one wheel spins, but when i do it both spin and leave massive rubber...

gilpin
08-19-2007, 08:42 PM
sorry if im being confusing. im trying to find out te difference between the axles, e.g. the shaft diameter, number of splines etc.

celicaGT90_05
08-19-2007, 09:23 PM
I'm guessing you're talking about a transaxle for a celica, right? If its made for the car and to bolt up to the motor you are running, the number of splines and diameter should be the same. And yeah its basically like posi-traction, to be honest I dont know what the real difference is, I just know some LSD's are adjustable to how much they slip, less slippage the batter traction/acceleration you get, but steering will be more difficult, and more slippage vise versa

gilpin
08-19-2007, 09:48 PM
yeah im talking about the celica transaxles. ive done the 3sgte swap into my celica but my axle/driveshaft is popping out everytime i drive it!! i have used the mr2 box which is a 1990. and the axle i have used is from a 93 mr2 gearbox. after doing some research i have found that the 90-93 box is non lsd and the 93+ box is lsd. so i am trying to find out if the axle (the bit that goes into the gearbox) from the 93 is the same as the 90-93 axle

celicaGT90_05
08-20-2007, 01:53 AM
well when you put the axle shafts in the transaxle they should pop in to place, but they can put up quite a fight, did you make sure you put them in all the way?

gilpin
08-20-2007, 05:17 PM
well i think so it wes a bit difficult to get in at first then once they located themselves it slid in quite easily until it could go any further. it seemed to of popped into place but then when i drive it, it just seems to pop out slightly and leak gearbox oil everywhere!!!!

Luni
08-20-2007, 05:41 PM
Heres the difference.

Ill post pictures of this too, but heres the difference.

There IS no difference on the passenger side stub. The one that has the carrier bearing on it will work. If you have a NON LSD passenger side stub, that will work.

The difference is on the DRIVERS side stub. On the LSD axles the input splines on the stub itself go back farther. Theyre LONGER. on the non LSD stub they dont slide back in so far, and it needs to be machined.

I have both sitting on my garage floor, Ill take a picture of them for you guys for reference.

Luni
08-20-2007, 05:42 PM
And NOT all Mr2s that are 93+ have LSD.

gilpin
08-21-2007, 11:12 AM
thats great info mate just what i needed. i think i may have a non lsd box and a lsd driveshaft. could you post the pics just for reference. just to double check :-)