PDA

View Full Version : The one thing...

Murgatroy
08-18-2007, 05:29 PM
... I haven't missed working on domestics...

Going from standard to metric, back to standard.

Back when I was building 2nd Gen Camaros, it was nice, everything was standard, about mid to late 70's domestics started going both ways.

One of the things I have taken for granted with the Celicas, you can dismantle the car with a 10,12,14 and 17mm.

I am revamping the entire brake system on the Explorer this weekend. So far I have used a 1/2", 9/16", 12mm and 13mm to get the parts off.

The parts are still fairly cheap though, so it is a trade off I guess. I am off to pick up a few tools, but so far, I am only $100 in. And everything is new now.

MCcelica
08-18-2007, 05:31 PM
Hahahaha. Yup. That's an exploder for ya! Haha, jp. If it's a murg exploder, it's a badass exploder.

vip09
08-18-2007, 05:34 PM
I love being able to work on pretty much anything on both my cars using the 10mm, 12mm, 14mm, and 17mm. The SAE side of my toolbox is pretty much unused.

What all have you replaced on the explorer so far?

Murgatroy
08-18-2007, 05:35 PM
Other than an oddly engineered engine bay, it is aight.

I just wanted something roomy that the family would fit in. Jessie is all anti-stick, but once she learns to drive it, I think she will like it. She wants to sit up high and see things.

Murgatroy
08-18-2007, 05:38 PM
So far I have replaced the brake master cylinder, both rear wheels cylinders, pads, shoes and a complete fluid flush.

Next up is the driver's seat and doors. I want manual window doors, but they are very hard to find. Much less in the 2-door models.

The previous owned decided that instead of replacing the burnt motors, he would just remove them and have redneck manual windows. This would be suitable for me, but I bought it to flip and this must be fixed, otherwise it is worthless. I guess I will just find a set of power doors and take the whole things. The driver's door has some damage, as well as the fender. That is why I am leaning towards the whole door. Plus the current panels are FUBARed.

For a $400 truck, it is in damn good shape though. If I think about it, I will go get some pics in a minute.

Murgatroy
08-18-2007, 06:13 PM
Aight, here are some pics.

http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/1/4/6/DCFN0031.JPG

Driver's side damage, it looks like the door was hyper-extended into the fender.
http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/1/4/6/DCFN0028.JPG

Trashed door panels.
http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/1/4/6/DCFN0030.JPG

Mmmm, 4.0 litre V6 goodness. It is rated at like 215 ft/lbs or something like that. I know it will squall them on demand.
http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/1/4/6/DCFN0029.JPG

vip09
08-18-2007, 07:33 PM
Murg, better watch out man. Looks like there's a fan there. :hehe:

Definitely a good deal for $400!

celicaGT90_05
08-18-2007, 07:34 PM
I do hate standard messurements, gets so confusing

Shadowlife25
08-19-2007, 01:48 AM
Nice find for the price Murg. Drop me a line when you get a chance. :)

Hookecho
08-19-2007, 01:55 AM
i've always liked the older explorers for some reason. very nice find murg.

PhillyDRFT
08-19-2007, 02:00 AM

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I thought the SAME thing when I saw it.

PhillyDRFT
08-19-2007, 02:02 AM

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I thought the SAME thing when I saw it.

looks like the same engine my mom had in her s10 blazer.

EDIT:: I HIT EDIT NOT DOUBLE POST!!!!!!

vms4evr
08-19-2007, 04:13 AM
Yeah I have STD and Metric complete sets of sockets 1/4, 3/8, 1/2 drive. I was pissed when they started inserting metric into American cars. That's what forced me to get all the metric versions. Now when I work on my Vette or the wife's Monte or the daughters GrandAm it's mostly metric. I rarely pull out a STD socket, other than maybe a 1/2 or 9/16.

Oh you forgot 15mm in that list ;)

Nice find for $400 !!!

celicaGT90_05
08-19-2007, 05:31 AM
i've always liked the older explorers for some reason. very nice find murg.

Don't feel too bad, for some reason I really like older 2 door trackers lol

Murgatroy
08-19-2007, 04:30 PM
I hate a fucking Ford.

:hehe:

Took her on her maiden voyage. Up until last night she had only been driven home. Revamp the entire brake system, so she stops now. Loaded the family up and headed south to my Mom's house to visit. The main purpose to the purchase was to get Jessie up to Ohio to help with her family problems up there. I had to get it on the highway and make sure it was stable and so forth, so a short 100 mile jaunt would be a better test than all or nothing straight to Ohio.

Got down there with no problems. Rides smooth, other than the gauge issues, she is a fine runner. No power in 5th, but it is overdrive in actuality, she sips it down at 25 miles to the gallon. Not bad. On the way back I stop for drinks and fuel and realize I left my hat at Momma's. So we turn around and head back. I can't leave it there, it will be gone when I return.

Running down some backroads, I go to downshift, and the bitch WILL NOT come out of 4th.

For those of you who had the chance to see where I grew up, imagine trying to drive up through there with only 4th. It was not peachy. The truck was a trooper though. I even did two complete stop and take-offs in 4th. The worst part was heading up the mountain. At the base of Momma's drive I finally found 2nd. It made for a fun run up the drive. Jessie had held her composure the entire way, but she couldn't help but scream at a good off-roading experience. She is a wussie when it comes to automotive endeavors.

I got out this morning and started fucking with it. I have all gears but 3rd now.It won't even attempt to engage. It is as if it isn't there, it won't even slide up into the slot where it was.

Just more shit to deal with.

I have a slew of old Ford parts back home, so now I have to dig through and see if I can locate a tranny to go back in this thing. I am not thrilled with it, but it got me home.

celicaGT90_05
08-19-2007, 04:49 PM
just find a low mileage junked tranny and you'll be fine. Older Ford transmissions have their issues, for some reason the reverse on them is tricky to engage at times. What part of Ohio were you in anyway?

Mr Celica
08-19-2007, 04:55 PM

not just a fan, its a "CAUTION FAN"!!!!

not a bad buy for the price, either! i got my 92 4Runner for 500 bucks! all it needed was a fuel pump and head gaskets :ugh:

with 150hp and 190ft.lbs i am crusin around with a sweet amount of 12mpg.. lmao it makes my celica feel fast.

ladywaterwind
08-19-2007, 05:08 PM
I was not pleased. I'm still a bit >.< about the whole situation last night. From my standpoint all I knew was Murg said uh oh and oh sh**, so me being uncar knowy as all get out automatically makes it ten times worse than it is in my head.

I kinda was not cool and bit his head off after the driveway, cause he made fun of me for screaming...and it wasn't the most opportune time for jokes.

I officially hate this car and there is NO WAY I am ever going to try and drive that thing, cause I would spaz out if some weird transmission thing happened to me.