PDA

View Full Version : suspension suggestions please

bcaff
08-17-2007, 03:04 AM
I drive a 1990 ST and I'm pretty sure that my front struts are on their last legs. When I purchased the car I had the rear struts replaced with whatever AutoZone sells since they were totally blown out. The rears are now just over a year old and I had to replace one of them under warranty since then.

But now since I'm looking at replacing the fronts, I was thinking about going with a better quality, better performing strut / suspension setup all the way around.

Any suggestions for brands or setups? I would like to have a stiffer and better handling suspension than stock, but don't want to completely sacrifice comfort. I'm also not sure if I might be interested in lowering it an inch or two either.

Thanks for the help!

extremeskillz
08-17-2007, 03:09 AM
Well there are the KYB Gr2 struts im running and Koni's. As far as springs im running Eibach sportline and the ride is very comfortable. A little stiff but thats the point! It built to handle.

bcaff
08-17-2007, 03:17 AM
Quick question... if I went with a lowering spring do I need to get adapter plates to properly align the car? A friend of mine mentioned buying parts to correct the camber on his car since he lowered it. I have limited knowledge related to the subject if you can't tell already. Thanks again for the help.

extremeskillz
08-17-2007, 03:19 AM
yes they are called camber bolts and available at tirerack.com. I haven't installed mine yet but i will when i take the car out of comission for the winter. You will need them to do a wheel alignment.

extremeskillz
08-17-2007, 03:27 AM
for components check out these sites:

www.importperformance.com
www.tirerack.com
www.horsepowerfreaks.com

Ads28
08-17-2007, 03:34 AM
Yeah KYB GR-2's is the best way to go for the price i think, ill be gettin ma set in the next couple days, along with a set of H&R spings from TireRack...yeaa i was goin to ask the same question...do I need those cam bolts? seein how im gunna go with the H&R's?...and my strut mounts look pretty good, is it worth replaceing them or should i save the 220$?
Thanks

extremeskillz
08-17-2007, 03:39 AM
Well i replaced all my tower mounts because they were old but if yours is in good shape then your ok.

KoreanJoey
08-17-2007, 09:12 AM
He's been right on the money. GR2s are more of a replacement shock than an upgrade but compared to 17-year-old shocks, you'll notice a huge gain. I can't say much into lowering springs but if you change your ride height too much you'll have to use camber adjustments as you're stock adjustments won't give you enough to offset the camber you create.