PDA

View Full Version : help

Unarmed
08-16-2007, 07:41 PM
one spark plug wire is stuck so I go to the second... then this happens...

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u65/robby-unarmed/Photo-0219.jpg

now can someone please tell me how to fix this? all the wires are stuck the same way... before I got the car it was overheating due to a crushed radiator hose, and I dont think they have been checked since then (bad decision on my part)... could that be the reason they are stuck like this?

I already know I need to replace that now... but how do I remove it? yankin on it with vice grips only made the problem worse (I know ,another bad decision on my part).

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u65/robby-unarmed/Photo-0218.jpg

burnyd
08-16-2007, 07:44 PM
you mmight want to pop open the valve cover and try it again... at this point you should be able to get a better angle at it?

vip09
08-16-2007, 07:47 PM
Yeah, looks like that valve cover will need to come off so you can access those broken wires better.

Unarmed
08-16-2007, 08:07 PM
but then I still got a problem... the other 3 wires are still stuck...

Newbster
08-16-2007, 08:10 PM
Did you try twisting them before yanking on them?

vip09
08-16-2007, 08:13 PM
but then I still got a problem... the other 3 wires are still stuck...

Well I guess it doesn't matter if the others break also.. you're going to need a new set of plug wires anyway. I'm not sure if it would be a good idea to try to spray something in there to loosen it up.

Unarmed
08-16-2007, 08:15 PM
Did you try twisting them before yanking on them?
ya

Unarmed
08-16-2007, 08:16 PM
Well I guess it doesn't matter if the others break also.. you're going to need a new set of plug wires anyway. I'm not sure if it would be a good idea to try to spray something in there to loosen it up.
I am trying wd-40 in the broken one.

celicatrd93
08-16-2007, 08:38 PM
get a needle nose pylers and try getting them out like that.

Unarmed
08-16-2007, 09:39 PM
so needle nose on the good ones?

Unarmed
08-16-2007, 09:40 PM
also I found out that my problem (the reason why I was trying to pull the wires in the first place) was the distributor cap was hanging by one screw, the other somehow tore through the cap... more crap for me to replace :brick: , I am never gonna get the money for the rear strut bar :(

andy
08-16-2007, 11:27 PM
i had to put motor oil in mine to get them to free up, i broke at least 3.

Rix86
08-16-2007, 11:56 PM
pulling the valve cover won't help, the spark plug tube will still be in the way.

andy
08-17-2007, 01:10 AM
get some oil and a long screwdriver to free them up, and then make a hook out of wire to fish them out. or buy a new head.

Unarmed
08-17-2007, 06:32 PM
I think I am gonna go get a long screwdriver and a hammer and brake it right down to the damn sparkplug, then use a shop vac to pull all the shit out... I broke another, and a third started to crack on me... the forth is still just as stuck..

knew I should have just replaced them when I got the car... these damned things look like the original parts...

Unarmed
08-17-2007, 06:37 PM
LMAO, stuck a big ass screwdriver in right next to it, and pushed it to either side... the whole damn thing came out with the spark plug still attached... still cant separate the plug and the wire... by the looks of it, it got melted when the car overheated with the other owner... gonna try the same thing on the other spark plugs... I may have rotated the plug enough to get it out like that in my irritation :P

Unarmed
08-17-2007, 06:42 PM
what do ya think?

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u65/robby-unarmed/Photo-0221.jpg

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u65/robby-unarmed/Photo-0220.jpg

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u65/robby-unarmed/Photo-02191.jpg

Unarmed
08-17-2007, 06:50 PM
ger, my number 3 wire snapped above the wide piece on the wire... gonna have to try to break it off so I can pull the plug... edit:Just looked at the other and realized thats soft rubber... gonna make it harder... edit: now my number 4 plug is stuck the same way... gotta wait for the old man to get back with a shop vac.... shop vac + hammer + flathead = crappy old rubber piece gets out :P

on the bright side the number one wire came out easily by rotating it till the spark plug came loose, same problem as the number 2, and number 3 wire... guessing the same with the number 4 wire...

Unarmed
08-17-2007, 07:19 PM
blah, any good ideas for pulling out the last two?

Unarmed
08-17-2007, 07:29 PM
get some oil and a long screwdriver to free them up, and then make a hook out of wire to fish them out. or buy a new head.

no go on that one :P, If I were to buy a new head it would be for a 5sgte conversion (that I probably wouldn't like anyway, I like low end.)

Unarmed
08-17-2007, 07:31 PM
i had to put motor oil in mine to get them to free up, i broke at least 3.
I broke 3 also... still gotta get out the last 2 spark plugs...

vms4evr
08-18-2007, 12:11 AM
Instead of those cheesy plug wire pullers you get at the auto parts store that are worthless...Get a hold of Snap On dealer then they have a really cool set of pliers. They are really long handled needle nose pliers. Catch is they have a hook-loop at the end. I just used a set to pull the plug wires off my wife's Monte Carlo with 145Kmiles on it. Worked like a charm. No spraying, swearing, or cuts and bruises.

Unarmed
08-18-2007, 05:39 AM
I dont have any set of wire pullers... but them snap on things sound cool...

Shadowlife25
08-18-2007, 11:21 AM
I had that tool when I was at my old shop. Very nice.

Hookecho
08-18-2007, 12:58 PM
damnit boy!

Unarmed
08-19-2007, 05:29 PM
well I took a break from trying to remove the wire crap. using a flexible "claw" and a flathead I got the rest of the hard plastic out, but I cant pull out the soft rubber. any Ideas for that? I just changed the oil and coolant so I would prefer not removing the top end of the motor. considering I am damn near broke as it is.

Unarmed
08-26-2007, 09:04 PM
will this tool work for removing the spark plug tubes?
http://www.sjdiscounttools.com/asstoy150.html

If I cant get the existing ones spark plugs out of the tubes, I would go get junkyard replacements.

davmac
08-26-2007, 09:12 PM
Looks like a slick tool to remove the spark plug tubes without removing the valve cover. I'm guessing it expands with the center bolt and locks to the inside of the spark plug tube. Then you wrench the hex head to pull the tube.
$60 plus shipping seems like a lot of money just to save taking the valve cover off which is pretty easy. With the valve cover removed you should be able to grab the spark plug tube with a pipe wrench or vice grip and give it a wack to get the tube to begin unthreading. Then your hands or light wrenching with adjustable wrench should finish unthreading the tube.

Unarmed
08-26-2007, 09:29 PM
Looks like a slick tool to remove the spark plug tubes without removing the valve cover. I'm guessing it expands with the center bolt and locks to the inside of the spark plug tube. Then you wrench the hex head to pull the tube.
$60 plus shipping seems like a lot of money just to save taking the valve cover off which is pretty easy. With the valve cover removed you should be able to grab the spark plug tube with a pipe wrench or vice grip and give it a wack to get the tube to begin unthreading. Then your hands or light wrenching with adjustable wrench should finish unthreading the tube.

I wasnt sure how difficult it would be to get it to begin unthreading, was kinda worried I wouldnt be able to get anything to grip the stupid thing. will try it with some vice grips when I get a chance

davmac
08-26-2007, 09:54 PM
OK. I read the whole thread. You definitely want to remove the valve cover and the spark plug tubes - don't bother with the special tool. Valve cover comes off with those big nuts at the top of the spark plug tubes (IIRC 30mm hex). You also want to get new valve cover gasket and spark plug tube gasket. When you reinstall the spark plug tubes put some permatex no. 1 gasket sealer on the threads. When resealing the valve cover add a little permatex ultra grey rtv sealant on the head where the valve gasket seals on either side of the camshaft.
GL w/ your repair.

davmac
08-26-2007, 09:57 PM
I wasnt sure how difficult it would be to get it to begin unthreading, was kinda worried I wouldnt be able to get anything to grip the stupid thing. will try it with some vice grips when I get a chance
Yeah - wrap a couple layers of electrical tape or duck tape on the outside of the tube. Grab pretty hard with the vice grips and hit the end of the vice grips once sharp to get it started unthreading. Should be easy from there.

So typical that changing spark plugs turns into a major repair. Unfortunately too often with Toyotas because owners assume they are so reliable they never touch them.

Ricksta
08-26-2007, 11:21 PM
same thing happend to me. had a blown hg id be prepared for the worse

davmac
08-28-2007, 07:22 PM
same thing happend to me. had a blown hg id be prepared for the worse
That would be a tough break, but now I see in the OP that overheating and crushed radiator hose reference.

I also want to correct my earlier suggestion at using permatex no. 1 gasket sealer on the tube threads. The recommended stuff is loctite brand #572 thread sealer. Permatex high temp thread sealer or even permatex pipe joint compound should also work. I suspect no. 1 gasket sealer would work, but may make the install more permantent then intended :(