PDA

View Full Version : good news for swapers with 5sfe tranny

Lagos
02-11-2005, 11:26 PM
i just talked to Spec about ordering a new clutch for my car. it turns out they can make us a custom 3sgte clutch with the splines for the 5sfe tranny. this is good news because we can finally have a clutch that covers the full surface area of the flywheel (stock 5sfe clutch is smaller then the 3s flywheel).

i ended up going with the stage 2 kit. kevlar clutch, with 440lb of tq. a little over kill, but stage 1 is an organic disk.

my current clutch (act street disk for the 5sfe) can hold 250lb to tq and is starting to die after 6 months of use! this is definetly not the right clutch for swapers!

Hooligan
02-12-2005, 12:24 AM
I've heard that other companies will do the same thing as well.

G-man
02-12-2005, 03:02 AM
Alot of the MR2 guys have been very happy with the Spec Stage 2. Remember to go easy during the break in period.....Then, let her rip and report back! :D

Lagos
02-12-2005, 03:43 AM
g-man... "funny" how now im having tranny issues, aint it? :)

G-man
02-12-2005, 03:50 AM
I almost pm'd you with that statement but it was just a little bit too much of a smart ass remark for me - especially when I know first hand how frustrating it is to have trouble with your project. When you don't know someone personally, you never know how much you can pull their chain without pissing them off...

Not to rub it in, but my car now shifts like a the gears are in a bucket of butter - I really can't believe the difference. There is no doubt some of the credit belongs to the help you provided....

Lagos
02-12-2005, 04:07 AM
for the record...anyone with a 3sgte swap is my bro, esp if its in a 6th gen ! :)

i think there are 2 issues that cause my clutch failure. 1, i didnt fully clean everything with brake parts cleaner during the install (didnt know any better at the time). 2, i got an act street disk for the 5sfe tranny. that thing is speced at 250tq at the flywheel (and we all know how companies like to over spec stuff) . i started running my car at 15psi and thats when these issues started.

odd thing is, my car shifts great! probably because the clutch ising grabbing enough...hahaha

i just realized something that we all over look when talking about what clutch to use for the swap. we all forget that a stage 1 clutch for a 5sfe tranny is not the same clutch as the stage 1 for an alltrac or mr2 tranny. so, some people with a act street disk may love it in their alltrac, while someone like me has it fail after 6 months.

rsos1
02-12-2005, 05:28 AM
This is the same clutch I got for my swap. Good choice Lagos.

ChrisD
02-13-2005, 07:05 AM
I should start archiving the posts where people complain about ACT clutches in one way or another. Every time someone asks for an opinion, they dont believe me when I say that people have constant problems with them.

Spec stage 2 would rock for a swapped car I'd bet. I'm almost wishing I had gone with a Clutchmasters stage 4 (~spec stage 3 equivalent), for track launches, but oh well. The stage 3 has held us just fine and I can launch it *really* hard, even with my heavy 4wd ass... :D

Sean
02-13-2005, 11:41 AM
Spec stage 2 is a shifters dream :) :) :) :) :)

Snafu
02-13-2005, 11:31 PM
Why not go with Spec Stage 3? Same pressure plate, with a better disc. Not much more money, and you have the extra piece of mind.

Sean
02-13-2005, 11:45 PM
Different material disk, that is just not needed in my application, waste of money.

Lagos
02-14-2005, 12:12 AM
Why not go with Spec Stage 3? Same pressure plate, with a better disc. Not much more money, and you have the extra piece of mind.

thats the reason why i got a stage 2 insted of a stage 1. stage 3 just felt like total overkill.