PDA

View Full Version : Underbody Diffusers?

Joeye27
08-15-2007, 06:27 AM
Does any one have or seen underbody diffusers or anything similar for the 5th Gen Celica??? thought it would be interesting too see what the handling and feel be in the car.
A link to the NSX JGTC GT500 Underbody Diffusers...
http://www.scienceofspeed.com/products/general_information/JGTC_GT500_Underbody_Diffusers/index.htm

http://www.scienceofspeed.com/products/exterior_performance_products/NSX/TAITEC/JGTC_diffuser/

Hiko
08-15-2007, 08:44 AM
Hate to say it, but effects from just putting on a diffuser are going to be minimal. Think of it like a rake trying to straighten out air that is already extremely turbulent.

That said, a whole underbody aero kit would probably work wonders reducing lift. As soon as I'm far enough into my major (aerospace), I'm planning on doing a bit of work along these lines.

Conrad_Turbo
08-15-2007, 04:09 PM
I've been proposed by many people to develop an underbody diffuser skin for the Celica...it'd be cool, but the cost of shipping would be crazy.

I agree though, the gains will be minimal, however in a race environment every gain is a worthwhile one.

KoreanJoey
08-16-2007, 09:38 AM
I've been proposed by many people to develop an underbody diffuser skin for the Celica...it'd be cool, but the cost of shipping would be crazy.

I agree though, the gains will be minimal, however in a race environment every gain is a worthwhile one.

*nods*

Joeye27
08-19-2007, 06:12 AM

Conrad yes it would be a great idea, seriously.. iam pretty sure gt4, all trac, 5th and 6th gen owners will be wanting these even more because of there stronger motors. you may be getting people wanting these in high demand world wide...Spain, Greece all over Europe. Its a nice idea...

PhillyDRFT
08-19-2007, 07:29 AM
I would just want one because it's pretty and keeps my undercarriage clean :)

Thats just me though. I don't get to experience the joys of road racing much. If you could get a good size of plate aluminum you could make a lightweight diffuser of your own. If you have a wind tunnel laying around you might even be able to tune it to perfection.

KoreanJoey
08-19-2007, 11:34 AM
I would just want one because it's pretty and keeps my undercarriage clean :)

Thats just me though. I don't get to experience the joys of road racing much. If you could get a good size of plate aluminum you could make a lightweight diffuser of your own. If you have a wind tunnel laying around you might even be able to tune it to perfection.

Well even without a wind tunnel if you're familiar w/ aerodynamics I couldn't imagine you'd have to very too far from scientific principle to make it work, but yeah fine tuning is another story all together. But at higher speeds a properly designed diffuser (full or mostly full length) makes a HUGE difference. I don't know how much Le Mans or JGTC you guys watch but man, if those guys get tagged in the back and their underbody/ rear diffusers get busted up, they really, really lose some speed around the track, not only from additional drag but they really do help keep the car planted.

*NOTE: Please refer to the undercarriage of a Porsche GT3, really, really nice underbody diffuser that works wonders*

vms4evr
08-19-2007, 08:31 PM
Unless you're building a race car you aren't going to see anything a street driven car worth the effort. You could find some really thin sheet metal and install it in appropriate places to help smooth the airflow under the worst parts of chassis. Usually under the front end to the back of the the front wheels. Then the under body as it moves to the gas tank and rear axle (whether it is FWD or RWD). Then the big problem is the rear valance. Most of the race cars have side exit exhaust. Street cars have the muffler(s) in the way. That part helps speed up and diffuse the air flow out of the rear to make a cleaner exit.

If you get it right though it helps suck the car down and works well in concert with a splitter, wing, canards, etc. for a total aero package. That is usually where the wind tunnel comes into play.