PDA

View Full Version : AC Woes

VikingJZ
08-14-2007, 05:06 PM
Scenario:

AC Compressor from 1992 SC300 not working

Replacement was purchased for a 1998 SC300 with less than 60k miles and in perfect working order.

I ended up getting one from a 1995 with unknown miles. The seller told me if it doesn't work to send it back to him and he would refund my money.

We installed the 1995 compressor on the car.

Our problem was that the lines didn't exactly match up. There are those little pins that pull out from the compressor. These pins are mounted next to the mounting studs on the compressor.

Right now, the car blows cool air, yet the compressor clutch was not spinning. I am unsure if the air is blowing cool because of freon being in the system or if it is because the car is in the garage and it is night time out (Still above 70 degrees with clear skies and no humidity).

There was a slight hiss leak from the system coming from the lines after we connected everything. Should I get a compressor from a 1992? Advance Auto lists the compressor for the same part through all eight years the car was made, so any new one would work.

Also, I purchased one of those DIY AC kits from Wal Mart just so I had something. I can't get the can to go cold and I am unsure whether the car is sucking the freon in or if the kit is just a POS and doesn't work.

hmmm

Thoughts and Suggestions?

The Captain
08-15-2007, 06:10 AM
Go to the dealer with your VIN. Get the correct part number for the compressor and cross reference it to the aftermarket. The compressors are the same, the connections are different. Can you unbolt the flange that the hoses mount to and transfer it to the new compressor? That's what I had to do on my Benz.

2kSnakEater
08-15-2007, 04:07 PM
Lesson learned:

dont buy used a/c compresors

Get your original A/C compresor and when you buy a new one from dealer(if you want to get raped) or autozone match up new compresor with old compresor.

Luni
08-15-2007, 05:22 PM
The clutch wont kick on and engage the pump if the pressure requirement isnt met.

If youre leaking that might explain why it isnt working.

85gtsblackman
08-15-2007, 08:09 PM
im in the same boat

i have a leak i can hear when the car is off on the 3rd gen, if i dont find it soon im gonna go to autobone and get a new compressor

hope u replaced your recevier dryer when u converted to r134

VikingJZ
08-16-2007, 05:21 AM
I didn't do the conversion...but yes hopefully it was done.

My "new" compressor isn't aftermarket. It's a 1995 R-134a NipponDenso compressor.

I may hoses from a 1995 model.

And you're right, the compressor won't kick on unless there's freon, which may explain for a shitty kit that I spent $40 bucks on.

I'm replacing the drier anyway.

I'm tired of screwing with it....time for someone else to inspect.

Hopefully my compressor works, and it's just the hoses. Those I can do.

:)

Danke for the input fellers.