PDA

View Full Version : Part Question

balagast
08-14-2007, 12:33 AM
In the course of replacing the cylinder head on my 93 GT, I managed to break a a sensor or valve, not really sure what it is. It was on the coolant return on the head. The part number is 9092505068. It was connected to two small vacuum lines. I tried to search the part at 1sttoyotaparts and came up with nothing. Any idea what this thing is? I need to get a new one ASAP. Thanks

One other thing, the Coolant return was attached to my old head with studs and nuts. The new one doesn't have the studs, I was wonder either A: how to get the stud off the head B) are replacement stud readily available C) Can I just use some bolts, and If so what length and grade should I use.

burnyd
08-14-2007, 12:36 AM
hrm, have any pics?

balagast
08-14-2007, 12:55 AM
ya I'm working on getting some pics right now ... should have it picked up later

balagast
08-14-2007, 01:14 AM
Ok I got some pics up on my webspace http://www.rpi.edu/~donalm/ files are coolantsensorthingy

Hookecho
08-14-2007, 01:36 AM
it's a vacuum mod that has 1 line going to the intake and 1 from the purge canister. pretty much once the motor heats up it opens the diaphram and allows gas vapors from the canister to evacuate into the intake. you could probably just connect both lines together for now. it won't hurt anything.

vms4evr
08-14-2007, 02:54 AM
Man am I glad you posted this. Mine is broken on one of the plastic nipples. I was looking for the part number for it. I have it temporarily hacked up. It makes your idle surge when it is disconnected and the idle runs high. But your car will still run.

Funny thing is doing an intake manifold repair we busted the exact same part on my wife's 3.4L Chevy. The damn things are just in the way!

andy
08-14-2007, 06:28 AM
bymetal vaccum switching valve. its there to control the vacum purge on your charcoal canister. That valve wont let it purge until your car warms up. ehh, just connect them together until you get a new one, no biggie.

Amaymi
08-14-2007, 08:32 AM
What are the advantages/disadvantages of having this on versus deleting it. I was contemplating just venting the canister and capping off where line comes off of the intake manifold. I hate all these vacuum lines, they make the engine look "crowded" and create opportunities for vacuum leaks. It seems many of them are for emissions components on the 3sfe; canister purge, egr, etc., which I plan on eliminating since they do not check for them where I live and they make things more complicated.
Also on a side note; is the TPS on a post revision, pre OBDII, 5sfe a full sweep potentiometer or just a 3 postion "switch" like on the 4th gen Celica 3sfe's.

balagast
08-14-2007, 04:42 PM
them together until you get a new one, no biggi

Attach the two vacuum lines together is that what you mean? what do I do with the valve, just let it vent, I can't really cap it the way that it broke

vms4evr
08-14-2007, 05:07 PM
Yeah just leave it there. It doesn't create vacuum or anything else. It is a bi-metallic vacuum switch. The coolant heats up a little metal plate in it that acts as a switch. Coolant cold switch closed. Once the coolant heats and opens the switch. It lets the 2 connections (EGR + Cannister) "connect" to each other. Then the EGR sucks the filtered air from the cannister to vent it.

So tying them together just means the EGR + Cannister are connected all the time. Since it takes little time to warm up your engine coolant it is not a big deal. It is a big deal in an emissions inspected state if they see you bypassed it.

Based on the price online. I'd say splice the lines. If/when you get to a junk yard. Pick one up while you're raiding other parts of a donor car...

balagast
08-14-2007, 06:03 PM
Ok ... sounds like I'm goin to the junkyard. PA is a Nazi state for inspection and the car needs to be inspected once I finish putting the thing back together.