PDA

View Full Version : Roll bar..

89gtcon
08-11-2007, 04:43 PM
:sneak: Now I've been pondering an idea for a wile on how to create a SAFE roll bar. In the end of it all, I would like it to not be a huge "bar" over my head, more like the shelby roll bar thinggy that comes up and curves over the drivers head......but this might be a problem because im 6'4...heh.......anyways on to mounting.....would it be SAFE to mount to the seat mounts.......probb not but i would like an alternate as aposed to cutting through the floor to get to the frame.....ehh but it has a body seem...AHHHH thats why i love this site....so many more smarter people then me......if anyone has ANY input....drop it on me! :sneak:

Murgatroy
08-12-2007, 12:44 AM
Just get a bolt-in/weld-in bar. There is a company that makes a custom fitted kit for a 4th Gen Hatch, you could modify it a hair to fit.

As for mounting it, cut the carpet back and weld it into the structural support. If you do it right, it will increase the rigidity of the car.

89gtcon
08-12-2007, 03:28 AM
ah ty ty Murg is always there!!!

vms4evr
08-19-2007, 08:47 PM
Those little hoops on the Shelby are frame welded. With just 2 mounting points they would not be safe. You need a 4-point roll bar at minimum to be safe. 6-point and above are for race cars and cause lots of issues that would not be a good idea on a street driven car. Also anywhere that your head can strike the roll bar. You need SFI padding on it. If you hit it and you're not wearing a helmet plan on one serious headache even with padding.

The bar thickness and placement is specific to the car and weight. At 6'4" if you're trying to protect your head it's going to be tough. A 4-point roll bar is used to stop the whole roof from collapsing at the B pillar. A 6-point add the structure to stop the A-pillars from collapsing.

If you can find one like Murg said that is already designed for your Celica start with that or get a race shop to fabricate you one from scratch.

Built for safety with racing in mind then you want one that meets the SCCA GCR. Just do a search on the SCCA website and you can get all the gory details. I'm getting one built for my Z06 and they are a PITA. I'm letting a pro deal with it. It needs to actually work should the car ever flip...

1EXQUIZITCELICA
09-07-2007, 06:31 PM
I have a shop that builds off-road trophy trucks like SNORE and SCORE building mine. Mine isn't going over my head though.... mine is going to be lower to the floor to stiffen the car, but a shop like that should be able to do it no problem.