PDA

View Full Version : Got Greddy??

birdfan
08-11-2007, 02:25 AM
I was wondering if anyone know if the Greddy T78 Turbo upgrade kit for the turbo MR2 is the same kit for the 3sgte we run on Celicas. If so, is there anyone on here that has is running it? Seriously considering purchasing the kit, but I'd like to hear from someone that has it before I drop the almost $5k.

Here is the link: http://www.greddy.com/products/display/?Category=turbo&SubCategory=16

geebes
08-11-2007, 03:49 AM
I don't have it, but jeez 5 thou-wow!

angryyoungnpoor
08-11-2007, 04:20 AM
find the turbo and maybe the downpipe and get everything else done custom. It'd probably fit better and might be cheaper.

Also.. what else do you have done to the car? Is it really worth it to get such a big turbo?

Mr Celica
08-11-2007, 04:22 AM
holy lag.

burnyd
08-11-2007, 04:54 AM
lol , do you realize on a stock 3sgte you wont even have enough fuel to make enough boost for what the waste gate is sprung at?

Gary
08-11-2007, 05:14 AM
Are you going to use this T78 on your 3sgte/FWD swap?
What is your power goal?
What is the plan on your support mods?

Sean
08-11-2007, 06:29 AM
Your going to need another 8grand worth of tuning and support mods to run that turbo properly :)

burnyd
08-11-2007, 07:27 AM
Your going to need another 8grand worth of tuning and support mods to run that turbo properly :)

sounds about right.

After building a head that can flow enough for that and a bottom end that can handle that much power.. along with a twin plate clutch, a mr2 trans conversiton EMS, and countless hours of tuning... going through plugs like somethin fierce... and parts here and there.

birdfan
08-11-2007, 07:41 PM
This is why I come to the board and ask questions before spending money. I like to hear it from the veterans before spending $$$. I saw the Greddy T78 upgrade for the MR2 Turbo was availabe, but wasn't sure what all is entailed in getting a turbo that large to work with the 3sgte. As far as the "my horsepower goal question", I guess you could say as much as I can "legally" get in California and still pass smog. I'm not really caught up in the money issue, because I'm investing in my ride, instead of going out to drop $55k on a new vette or some other car that I'd have to make a note on. It would be worth it to me to spend $10k if I had to, and have a smokin' Celica that would be a street terror. I think the ultimate would be for my ride to be able to hang with muscle cars like Vettes, Mustangs and Camaros (Especially the Vette).

andy
08-11-2007, 07:54 PM
thats not out of the question as far as hangin with them cars, but for what you have now a KO streetbrawler setup would be much more suited to your engine as it is now. I plan on going with the GT30 setup sometime. but thats me.

vip09
08-11-2007, 08:39 PM
I have a Greddy TD06L2 20G turbo kit. I was only running 13psi and I was beating mustang cobras and z28 camaros.

Sean
08-11-2007, 08:43 PM
I would look into a mr2 transmission, stronger clutch, Street Brawler, some more fuel (plan for around a grand here for a great fuel system), AEM, and some tuning,

birdfan
08-11-2007, 10:02 PM
I would look into a mr2 transmission, stronger clutch, Street Brawler, some more fuel (plan for around a grand here for a great fuel system), AEM, and some tuning,

Yeah, I've been shopping around online for a MR2 Turbo Tranny, but no luck yet. Gotta call the local junkyards to see what I can come up with. Also planning on upgrading to the Walbro 255 fp and looking into a emanage system. I'm definitely a novice when it comes to turbo engines. This one will be my first. That's why I'm asking as many questions as I can, and taking my time, so I can try to put together a really nice package the first time out.

angryyoungnpoor
08-11-2007, 10:52 PM
a t78 turbo is a high horsepower solution.. up to 600hp maybe? I'm sure you'd be fine with 350 hp to hang with vettes and such. Lose some weight in the car, and turn up the boost. And of course do all the necessary mods to get the 350 hp.

Oh and, you should probably go ahead and put the walbro in there for the stock 3sgte. The fuel pump you have in your car won't send enough to even supply the stock engine.

angryyoungnpoor
08-11-2007, 10:56 PM
annnnd, you can look and www.atsracing.com 's kits. http://www.atsracing.net/combokitsTD05.htm

andy
08-11-2007, 11:00 PM
i would run it stock for awhile to learn how it reacts to things. and to get a good baseline.

birdfan
08-12-2007, 04:23 AM
annnnd, you can look and www.atsracing.com 's kits. http://www.atsracing.net/combokitsTD05.htm

Thanks for the ats link. These are some real nice packages!! Much more reasonable then the Greddy ones.

burnyd
08-12-2007, 04:56 AM
I have a Greddy TD06L2 20G turbo kit. I was only running 13psi and I was beating mustang cobras and z28 camaros.

Its not the ride its the riderrrr!!!!... :laugh:

Cavanagh
08-12-2007, 09:38 PM
^ahaha^