PDA

View Full Version : I need some real opinions here guys

Idiot Stick
08-10-2007, 06:27 PM
Its related to getting a new car, or fixing up my current one for DAILY DRIVING, not modding. No modding is being done in this but luxury stuff if any.

Right now I drive a 1992 Celica GT 5 speed.
It has 222,050 KM's on it as I type this, and just last year on May 15th it had 166,001 KM's. So I drive alot. Most of this driving is, infact, for work. I've got 250$ a month payments on it untill May (2 year loan). However, I've got some scary bodywork coming up that NEEDS to be done this winter/before spring. Looking at around 2 grand for the bodywork. So far this year in car repairs, Ive probably put over 3 grand into it for random things that went wrong (Wheel bearings, E-brake shoes, warped disks, etc etc). All normal maintenance things. But its starting to annoy me dropping another 300 or so a month to keep it running in decent shape.

Now, Ive considered getting a 2003+ Toyota Matrix with the 2zz motor in it, which can be had for less than $15,000.

Financing from a dealer is a mistake, yes i know. But it can be done for 330 a month or less if you bargain or have a deposit. That being said, I could theoretically get a new(er) car for LESS than what im paying for my current one due to repairs. But that also being said, I put a TONNE of KM's on the rig due to work (I did 3 thousand km's just last week and a half!), so any warranty would be up very fast. The Matrix im considering is 16048.25 after taxes @ 159 bi-weekly. Already has 147,000Km's on it now. Its a 6 speed 2zz Matrix with the TRD Package. I havent gone to look at it in person (Its just down the road from where i work), but Im considering looking into it seriously.

So here it is. Do you guys think I should drop another large chunk of money into the Celica, or get the matrix and repair the celica by myself/part it out and get some money back?

Notes:
Matrix is 4 years old(2003), the Celica is 15 (1992)
Matrix has 147,000KM's, Celica has 222,000 and climbing.
Matrix is 318 a month, celica is currently 250 + repairs.
Matrix will be out of warranty @ 200,000. Celica is way past that phase in its life.
Matrix I assume runs strong and well. Celica I know has a good working engine, and transmission. Just the body and suspension giving me headaches.

Halp?

2kSnakEater
08-10-2007, 06:34 PM
Do A Barrel Roll!

Idiot Stick
08-10-2007, 06:37 PM
I did a barrel Roll, but nothing happened and it didnt answer my questions.

Luni
08-10-2007, 06:55 PM
Once youve replaced everything on the celica, you wont have to anymore.

Id say if you have the money laying around, or can afford it, fix the celica.

If you dont have it all at once, and you need to finance it, then buy another car.

But I wouldnt necessarily get a Matrix. Theyre lame. Go for the Rolla XRS. :)

Azzazzyn
08-10-2007, 07:02 PM
yeah :( Luni saw my car in tennesee, bodywork is silly expensive which is why it'd been the way it is, but she stayed with the pack all day long and hehe I was so close to ciento's ass I had him shitting himself while ajilon was in the car with him. God I'm gonna miss that car, but in the future i will have to get another, maybe a deuce instead.

corvelx
08-10-2007, 07:26 PM
I just went through a similar decision myself.. I ended up selling my 5th gen and buying a nice 7th gen.

My 5th had 206,000 miles on it, in excellent mechanical condition and the body was in great shape. But the AC didn't work, and little things needed fixing (windshield, hatch lifts, leather on drivers seat).

The 7th gen was $12,000 with 58,000 miles on it and lots of extras. Besides being a good deal for the price, I bought it because I don't have the time or the facility to do all of the little work that the 5th gen needed.

Your maintenance costs and repair costs are a lot higher than the cost to finance a new (used) car. I'd say try to find a new car. If the matrix blows your hair back, go for it.

celicatrd93
08-10-2007, 07:47 PM
why not a celica gts? the difference between the rolla and matrix is your type of body style.your choice(4dr sedan hatchback ). the thing with older cars are they can get pricey after a while as in a money pit specially with high mileage cars. so if you have a chance to get a new car why not, get it now then later, also you will love the 2zz-ge feel the sitting in the older 5sfe celica. if i had a chance i would get something new right away. i seen a 2003 matrix 6spd xrs around the corner with 58,000 for only 12,500 which is not bad.

extremeskillz
08-10-2007, 08:01 PM
yea the celicas are high maintenance vehicles but one repairs are made they will last another 80K on the odometer. Bodywork, well, that the perc. But when fixed correctly you will have a good looking car for many more years.

extremeskillz
08-10-2007, 08:02 PM
O and if you can fix it yourself you just saved yourself a bundle of cash. The problem is many can not fix it and are lead to sell. I can say i do not have this issue as i done all suspension mods myself. THe only thing ive had it sent out for was a tune up and soon minor body restoration which will cost me 2 grand.

T-spoon
08-10-2007, 08:23 PM
It would be a mistake not to factor in maintenance on a newer car. I've bought 2 O2 sensors for our 02 Spyder with 60,000 /miles/ in the last few months. For me it wasn't so bad. My cost on the parts was about as low as you can get, and the labor was a non-issue. But that would normally be a few hundred dollars by itself. I've put 2 sets of tires on it in the last few years, and the top is needing work. There are NO guarantees that a newer car will cost you less in maintanence unless you put off what needs to be done until it's an older car that has not been maintained.

Not saying it's a bad idea to get teh Matrix, I'm just saying, don't calculate it too closely for your means based on the maintenance because newer does not guaranee no work.

Idiot Stick
08-10-2007, 08:23 PM
See I dont have time or the ability to put the car out of commision for a month or more to fix the body and suspension. I require it for work. Not need, require.

Im leaning towards maybe a Celica GTS, though im sure insurance will rape me

corvelx
08-10-2007, 08:41 PM
It would be a mistake not to factor in maintenance on a newer car. I've bought 2 O2 sensors for our 02 Spyder with 60,000 /miles/ in the last few months. For me it wasn't so bad. My cost on the parts was about as low as you can get, and the labor was a non-issue. But that would normally be a few hundred dollars by itself. I've put 2 sets of tires on it in the last few years, and the top is needing work. There are NO guarantees that a newer car will cost you less in maintanence unless you put off what needs to be done until it's an older car that has not been maintained.

Not saying it's a bad idea to get teh Matrix, I'm just saying, don't calculate it too closely for your means based on the maintenance because newer does not guaranee no work.

True, but he's much better off with a Toyota than some of the competition when you talk about maintenance.

Sean
08-10-2007, 08:56 PM
Moved. Car stuff does not belong in OT.

Sean
08-10-2007, 08:57 PM
FWIW, I turned 245,000 miles today (really has 260ish), and as long as you keep up on things, the car should theoritically last forever.

The difference with buying a new car, is you have the oppotunity to insure that the proper maintenance work is going to be done regulary.

Blackcloud
08-11-2007, 02:19 PM
diesel truck!!

:hehe:

extremeskillz
08-11-2007, 03:22 PM
FWIW, I turned 245,000 miles today (really has 260ish), and as long as you keep up on things, the car should theoritically last forever.

The difference with buying a new car, is you have the oppotunity to insure that the proper maintenance work is going to be done regulary.

That and if your car is a 1 owner like mine is.

extremeskillz
08-11-2007, 03:24 PM
diesel truck!!

:hehe:

Yes diesel engines do not require any mechenical maintenace exept little stuff like belt, alternator, water pump, etc. Cool part is you never need a tune up. Maybe clean the injectors every once in a while.

Idiot Stick
08-11-2007, 05:24 PM
Im considering this very much so...

http://www.canadatrader.com/result/detailinfo.aspx?ID=26456521&pgno=5&srt=7

Shut up, I know its a civic :hehe:

PhillyDRFT
08-11-2007, 05:29 PM
Did you ever think of the Yaris? it's been the Vitz in japan for a wile now.

My friend bought one for 13k flat new from the dealer. He gets around 35mpg. We went from Philly to South Carolina on around 3 tanks. He enjoys his for the most part. It's not the fastest thing ever but it's a pretty nice econobox.

aballz
08-14-2007, 10:28 AM
Mazda 3 or 6 is nice=) Used ones are cheap cheap too. Just do a carfax and make sure it wasn't used to a car rental company.