PDA

View Full Version : Wrong spark plugs - how big a deal?

Kiasis
08-10-2007, 06:00 AM
So I just discovered my engine has the plugs spec'ed for the 3sfe, not my 3sge. I'm changing them tomorrow, but wonder what issues this could have caused. Could this have resulted in the carbon build-up I seem to have w/ 180-185 psi compression? Anything else I should now put on the 'to do' list? Thanks.

PhillyDRFT
08-10-2007, 07:28 AM
Umm Carbon build up is a result of many factors. It's a natural by product of the combustion process. So very common to the inner workings of the engine. Other factors such as oil, bad a/f mixtures even your driving habits, Will also lead up to carbon build up.

Fuel carbon is a chalky black suit that cakes on the valves and ports. It's the harder of the two to remove.

Oil carbon is more of a tar like gunk that comes from worn piston rings. That will allow oil to seep through into the combustion chamber. In most cases it leaves a very very fine film on the cylinder walls that is burned off during combustion.

The 3sfe and 3sge are very similar engines. It's not that big of a deal.

I don't know who told you but 180-185 are good compression numbers for a 19 year old car.

Kiasis
08-10-2007, 08:02 AM
Well, the dealership shop foreman told me it was a bit high, and I noticed in the BGB that the compression is supposed to be about 178 psi max, so didn't know if I was doing damage by running too high a compression.

I was curious if the 3sge spark plug was designed for a faster and/or hotter spark than the 3sfe and perhaps that might be leaving some unburned fuel carbonizing (did I just invent a new verb?) my cylinders/valves.

Shadowlife25
08-10-2007, 12:53 PM
F = Economy
G = Performance

Kiasis
08-10-2007, 06:40 PM
^ - exactly, hence my wondering. BGB specs a different plug for each engine. I assume they have a reason for doing so. However, all parts stores I've seen list the plugs interchangeably for each engine. Perhaps doesn't matter, but I'm gonna run the BGB spec'ed plug just to be safe.

andy
08-10-2007, 06:42 PM
get some ngk bkr6e 's and be done with it. Those run fantastic in my 3sgte.