PDA

View Full Version : The ST205 RHD conversion beast...

94-Gt4conversion
08-10-2007, 04:19 AM
As anyone can see, there are hundreds of RHD ST205 GT4's around the Globe.

I have to believe that there are a few people in the United States that have taken on the monster of converting a 6th gen Celica into an all-track turbo.

I am going to be doing the conversion on my 94 GT over the next few months and i am looking for any others Celicatech members who have the joy of owning a LHD GT4 in the US.

Let me know that i wont be alone in the world out here!!!!

burnyd
08-10-2007, 07:00 AM
theres nobody off this board who has one. Jason. thats his actual name on this board knows someone in seattle I believe and he took pics if you look through the thread he posted a month ago of someone doing the converstion.

Also, someone on 6gc.net did a awd converstion to a 6th gen celica that was originally a ST and sold the car... I believe he sold it Im not 100% sure.

Other than that I know of ONE realy gt4 in the county it is in colombus the guys name is steve I have seen it in person its red.

Other than that spell alltrac the proper way!

But best of luck to you. If you can fabricate it doesnt look like it would take too long as long as you really have all the parts from a st205.

PhillyDRFT
08-10-2007, 07:42 AM
I don't see the need for a poll on this thread.

Post some pictures of your car. Your shop. The parts you plan to do the conversion with. Good luck to you. No.... I hate to say it but no one has bothered to convert their 6th gen into an alltrac seeing as alltrac was a ST185 chassis and that would be a lot of modification.

Smartass comments aside. Why do you want to do this? Are you a body technician? Do you really have the skill and knowledge to do this? Understanding that you will have to cut the floor pan. Have a new one molded and properly welded into place. With adequate reinforcement to hold the weight of a passenger not to mention pass structural rigidity tests to prove it meets or exceeds crash test ratings. I HIGHLY doubt you'll be able to make it street legal, unless they don't have any restrictions on vehicle modification in Utah.

From your post it sounds a little half baked is all. You could have delusions of grandeur. This is a BIG project. Skimping on ANYTHING puts you and any of your potential passenger's lives in jeopardy. Sounds mean but think about the millions spent on research and development to engineer the ST205. If you really think you have the means to adequately replicate it. Go for it.

Hiko
08-10-2007, 08:16 AM
I have seen one of the 4wd converted 6th gens. It's the one that was originally in Florida, then moved to Colorado, and by the time I saw it, had changed hands again.

A guy I know also claims to have seen a RHD ST205 on the road locally, but he's the type that I'm not too quick to believe.

Good luck with your conversion. Keep us updated on how things are going.

The Captain
08-10-2007, 03:12 PM
Their is a guy in Italy that did this conversion and posted his progress on GT4OC.com. Looked like a nightmare.

2kSnakEater
08-10-2007, 03:46 PM
RHD in the US is really just a ricer dream, They are rare but Iv seen some LHD ST205 and those are the ones I would go after.

be prepared do spend somewhere in the range of $10k-$20k to "convert" your non-awd Celica to an awd Celica.

PhillyDRFT
08-10-2007, 03:54 PM
Heres how you do it. Find a seller in canada with one. RHD or LHD any st205 will do. Buy it from him but keep all of his papers and registration with you, even the Canadian plates. Then simply drive it across the border. Swap plates once you get into the us.

Then take your 6th gen you have at home. Take everything out, All of the vin plates. Swap the doors so the stickers match. Take out the interiors of both. cut out the vin engravements on the firewalls and swap them. Weld em both in then repaint. Swap headlights and bumper supports.

I can't remember what else doesn't pass us restrictions at the moment. but yeah thats about it. Sell off the extras from your 6th gen as parts to offset your costs. Title it and insure it as a USDM 6th gen. Pay extra to have kit car insurance on it. They'll send someone out to take a loot at it before they insure you as a kit car.

That is the absolute safest, easiest and closest to legal way to get a ST205 here in the states.

2kSnakEater
08-10-2007, 04:07 PM
The above might not be legal, but it is the best way to do it.

Make sure you chop up the "donor car" into hudreds of tiny pieces so its unrecognisable.

TheNefariousOne
08-10-2007, 04:46 PM
For the money you're talking to do all of this, you'd be better served by buying a used WRX Sti or an Evo. Or hell, even an ST185 or DSM and mod the hell out of it with the extra money.

I guess it'd be worth it to say you did it yourself, but is that worth the huge monetary commitment?

PhillyDRFT
08-10-2007, 04:54 PM
The above might not be legal, but it is the best way to do it.

Make sure you chop up the "donor car" into hudreds of tiny pieces so its unrecognisable.

As long as theres no vin plates no one knows anything.

I would rather people sneek them in like that then compromise the complete structural integrity of a car to fit a driveshaft.

ChrisD
08-10-2007, 05:39 PM
wait until 2009. move to canada. import a 1994 st205. drive it. done.

celicatrd93
08-10-2007, 06:51 PM
import one, too much hassle to convert one.

burnyd
08-10-2007, 07:21 PM
Heres how you do it. Find a seller in canada with one. RHD or LHD any st205 will do. Buy it from him but keep all of his papers and registration with you, even the Canadian plates. Then simply drive it across the border. Swap plates once you get into the us.

Then take your 6th gen you have at home. Take everything out, All of the vin plates. Swap the doors so the stickers match. Take out the interiors of both. cut out the vin engravements on the firewalls and swap them. Weld em both in then repaint. Swap headlights and bumper supports.

I can't remember what else doesn't pass us restrictions at the moment. but yeah thats about it. Sell off the extras from your 6th gen as parts to offset your costs. Title it and insure it as a USDM 6th gen. Pay extra to have kit car insurance on it. They'll send someone out to take a loot at it before they insure you as a kit car.

That is the absolute safest, easiest and closest to legal way to get a ST205 here in the states.

you my friend should know well enough about the people with real silvias / skylines and getting their v ehicles impounded.

PhillyDRFT
08-10-2007, 08:23 PM
you my friend should know well enough about the people with real silvias / skylines and getting their v ehicles impounded.

s13 Silvias, R32, R33 and R34 Skylines stand out much more than your 6th gen celica. They draw a lot of attention to themselves. Not to mention most being RHD.

The people who get them impounded don't go through the proper channels. They don't get the car reinspected and titled as a kit car. They keep it insured and titled as a 240sx, Galant, or something else. Thats where they get cought.

Not to mention it's much easier to find USDM 6th gen headlights that aim the proper way, Bumper reinforcements, LCA's, and safety rated glass. Than it is to find that list for a skyline or silvia. You'll just look like a 3sgte swap. I'm sure if the proper place saw a DIY floorpan and differential mount. It would be pretty similar to the results of an Evo with galant Vin numbers.

2kSnakEater
08-10-2007, 08:29 PM
OR you can live in a state like Florida that you can have a Ferrari titled as a pinto and nobody will ever notice.

Gary
08-10-2007, 08:41 PM
Don't underestimate EPA or other related government units.
Try not to end up like one of these
http://www.oig.dot.gov/item.jsp?id=732

2kSnakEater
08-10-2007, 08:49 PM

holy crap :eek:

burnyd
08-10-2007, 09:01 PM
s13 Silvias, R32, R33 and R34 Skylines stand out much more than your 6th gen celica. They draw a lot of attention to themselves. Not to mention most being RHD.

The people who get them impounded don't go through the proper channels. They don't get the car reinspected and titled as a kit car. They keep it insured and titled as a 240sx, Galant, or something else. Thats where they get cought.

Not to mention it's much easier to find USDM 6th gen headlights that aim the proper way, Bumper reinforcements, LCA's, and safety rated glass. Than it is to find that list for a skyline or silvia. You'll just look like a 3sgte swap. I'm sure if the proper place saw a DIY floorpan and differential mount. It would be pretty similar to the results of an Evo with galant Vin numbers.

IN PA if you try to pull some shady shit like that the police officer will do it... youll never see the car ever again, they will impound it until further investigation then they will send it to the scrapper.

burnyd
08-10-2007, 09:13 PM

Yes, there was something like that here in PA but I didnt follow the story too much. Cars were swapped vin cars... the people went to jail and the cars were all crushed... yes owners tracked down and cars were crizuussshhhed!

The one guy had a pretty bad ass aristo though@