PDA

View Full Version : dsm's

celica91gts
08-09-2007, 05:49 AM
ive had a lot of firends that have had dsm's, they tell me thier nice and quick for the first few months. then they break down like crazy. is this true? becuase im getting really intested in the 3000 gt vr4. i think thier very nice cars. can anyone tell me from personal experience about dsms in general. ooo. also another question. why isnt it good to drop the clutch in an awd car such as the gt4, or gsx, or vr4?

PhillyDRFT
08-09-2007, 05:59 AM
I'm an ex owner of a 3000GT VR-4.

They are VERY nice cars. I only owned mine for a few weeks before I re-sold it. Insurance in PA is UNGODLY. If you're under 25 and want to drive anything bigger than a 4 banger. It also had some boost leak issues.

There very heavy cars. Mitsubishi's in general arent the most reliable things on the road. My sister has owned a 97 Eclipse spyder since 98. She's on her 2nd transmission 3rd rebuild. It still runs like shit sometimes.

VR-4's however hold their value pretty well. It's not going to be the fastest thing you'll own. If you keep it stock, maintain it well. and take care of it. It's not a bad car to own. Very good looking too I might add. Asside from that it's not something you want to go upgrading everything on and trying to squeeze horses out. It's capible of it, just with deep pockets.

burnyd
08-09-2007, 06:21 AM
well its a dsm, there all different but to sum them up.... they make incredible power for such small displacement motors but they break so easily.

Chris
08-09-2007, 06:55 AM
Huh, didn't realize the 3000gt/Stealth fell under DSM. I usually just think of early and mid 1990's Eclipses.

Sean
08-09-2007, 07:05 AM
I'm an ex owner of a 3000GT VR-4.

They are VERY nice cars. I only owned mine for a few weeks before I re-sold it. Insurance in PA is UNGODLY. If you're under 25 and want to drive anything bigger than a 4 banger. It also had some boost leak issues.

There very heavy cars. Mitsubishi's in general arent the most reliable things on the road. My sister has owned a 97 Eclipse spyder since 98. She's on her 2nd transmission 3rd rebuild. It still runs like shit sometimes.

VR-4's however hold their value pretty well. It's not going to be the fastest thing you'll own. If you keep it stock, maintain it well. and take care of it. It's not a bad car to own. Very good looking too I might add. Asside from that it's not something you want to go upgrading everything on and trying to squeeze horses out. It's capible of it, just with deep pockets.

I want to buy the girl a 98 RED VR4, keep your eyes out :) Convertible too!

LOL, Rare bird.

91 celica st
08-09-2007, 08:17 AM
i know 2 poeple that have owned them 1 raced one didnt

guy #1 blew 2 engines. was on his 3rd before he left for the military. car hasd very minor mods. no reason it should have blown

guy#2 blew 2 engines as well. this guy kept his shit CLEAN. oil change every 2k and blah blah blah. after the 2nd engine he built it with forgies and stuff. held ever since till he sold it

moral

pieces of shit that blow all the time but can be fast

90'BlackGTS
08-09-2007, 03:36 PM
i have had lots of experience with DSM's. The engines are awesome (best gas turbo engine that anyone ever built) *yes even better then the 3SGTE* For the money you put into them they put out crap loads of horsepower. The stock blocks are good to 450 WHP and i have seen lots of talons have 200k miles on them, and still boost up fine and go like snot. Sure the AWD ones need alot more matenience and you have to keep up with it! but im sure its like that with ANY AWD turbo car. They are going to obviously have more problems and need more matenience. The transmissions are the weak point of the DSM and its a good idea that if your tranny does ever go, get it rebuilt properly with better parts so it can hold up to the abuse.

i have a turbo talon engine in my 1993 dodge colt. and i have never had it break down on me once. Starts up everday for the last 3 years no problem at all.

zmile06
08-09-2007, 04:06 PM
I would never buy a DSM... They blow up all the time... Ive heard of people having an extra engine waiting around just because of how unreliable the DSM is.

The VR4 is probable the nicest DSM out there, but i still wouldn't buy one. I bought a Toyota so i wouldn't have to replace the engine every weekend:-/

celicatrd93
08-09-2007, 04:23 PM
everybody has said enough, there motors are great for quick cheap fast horsepower, but rarely last for a long time, you never noticed how the 95-99 eclipse turbo models are always supped up and they are letting the car go for dirt cheap. the future rarely looks good for those motors. for vr-4's they are also great cars, really heavy and mataince could be a bit pricey and finding motor parts could be a little hell. looking to uprgrade a v6 twin turbo cars (300zx,supra's,3000gt etc..) are pricey so get ready to be spending some money if you want to upgrade. if i ever had money i would grab the 98 3000gt 6spd 320hp models, i love those models.

celica91gts
08-09-2007, 06:59 PM
so why cant you dump the clutch on awd cars?

2kSnakEater
08-09-2007, 07:01 PM
cause you will break things

angryyoungnpoor
08-09-2007, 07:53 PM
You will break things eventually. Think about it. Dump the clutch and all of a sudden everything in the car is moving. There is no wheel spin. So that means the cv joints, motor mounts and everything else is jerked quite violently.

andy
08-09-2007, 08:11 PM
dont buy a dsm, i have 2 friends with them, little shit breaks ALL THE TIME, like the water pump, alt belt. they are quick though, while they last.

Ive seen ryan dump the clutch on his alltrac alot and he never broke anything.

NDMstang65
08-09-2007, 08:20 PM
Everything breaks regardless...i have both..

No experience with a vr4 or anything of that nature, but the 4g63 and 4g64 in the talons/eclipses/evo's when done right and if you know what you are doing is not going to break very easily...

Big problem many people have is the balance shafts, while it does help the longevity of the engine, the belts will break. When that breaks it gets tangled up in the timing belt..and being an interference engine causes you to bend every valve in the head...

Many people throw the "crank walk" thing out, yeah it can happen..but only really happens in the 2g 7 bolt engines. The 6 bolts do not do it. Bottom line is if you know what you are doing they aren't any less reliable than a Honda or a Toyota...if you abuse things they are going to break, especially if you do it blindly. Best thing one could ever do is get a palm and a logger program for the 1g cars where you can literally activate every sensor in the vehicle to check it is good/working or not,if you do a eprom ecu you can use dsm link and know exactly what is going on with the car at any given time...

I wish we had something like that for the celica's.

Cavanagh
08-09-2007, 08:28 PM
Waiting for luni*

My buddy has and eclispe 1996, its blows, already went through 1 engine and his new one has no power steering, and the throttle doesnt quite fully open....:slap:

If you want one, buy it and find out whether you like them or not.

WarTowels
08-09-2007, 09:30 PM
Dodge Stealth's, and 3000GT's are NOT dsm's.

I repeat, NOT dsm's.

They are in no way associated with Diamond Star Motors, it was developed 100% by Mitsubishi alone.

I'm not knocking DSM's, just stating it was not a DSM product.

-Towels

burnyd
08-09-2007, 10:06 PM
haha my buddy just called me and said his one friend backed out for the DSM Shootout and asked if I wanted to go with him next weekend.

celica91gts
08-10-2007, 12:21 AM
haha my buddy just called me and said his one friend backed out for the DSM Shootout and asked if I wanted to go with him next weekend.

WOW..... LMFAO

lburner
08-10-2007, 01:51 AM
i had one nice car and all but the transmission in the vr4's are glass. i know a couple of ppl that have them and there just sitting because of there shit ass trans... but when its driveable o man its a nice car

85gtsblackman
08-10-2007, 02:07 AM
then came subaru

it take an svx over a 3000gt

burnyd
08-10-2007, 07:03 AM
then came subaru

it take an svx over a 3000gt

hahahahha
hahahhaahahhaahaha
ahahahaa

okay, back to reality. Anyone would take a 3kgt vr4 over a svx.