PDA

View Full Version : Removing throttle body

Newbster
08-08-2007, 09:31 PM
Hi I am about to remove and clean my throttle body, my only question is, do I have to drain my coolant first?

davmac
08-08-2007, 10:11 PM
No. But there are two small rubber heater hoses that contain coolant that are attached. Expect a small amount to spill out. Do something to keep the hoses pointed up and they should stop leaking after a couple of ounces spill out.
Also be aware that there is a gasket between the throttle body and intake manifold. Try not to mess it up too much when you pull the throttle body off - or have a new gasket ready to install.

MCcelica
08-09-2007, 05:43 AM
The gasket on the throttle body should be fine as on a 5sfe that gasket is metal. I wouldn't worry about it too much, but just try to remember to put it back on when you put it back together. If you're cleaning out your throttle body you should take the extra 2 minutes to remove the IAC valve and give that a good cleaning too.

donteatbugs
08-09-2007, 10:28 AM
+1 on the iac

Newbster
08-13-2007, 11:12 PM
Is the IAC attached to the throttle body?

MCcelica
08-14-2007, 03:37 AM
Yup. It's got 4 screws holding it on from underneath. You will have to remove the throttle body first then take it off after you get the TB out.

andy
08-14-2007, 06:26 AM
careful though, i stripped one of mine out and had to slot it with a cutting tool.

MCcelica
08-14-2007, 08:23 AM
Oh yeah, true that. Those screws can be kind of stickey so make sure you've got a decent driver and have acces to a stable hard flat surface. I used a concrete driveway but if I hadn't I would have had a screw driver through my hand.