PDA

View Full Version : 90 Celica GT questions

birdfan
08-07-2007, 03:37 AM
First let me say thanks to all that post on this board on a regular basis!! You have provided me with a wealth of knowledge reading your posts, and I appreciate you all. I'm in the beginning stages of upgrading my '90 Celica GT, and I was wondering if anyone know if they make a Big Brake package (13" disc and rotors) for this car, or are we stuck with getting the cross drilled discs you can find just about anywhere? Also, I'm working on turboing my ride, and have been researching my different options. I'm at 220k on her, and I'm debating on whether I should rebuild the engine I have and go ahead and put a cam in it, as well as new pistons/rods, or just get a JDM 3sgte engine and call it a day. I wanna be pushing in the neighborhood of 300+ HP. Thanks again for all your help!!

PhillyDRFT
08-07-2007, 03:51 AM
Welcome to Celicatech. I'm glad you've found a lot of information that you're looking for so far.

For the Brakes. No one makes an off the shelf package for the ST18X celicas. In terms of 3 piston calipers etc... There is however a GT-S that goes up on ebay every now and then that has a set of I want to say Willwood brakes on it. It was some toyota factory series race car. I always said someone should buy it just for the parts lol.

If you're looking for the stopping force for 300hp. In a roughly 2800lb car. I would recomend doing the rear factory disc conversion. Then spend the extra money and buy good brake parts. You'll be best off with a vented disc. Brembo makes a nice set for us. And a nice set of pads. EBC green stuff are very nice. Also I don't know if they make pads for us but I have Endless pads on my 240 with stock rotors and calipers and I can't say how pleased I am with them. Same gripping force as the stock 300zx upgrade.

Some people will give you the cross drilled vs slotted argument. You won't need more stopping power than the 4 wheel disc conversion and a premium set of rotors and pads. Even if you swap to a 3sgte.

As for your power options, 300hp is achievable in a 3sgte. Reliability however depends on how much time and money you have to put into it. I've never owned a 3sgte but I'm sure there are enough people here who will tell you what it takes to get you there safely.

Your 5sfe that you have now will not make your 300hp goal. The head is built for economy not performance. Look up a 5sfte build by searching for a member named Pressure2 he has the best 5sfte setup I've ever seen. I remember toyota todd's 5sfte also but I haven't seen anything from it in a wile! Those two I believe have been the furthest with a 5sfte setup.

Good luck with your projects. Take it slow. Learn as much as you can, Keep an open mind and you won't go wrong.

Mr Celica
08-07-2007, 03:52 AM
with 220k on it i would not turbo that engine. for the amount of money you would spend replacing internals in your 5sfe and installing the turbo, you're better off doing the 3sgte swap. the engine is an all around better motor, with the performance head and such. they're meant to have a turbo whereas your 5sfe isn't, and can't handle as much boost. you can pick up the 3sgte for $1300 plus shipping with the ecu, wire harness, and the transmission which you can't use. its pretty much a bolt in swap. i'm not sure about the 300hp goal, that to me seems like it would take a lot more, maybe a larger turbo or whatever, but i'm sure its possible.

a lot of people on this site have done the swap and have pretty much all the questions you would have about doing it answered already, just use the search! i plan to be doing this swap also over the winter!

good luck!

Mr Celica
08-07-2007, 03:53 AM
oh yes and welcome!

birdfan
08-07-2007, 04:08 AM
Thanks Philly and Mr. Its funny you meantioned Pressure2's build. I just read the entire post the other night, and yes his car is AWESOME!! At 275hp, his is one of the reasons I considered rebuilding and turboing the engine that's in there now. I am with saving some money and going with wisdom though, and being the 3sgte is made for turbo, I do believe that will be the route I'll take. I've seen some pretty good JDM deals on ebay for around the $1100 mark plus shipping, and I have a buddy that owns a shop here in Sacramento that can put it in for me. I have priced out doing the rear wheel disc conversion, and it's only gonna run $300 for parts at my local Toyota junk yard. I'll keep y'all posted on my progress. Thanks again for your advice!!

PhillyDRFT
08-07-2007, 04:33 AM
No problem, Have fun with the brake conversion. It was the first thing I did to my GT when I got it. It's a very rewarding project.

geebes
08-07-2007, 05:19 AM
Welcome and 3sgte. :)

birdfan
08-08-2007, 12:32 AM
Good looking out Philly, I found the ECB Green website today, and actually found they have a "Red" version they sell at Summit Racing for our car for the front and the "Green" for the Rear. Rotoworks on Ebay has some pretty nice cross drilled/slotted rotors that I think I'm gonna go with. Definitely going with the 3sgte conversion. One question I still have. I saw on Presure2's posting where he did upgraded his fuel injectors to the RX7 460cc's. Would adding these injectors be a good idea to do as soon as I get my engine, or is there a better choice of injector for that engine. I'm trying to get my parts list together now, so I can go shopping when my $$$ comes in.

Mr Celica
08-08-2007, 12:35 AM
pressure2 has a 5sfte. i think the stock injectors on the 3sgte would work for now if you're doing that swap...

birdfan
08-08-2007, 01:03 AM
What is the best tranny to get for this swap? I hear alot of people talking about the Camry Solara tranny and MR2's. Are both of these 5 speed or is the Solara a 6 speed? And last question, if neither of these are 6 speed, is there a 6 speed tranny that will fit in our Celica without having to get one custom built?

PhillyDRFT
08-08-2007, 01:07 AM
it's ither 5sfte or not. Adding injectors won't help you much, you'll have to get a piggyback computer to help your ECU compensate for the new injectors. You might also have to add different wiring and fuel lines dependent if there top feed, side feed, hi impedance or low impedance. Save the money and put it to a 3sgte. It's the best bang for your buck, you won't be disappointed. Take it from someone who has already tried turboing the 5sfe and spun a barring. It's just not the engine for it.

I would read about the Cross Drilled VS slotted argument. There is also a lot of info online about steel braded line vs OEM. I would read as much as I can about how the two work to make a more educated decision on what is the best mix of pad to rotor you're buying. Howstuffworks.com is GREAT for this.

If it were me. I would go with Green or Red stuff pads. I've used green never Red I forgot they even made them lol. And a set of brembo slotted rotors. There a very nice mix. Just because there Something AND Something doesn't always mean there good. Remember when putting them on there directional and heed the break in instructions. If you read up, take your time. You'll be much happier in the end

PhillyDRFT
08-08-2007, 01:09 AM
What is the best tranny to get for this swap? I hear alot of people talking about the Camry Solara tranny and MR2's. Are both of these 5 speed or is the Solara a 6 speed? And last question, if neither of these are 6 speed, is there a 6 speed tranny that will fit in our Celica without having to get one custom built?

s54 out of the 6th gen celica will also work on a 3sgte. I've heard it's much stronger. As for the better of them. It's preference in gearing.

There isn't a 6speed that will just bolt upto the 3sgte that I'm aware of.

birdfan
08-08-2007, 01:31 AM
Cool, I'll shop around for a s54. I also plan on looking into emange, to see if it will work for what I'm trying to do.

PhillyDRFT
08-08-2007, 01:40 AM
Correction. I meant much stronger in comparison to the s53 that is stock in the 5th gen. Not in comparason to the camry, solara, mr2 transmissions.

birdfan
08-08-2007, 08:23 PM
So I guess my question is, will the stock tranny I have now fit the new engine, or should I go shopping for the MR2/Camry tranny? I got a quote for my new engine yesterday. It's gonna cost $1350, that includes shipping to my buddies shop.

PhillyDRFT
08-09-2007, 03:59 AM
It'll work. How long it will last is a coin toss. Some people break them some people they work. It's cheap insurance to use a different transmission now wile everything is out. If you have the extra money go for the MR2 trans. It is geared for the 3sgte. It's a nice partnership. They also come with a LSD stock which will be great for traction issues.

Mr Celica
08-09-2007, 04:01 AM
ok so an off topic question, if i were to buy a rear clip from an MR2 turbo would i be able to use that whole setup or is the wiring harness different? what does it take to swap the tranny to fwd?

birdfan
08-09-2007, 09:55 AM
Think I'll go with the one I got for now so I can get her going with the new engine. That will give me time to look around for a good deal. Worst case, I got a couple of friends that know how to build trannies that can rebuild the one I have if I need.

Murgatroy
08-09-2007, 11:23 AM
ok so an off topic question, if i were to buy a rear clip from an MR2 turbo would i be able to use that whole setup or is the wiring harness different? what does it take to swap the tranny to fwd?
It is not worth it. I looked into this as well.

With the MR2 tranny you still have to change the shift linkage and weld a new mount. Not impossible and quite common.

The problems come in the wiring harness, it is different than an ST185 harness, as the Celica and MR2 are different platforms. You must plumb a FMIC. The water necks are different. The alternator mounts are different. In the end, you will wind up sourcing another $500 in parts to get it put in, and that isn't counting the maintenance you should be doing anyway before dropping it in.

It is just easier to get an ST185 clip and go from there, sourcing a new transmission. Or, as mentioned, taking your chances and using your old one. The 3SGTE will bolt up to the stock tranny mated to a 5SFE.

The Camry/Solara V6 tranny is arguably the easiest option as it is capable of taking the horsepower of the 3SGTE and is already setup for FWD applications.

The MR2 tranny involves a fair amount of fabrication to get it to work, the linkage must be changed to a FWD setup and the axles need to be custom built using MR2 inners and ST185 outers.

I am sure most of us pondering the swap have been to this thread (http://www.celicatech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81) titled 'Thinking of Swapping,' but if you haven't, it is a must read. It covers almost everything, and when you come out the other side, the questions you have will be more educated and easier to answer.

Good luck, I myself am in the planning stages for swapping. I am just waiting on the time and money to align with the moon. ;) I hope to have it completed by next year's Dragon Meet.