PDA

View Full Version : Tire spin on a ST (real question)

david in germany
02-11-2005, 06:43 AM
Do any of you other st owners have problems with tire spin when excelerating in the wet?
I hit second gear (doesn't matter about which surface) in the rain or wet roads and try to excelerate hard and the tires let loose almost every time.. It doesn't matter if I have the stock tires on 185-65-14's or the 215-40-16's it will do it. does anyone else have this problem?
I havent done any major performance mods to the car (intake and exhaust is done) but it still feels a bit strong.
David
PS I am not complaing about haveing power just wanted to know if it is normal.

Blackcloud
02-11-2005, 09:06 AM
it happens to me when i used to drive the exs fwd car..

rare in mine tho.. *stereo dead weight*

EvilSpeeder
02-11-2005, 03:17 PM
Yah, I have that problem in 3rd....at 9psi. :)

When my car was stock tho, it would spin in first and when I hit second hard.

Truganini
02-11-2005, 04:35 PM
Just put an extra couple hundred pounds (5fse) over your front wheels, and then the lack of power will ensure that you don't have traction problems. (What am I talking about, the 5fse chirps my tires when I shift to 3rd. Now all the swappers can say "I spin my tires when I am idling in 5th" or something).

If it is seriously a problem, don't give as much throttle when driving in low traction situations.

PerSonalHell
02-11-2005, 04:56 PM
Just put an extra couple hundred pounds (5fse) over your front wheels, and then the lack of power will ensure that you don't have traction problems. (What am I talking about, the 5fse chirps my tires when I shift to 3rd. Now all the swappers can say "I spin my tires when I am idling in 5th" or something).

If it is seriously a problem, don't give as much throttle when driving in low traction situations.
What the hell are you talking about?

ocb_dave_ocb
02-11-2005, 05:55 PM

My car has a 5SFE its lacking no power.. I have the same problem if i shift hard 2nd it will spin... My car doesnt have much either.. Intake,Exhaust,Timing adjust a LIL... Oh well i would like to see TRUG elaborate.. Because i have no clue what there talkin bout'

SilverCel
02-11-2005, 07:51 PM
it all depends on your tires man.

when i have my dunlop sp5000's that were bald i could spin 5th gear in the wet.

w/ my yokohama avs es100's i could chirp second.

can't do it w/ the eagle f1's though that i have now.

i'm talkin w/ a 5s tho.

90CelicaST
02-11-2005, 08:38 PM
I have a '90 ST and when the roads are wet, in first when i get to about 4.5k the tires start spinning, then I shift into 2nd and they get traction. Just my $.02

david in germany
02-11-2005, 08:40 PM
The 14's are a dunlop off brand (sticky) and the 16's are toyo proxie ts1's and neither are worn out. It is not when I shift, it is after the shift (if I wanted to I could keep them spinning going way into 3rd) but this is not trying to do it just hard exceleration.
David

ocb_dave_ocb
02-11-2005, 09:45 PM
I have a '90 ST and when the roads are wet, in first when i get to about 4.5k the tires start spinning, then I shift into 2nd and they get traction. Just my $.02

Mine were spinning after the shift so i dont know man... I have 215/45/17 Kumho Ecsta Supra 712's on mine with about 6/32's left

Sean
02-11-2005, 09:53 PM
You can spin the tires on a lawn mower when its wet out. Im a bit perplexed by this query, the solution seems obvious.

You have tire spin when it rains, so dont try to go fast in the rain.....

Truganini
02-12-2005, 12:26 AM
My car has a 5SFE its lacking no power.. I have the same problem if i shift hard 2nd it will spin... My car doesnt have much either.. Intake,Exhaust,Timing adjust a LIL... Oh well i would like to see TRUG elaborate.. Because i have no clue what there talkin bout'

I was just pointing out that the ST's have less weight over their front tires, in part because their engines weigh less (a couple hundred pounds I image) than the 5sfe. Less weight means less traction.

As far as the 5fse lacking power, I pointed out that it's possible to chirp the tires when shifting hard into 3rd, but 130 hp and 140 ft-lb of torque is not too impressive. If you really do have serious traction problems with the 5fse (or 4afe), I'm betting that you're going too heavy on the gas and/or shifting improperly.

I was only joking about the swappers spinning their tires at an idle in 5th.

Mike431635
02-12-2005, 01:15 AM
My ST doesn't spin tires at all :P

All hail auto!

Abacaba
02-12-2005, 03:53 AM
My ST doesn't spin tires at all :P

All hail auto!

Use the 1st and 2nd gear selecter on the shifter.

Rayme
02-12-2005, 05:30 AM
you guys continue to like the power of the ST while I enjoy being drunk, wtf ???