PDA

View Full Version : Anyone using Summit gauges?

PhillyDRFT
08-04-2007, 06:53 PM
I'm looking for a few gauges. I'm doing a bit of work on my 240 so I want to keep an eye on everything after I'm done. I'll be taking the intake manifold off, taking out the butterflys. Rerouting the intake. Relocating the battery to the trunk. Fixing the mounting of my electric fans. New cat, Exhaust piping and re undercoating the frame. (found a bit of rot that scares me :( ) But thats besides the point.

So I'm looking to get a Vac gauge to keep an eye for any vac leaks, a better water temp gauge than stock (it's really bad on s13's). And a volt meter to make sure the battery charges well and works ok with my electric fans.

Has anyone used Summit gauges? I was going to get some cheap sunpro's but I read a lot of bad reviews on them. So stumbeling around I found summit's own brand and they've gotten pretty good reviews. There not badly priced between 20$-30$ each. I've never ordered from them but I've heard there a pretty reputable company. Never heard a bad story.

What do you guys think?

Murgatroy
08-04-2007, 10:37 PM
When I built my race car years ago, I bought a bunch of Summit Gauges. I bought the three pack, Volt, Oil Pressure and Coolant Temp. All mechanical. They are still with the engine and working last I knew, almost 10 years later.

I have never used electronic gauges. Just a personal preference. I am aware that with mechanical gauges you run into more issues with routing and fitment, but I trust them more for some reason. They are cheaper too.

Just make sure you have a good seat on the fittings when you install them. I remember a buddy of mine I built an engine for. He did final fitment and started the car while I was at work. When I got there the entire interior was covered in oil. I mean soaked. He forgot to fit the oil line to the gauge. It was funny. Till I had to drive the car. :hehe:

Summit is hands down one of the United State's largest go fast suppliers. I have spent probably $10,000+ with them over the years. They have fast shipping, great customer service, and if something is wrong, they make it right. I have even been known to take a Summit Catalog into parts stores to haggle. Especially know that they offer free shipping.

There is a reason I point a lot of folks to www.SummitRacing.com when they are asking about parts and prices. It should be any gearhead's bible IMO. ;)

PhillyDRFT
08-05-2007, 12:19 AM
Thankyou very much murg. I hold your opinion within high esteem. I also have the same preference on mech gauges for some reason taking out the sending unit makes me feel like theres better accuracy. I'm not going to touch oil gauges. for that very reason I would mount the oil PSI gauge outside of the car. on the cowl. I'd probably get made fun of lol.

I just want a cost effective gauge that won't be a complete waste of money so I can keep an eye on the lasting effects of everything I'm doing. I've been working on cars for 5 years now and I still don't feel as confident in my work as I should. I like the extra piece of mind to be able to keep an eye on things I might not notice by sounds or feelings.

Thanks for the input I'll probably order them soon.

burnyd
08-05-2007, 12:20 AM
there decent gauges from what I hear, especially for the price.

what are you doing to your car?

and agreed on the temp gauge.

just drop a sr in it! jeez!

PhillyDRFT
08-05-2007, 12:26 AM
there decent gauges from what I hear, especially for the price.

what are you doing to your car?

and agreed on the temp gauge.

just drop a sr in it! jeez!

lol I'm not a big fan of the SR, if built properly I can match the SR with just as much more potential out of a KA-T for around the same price. I've driven a few SR20 powered 240's and I just don't really like the engine. Even though my KA has broken a few times on me. It's still in very good shape and I keep it well. I have more faith in it than some front clip I've never seen before.

I'm eliminating the EGR. Taking out the butterflys from the intake manifold. Cleaning the IAC. Fixing the exhaust leak, Replacing the CAT, Relocating the battery to the trunk. And refiting the fans and thermoswitch setup so I feel a little safer with it. I'm going to run the power to them through a relay to the fuel pump so they don't stay on when the car is off and hot. I might even rig in a 5 minute timer or something. I haven't decided. I know heat displacement is a huge problem for 240's so I want a more accurate water temp. The volts to keep an eye on the new battery setup and the Vac so I can keep a very close eye on any vac leeks that may spring up.

I've been hiding the celica for now. I want to drive it so badly but work on it is going slow since I'm planning pretty much a ground up rebuild for it,

burnyd
08-05-2007, 12:31 AM
lol I'm not a big fan of the SR, if built properly I can match the SR with just as much more potential out of a KA-T for around the same price. I've driven a few SR20 powered 240's and I just don't really like the engine. Even though my KA has broken a few times on me. It's still in very good shape and I keep it well. I have more faith in it than some front clip I've never seen before.

fair enough. As long as your not one of those omgs the ka > Sr20 !! Theres no reason to sr blah blah types lol... I feel its a better motor. square, will take more of a beating , more aftermarket. And theres a rooooom for a ton of imporvement on a stock bottom end... I meen you see what people are making on a stock bottom end its retarded. 535rwhp.

I'm eliminating the EGR. Taking out the butterflys from the intake manifold. Cleaning the IAC. Fixing the exhaust leak, Replacing the CAT, Relocating the battery to the trunk. And refiting the fans and thermoswitch setup so I feel a little safer with it. I'm going to run the power to them through a relay to the fuel pump so they don't stay on when the car is off and hot. I might even rig in a 5 minute timer or something. I haven't decided. I know heat displacement is a huge problem for 240's so I want a more accurate water temp. The volts to keep an eye on the new battery setup and the Vac so I can keep a very close eye on any vac leeks that may spring up.

I've been hiding the celica for now. I want to drive it so badly but work on it is going slow since I'm planning pretty much a ground up rebuild for it,

cool should free up some good power!

andy
08-05-2007, 02:11 AM
argggghhh matie

PhillyDRFT
08-05-2007, 02:29 AM
Well Don't get me wrong I don't HATE the Sr20. I think it's a bit overrated, but it gets credit where credit is due. Through the 90's it was tied with the 3sgte for most imported engine into the USA. It does it's job well. It's just not the engine for me. I like the idea of a square motor. It feels safer. There are people making 500+hp on stock bottom end SR20's but if you look on the KA-T forums there are a handfull people getting that out of there KA-T it's just a lottery until the SR cracks the block or the KA breaks a rod or ringland.

There very similar and very different in a lot of ways. I like the Cast Iron block myself. It's held upto 800hp on Ivan's 240. The sr20 is built with turbo in mind but they all come from japan using the same metal recopies. Which is great because then you have basicly the same variable to work with time in and time out, hence the aftermarket. Whereas there were 3 KA blocks made, USA, Mexico and Japan from what I've been told. All of them having different propertys. It makes a variable not many people think about when turbocharging , this gave the ka a bad name. The blocks aren't the biggest problem the ringlands and rods are. They as well come from different refining processes depending on what plant they came from.

I like the extra torque and power curve from the KA-T. I put the extra time and effort in to make sure I can run it dependably. It takes roughly the same ammount of work to get "Reliable" Power out of both. I don't indulge in the KA vs SR argument aside from it's a choice that most 240 owners come to making and you can't really go wrong ither way.

PhillyDRFT
08-05-2007, 02:30 AM
argggghhh matie

Haha I love you andy.. when are you coming to Philly?

burnyd
08-05-2007, 05:00 AM
lol, well true statement. Its so funny when your a 240 owner... people will literually stop you on the street and ask you.. I meen like your not driving or doing anything important " DO YOU DRIFT !?!?!?!?!" "Do you have a blow off valve? Is it loud?"

Also when I had my 240, everyone said " Yah I have a budy whos building 240."

or Id head " those sr20s are a waste of money my buddy turbo'd his ka"

it was just a funny club.

PhillyDRFT
08-05-2007, 05:03 AM
Haha I always get asked "Is it Turbo?" "Oh yeah SR?!" "WHY NOT?"

Theres only a handfull of KA-T's around here. There getting more lately but everyones got an SR for the most part.

When I had my celica with the invader kit people would ask me what year my supra is all the time.