PDA

View Full Version : My alignment is done!

zmile06
08-04-2007, 12:13 AM
I'm posting these numbers up, give me some insight on whats going on.

Keep in mind he said the camber would of made the car rub, he even said it did slightly rub when taking heavy bumpers. He also said the toe was frozen, and he was afraid of turning it more encase it would snap.

I still dont understand why the SAI and included angle is off by almost twice its recommended range.

The car drives striaght, he replaced the tie rod ends, installed camber kit. etc.

Front left:
-Camber 1.12
caster 1.10
Toe 0.04IN
SAI 7.02
included angle 5.89

Front Right:
-Camber 1.25
caster 1.24
Toe 0.03in
SAI 7.83
included angle 6.56

Front:
cross camber 0.16
cross caster 0.14
Cross SAI -0.82
total toe 0.82

Rear: left
camber -2.41
Toe 0.08in

Rear: right
camber -2.25
Toe 0.03in

Rear
cross camber -0.16
total toe 0.11in
Thrust angle 0.05

KoreanJoey
08-04-2007, 09:00 AM
I gotta tell ya but... still too much camber in the back... and it also doesn't say if it's toe in or toe out... that concerns me a little.

Shadowlife25
08-04-2007, 02:48 PM
Rear: left
camber -2.41
Toe 0.08in

Rear: right
camber -2.25
Toe 0.03in

Rear
cross camber -0.16
total toe 0.11in
Thrust angle 0.05

It's there. ;)

zmile06
08-04-2007, 03:42 PM
ya the camber is off... I'm not saying it isnt, the reason is there isn't enough room... The car will rub. Its better then what it was, thats for sure.

My problem is my tires are 215/45/17... If they were 215/40/17 i would of had no problem most likely. The camber is off by less then .50, so i might not even notice. The range is between .50 and 2.00 in the rear.

The camber in the front is off too...

WHen putting the camber kit in should you use the top of bototm bolt...? I bought a camber kit off e-bay and it didnt say. Should i of bought a more expensive camber it...?

vms4evr
08-04-2007, 11:33 PM
Yeah, what shadowlife said...

Do what you need to so that camber and toe are equal on both sides. You always take the weakest side and drop the strongest side to it. You do not run max camber on each side and leave it uneven like that. Bad practice. Your alignment guy should know better. Your camber numbers show more RF and LR. With the addition of inconsistent toe settings (not as far off as the camber) that is your problem. You can still make a car steer straight from the drivers feel and have it wrong. That's the case here.

Now what do you mean about rubbing. Where? What size wheels and tires? Spacers? On my GT there is a ton of clearance for the tire outside edge to the lip of the fender. Tight as hell next to the strut. And mine is screwed up and probably has positive camber looking at the tire wear. I would think with -2 camber in the rear you would be hitting the tower somewhere unless you are running large spacers.

Rix86
08-05-2007, 01:13 AM
get 16's

zmile06
08-05-2007, 04:52 AM
215/45/17... Rubbing as in if i hit a bump it will rub...

So is it bull shit its not the same on both sides?

I took it to a pretty expensive corvette shop that does alignments. They charged me 130 for an alignment. Then they replaced tire rod ends and installed the camber kit.

I'm not too happy, but what can i do at this point. He said the toe would of snapped if he went any harder with it because it was seized up.

KoreanJoey
08-05-2007, 08:29 AM
umm... he probably turned it on the inside and there's a tabbed bolt there... he needed to turn it towards the front of the car... that's what you get for going to a corvette shop to work on a toyota.

Shadowlife25
08-05-2007, 12:04 PM
^^ agreed. Not bad mouthing Corvettes or GM shops, just happens that most gearheads that are working for a domestic dealer won't really care about an import. Also the price you paid wasn't for any "special" alignment, it was for the parts replacement and a base alignment.

zmile06
08-05-2007, 03:50 PM
Eh there a corvette shop but they do alignments for pretty much every vechile... They did a better job then the people i took it to last time so i guess i cant complain too much. Just kinda pissed the SAI is off by so FREAKING much.

vms4evr
08-05-2007, 05:53 PM
Take it back and tell them that even if they are having problems setting toe that camber is wrong. You want it balanced. So have the higher side reduced to meet the lower side. At least your camber will be closer.

Suggest that maybe they try what KoreanJoey said about the bolts. Don't sound condescending. Just tell them a Toyota mechanic mentioned it as something to try. Do not tell them "I heard it on the Internet". Besides being upset they might hit you :slap:

I saw your other thread and looked at "The Corvette" shop you took it too. Looks like Vettes are their specialty but the alignment guy should be able to align anything as long as the car is capable of being true. And he knows where all the alignment nuts/bolts are...

I get my Vette aligned at the same place I would take any car that I own. The guy is cool and doesn't come off like he knows everything. So when I took my Z06 in I explained I had lowered it on the stock bolts. He didn't realize I could do that and wants to corner weight it just to see how that works out so he can more business in the future. That is the attitude you want to see.

Your camber issue in the front also affects your caster. When you get greedy with camber then caster suffers. They are not independent of each other. As you get to the end of the camber range it starts to loose caster and it's very visible. Front toe is ok left to right. A difference of .01 is ok. In the rear it's all wrong. Give up some camber on the higher side and get it down to the lower side. If all the toe you can get on RR is .03 then move LR down to it. Do not leave RR at .08. That is too much delta between them.

Don't let them BS you on that. I saw the alignment equipment they advertise on their website. That is a top of the line Hunter rack. IF the car is true and you don't have a bent up frame or hardware then they can get it dead on.

If you know which bolt he complained about being frozen. Then spray the shit out of it with PB Blaster or whatever you have. Do it several times over the course of a day. If that won't free it up then you might have to bust it out and put a new one in.

Has this car ever been in an accident? If so what and how much damage?

You said the front rubs on bums. You didn't tell me where. Inside against the strut, outside against the fender lip, or the top of the tire? You have lowering springs also? I'm assuming the wheel/tire combo you chose is part of the problem rubbing with the possibility of lowering it too much?

zmile06
08-05-2007, 06:49 PM
I'm going to e-mail this guy for the third time if he dosent reply in a week im going down to the shop or calling him.

vms4evr
08-05-2007, 11:22 PM
Don't waste anymore time with email if you have already sent them twice. A lot of these smaller shops don't respond well to email. I've dealt with that before with a buy who used to do my alignments. He just didn't have enough time to get to email. It was on the end of his list. Phone calls he responded to. Call them 1st thing Monday morning. Give them your cell phone number so you'll actually get the call when they return it. If you don't have a response by lunch time on Tuesday then get down there and get in their face. Be polite but forceful. If they still jerk you around then stop being polite.

In the future you make sure you get the printout *before* the car is taken off the rack. Review with the alignment guy. If they are not close, like your current alignment, then tell them it is not acceptable and they need to get it closer.

Let me know how it goes. I'll get a hold of some of Vette buddies over on CF and ask about this shop. I'm sure someone has used them. I'll see if I can get any feedback on their work.

Sean
08-05-2007, 11:43 PM
Wow, thats really cool of you!

zmile06
08-06-2007, 12:30 AM
Actually this guy has replied to every e-mail the same night, i think he might be ignoring me to be honest... I cant call around noon tomorrow because ill be at work. I will actually be working every day this week until Sunday:-/ I'll try to call them when i get home.

vms4evr
08-10-2007, 08:52 PM
I spoke with Dale at TachItUp yesterday for about an hour. Good guy and honest. I'd take my car to him if I lived up there. I also got recommendations from several other Vette guys who either street drive and/or race their cars. While he is predominately a Vette shop he does know how to align other cars.

He charged you for the parts swapping and didn't really charge you for the alignment. The car needs more work. I PM'd you the details.

Good luck.

zmile06
08-11-2007, 01:03 AM
He charged me 311 for a half ass alignment is how i see it... He never told me he didn't mount the front camber bolts, infact i don't know where they are!

He never told me my car needed "that much work" he said the toe was off my a little bit and it was seized up.

I'm not sure how that would stop the entire alignment job to be off by so much.

He pretty much told vms4evr that my car had too many miles on it and that i was on its last leg... The engine hasn't reached 150k yet... Almost everything has been replaced on it.

I'm never going NEAR tach it up again and i veered my boss from going there... All i did was tell him my situation, and he thought it was bull shit also. Miles mean nothing if the car is maintained well END OF STORY.

If the parts needed replaced then he could of let me do it before he aligned it, or did it for me and i would of paid him. I honestly told him i would pay him for anything that needed replaced just to call me. He never called me...

This guy lied to me about installing the front camber bolts... But told vms4evr he didnt because of "saftey issues" that i was never notified about. I wonder where my front camber bolt is?

vms4evr
08-11-2007, 08:28 AM
Well I'm not sure I can be of much more help to you. I don't know your car at all. I have feedback from several Corvette owners who are very happy with him and continue to take their cars to him. I'm not say you're wrong. That doesn't mean you did or didn't get a raw deal.

He said the camber kit was an issue. So yeah, according to what you told me you have a receipt for the install. He said the fronts he didn't do. There is something wrong there with what he told me and what he charged you for.

He said with the springs you are using you have almost no suspension travel. I checked with a local Certifiied Toyota mechanic that I know. He wasn't surprised. He's the one who told me not to get a spring kit. They're good for lowering your car for looks. Not so much for performance. If someone can prove that wrong I'm all ears because I was going to lower mine and add adjustable shocks for the intent of handling. I was told to either stick with stock springs and adjustable shocks or go coil over.

Anyway, sorry I couldn't help you more. At least I did try. You're pissed and feel you got ripped off. So go back down to his shop and take it up with him.

My opinion about your alignment hasn't changed. It is not right and the issue is most likely with the tie rod that could not be removed. If you can get someone to R&R that then your alignment should come out better.

You could always try the Toyota dealer. Maybe pricey but for that part it may be worth it.

Good luck with it.

zmile06
08-11-2007, 10:00 PM
I talked to dale and figured things out... vms4evr misunderstood what dale said so i tore dale a new ass, and made him pretty much turn completely red. We eventually figure out what was going on and made up... Were on good terms, i'm just not fully happy with how dale handled the situation. I think its a young business so there is some stuff he needs to learn... They do great work though.

vms4evr
08-12-2007, 02:28 AM
Sorry about confusing the issue on the ebay bolt kit... :( I did misunderstand that part. But I did get the rest of the conversation :)

Your mailbox is full.