PDA

View Full Version : Cleaned Engine Bay

Baffles
08-02-2007, 09:43 PM
I cleaned my engine bay today using Gunk Engine Brite Foam and some other random cleaner/shiner I found at Advance. $6 for 2 cans of the Gunk, and $5 for the shiner. Came out pretty nice.

Here are the before and after pics. (http://picasaweb.google.com/baffles/August2EngineBayCleaning)

extremeskillz
08-02-2007, 11:23 PM
Now get in there an detail by hand like i did.

Baffles
08-03-2007, 01:36 AM
I would have detailed a lot more by hand, but it was 95 degrees out and I was sweating my ass off barely doing any work. I'll save the detailing work for a cooler day. ;D

extremeskillz
08-03-2007, 02:16 AM
Yea i hear its hot as hell out here too. It came out clean tho. A rag with armor or your favorite detailer and hand wipe the rubber and plastics does wonders. Good luck

gt lifthback
08-03-2007, 06:28 AM
is it true that sometimes you could clean the engine with a high pressure hose and some compound that takes grease of

extremeskillz
08-03-2007, 08:41 PM
YEs, but only true if your using hot water. But i use a high pressure hose end you can buy at pepboys. FIll it up with soap. LEt the engine cool down to warm. Spray entire area with engine degreaser of your choice. Let it sit for five minutes. Switch the hose end to soap and you'll get soap out of the hose and spray down the engine. Scrub dow the trouble areas. Then last but not lease switch the hose end to water and rinse clean.

Let it dry for a little while then with armol all or black magic detailer hand detail all plastics, rubber hoses, etc to nice shine and engine block as well. And there you have it a shinny engine.

O while washing and rinsing please cover major electrics like the distributer and the intake so water will not touch them.

gt lifthback
08-04-2007, 02:21 AM
cool thanks for the advice

Baffles
08-04-2007, 03:31 AM
Well, you shouldn't have to cover that stuff if you are using just regular hose pressure because you get water and crap up in the engine bay whenever it rains anyway (the splash guards only block the major stuff). I did mine without covering anything, and the only problem I had was a little bit of water in one of the spark plug wire ends which caused a short and only firing on 3 cylinders under load, which didnt start happening until the engine was hot. All I did was pull over, pull off the wires, let them air out for a minute (the heat evaporated the water), and pop them back on and continue driving.

extremeskillz
08-04-2007, 01:02 PM
Well, you shouldn't have to cover that stuff if you are using just regular hose pressure because you get water and crap up in the engine bay whenever it rains anyway (the splash guards only block the major stuff). I did mine without covering anything, and the only problem I had was a little bit of water in one of the spark plug wire ends which caused a short and only firing on 3 cylinders under load, which didnt start happening until the engine was hot. All I did was pull over, pull off the wires, let them air out for a minute (the heat evaporated the water), and pop them back on and continue driving.

You don't have to cover them but im a prick when it comes to this stuff so i will cover it all up for just in case. Working for me and no incidents so far. O my car doesn't see weather. :hehe:

Shadowlife25
08-04-2007, 02:42 PM
A soft-bristle brush is great for cleaning up light oil deposits. Just spraying chemicals on and expecting them to clean it to a shine is unrealistic though. You gotta get your hands dirty to make the car clean eh? ;)

Oh, and Extremeskillz got it right. You should ALWAYS cover major electrics when doing this type of cleaning. (alternator, distributor, coil, intake...) It's not being anal or anything, it's proper procedure. It only takes one time to burn up sensitive electronics or to suck water through the intake and hydro-lock your engine. Worst case scenario, but still....:shrug: Better safe right? ;)

PhillyDRFT
08-04-2007, 06:42 PM
I did this a long time ago. I used some Purple engine cleaner that had a riced out honda on the lable. BEST stuff ever! the instructions were to spray it on the engine. It foams up then slides off. Come back and spray it down. It broke up 90% of the oil and grime over the engine.

The time I spent with a bottle of black magic engine detailer, a tooth brush and a lint free cloth though...... Were not gonna talk about it ^.^ Sadly that celica is long gone and the work is in vein lol

MoralWarfare
08-14-2007, 11:11 PM
engine bay looks good :)

at work we just leave the car running, spray all purpose cleaner (shit we use to wash the floors), and hose down. works well on BMW plastics. GUNK engine brite works well on most engine metals.

1990CelicaGT-S
08-16-2007, 04:23 AM
Your telling my I didn't have to pull the motor, repaint the engine bay and engine parts to make it look decent? Damn.