PDA

View Full Version : alignment numbers?

zmile06
08-02-2007, 09:18 PM
My car is getting aligned right now, i was just curious what the perfect degree for alignment is for a 1993 toyota celica ST. The guy said my wheel are tucked up pretty close to the fender, so he is doing 1.35 camber or something like that, or else it might rub.

Whats the perfect degrees on all alignment components?

zmile06
08-02-2007, 09:24 PM
The guy is doing a performance set up since my car is pretty much set up for that i guess, 17 low profile wheels and lowered. he said the camber was up there when he got it, so that was probable big reason i burned thru my last tires in like 1 or 2 years.

I'm still curious what the perfect alignment would be for a daily driver... He said it would take corners and stuff much better with this set up.

My question is it impossible to get it to 0 camber if you have 17/45/215 wheels on the celica? He said it was pretty tucked up there... Should i maybe go to 16 inch wheels?

KoreanJoey
08-02-2007, 09:52 PM
well, sounds like your wheels are a bit big, a little smaller is probably a good idea but what sort of drop do you have? How much suspension travel do you have left?

zmile06
08-02-2007, 10:04 PM
no idea what you mean by suspension travel... I have a 1.7 inch drop i think? Drop zone springs... I plan on getting ebiach springs, and 16 inch wheels later. The guys doing the alignment kick ass, he was just worried i wouldn't like his alignment cuz he mostly does performance alignments and isnt positive how to fix the problem lol. I told him not to worry about it, i will probable end up liking the nice cornering anyways. There only 270 dollars tires.

He said aslong as i rotated them there shouldn't really be a problem because the front has less camber.

KoreanJoey
08-02-2007, 10:26 PM
like how much travel (stroke) do you have before you hit bumpstop? I'm running pretty aggressive camber in my car as well. I've got 2 degrees of camber in the front and 1.5 degrees in the rear. But I'm also running toe in on the front and toe out on the rear. That does end up eating tires pretty quick. So think about that before you do too much, if you run just camber you should be ok. As long as you have enough stroke, 1.7 inch drop is just too much for your suspension to operate properly and with the celicas McPherson design you've totally messed up your roll center. I'd go back up a bit on the drop and then you'd be fine, but if you do that you need to get another alignment again.

zmile06
08-02-2007, 10:38 PM
darn drop zone you suck! Will 1.5 ebiach springs be alright to get a perfect alignment? I think hes going to run 1.35, im not sure what else hes doing.

Ill post up the piece of paper he gives me later.

zmile06
08-02-2007, 10:47 PM
its only a 1.5 drop i just looked it up.

Slider
08-02-2007, 10:59 PM
You can fit those tires fine on a 5th gen but it's probably your wheel offset that's making it a tight fit.

zmile06
08-02-2007, 11:00 PM
You can fit those tires fine on a 5th gen but it's probably your wheel offset that's making it a tight fit.
ok what would be the PERECT offset for a 16 inch wheel for the celica...

zmile06
08-02-2007, 11:32 PM
The specs its going to 1.5 negative front camber 0 toe rear 2.2 negative camber 1.12 toe

Mr Celica
08-02-2007, 11:35 PM
no it can be the tire size he is running, also. he has 45 series tires on it, those are some big ass tires for 17" wheels on a celica. you should be running 40 series to keep the overal diameter the same. the sidewall on your tires is making it a tight fit, not the wheels. im pretty sure you could even run 18" rims on that car as long as you keep the tire width and sidewal proportionate to the diameter of the wheel. use a plus 2 setup next time you get tires, so look for a 215/40r17.

Mr Celica
08-02-2007, 11:36 PM
and the offset for the 5th gen celica regardless of tire size is +35mm

zmile06
08-02-2007, 11:47 PM
But what does everybody think of the specs i posted up? He said it was to give it a goo autocross alignment with street driving in mind...?

Slider
08-03-2007, 02:00 AM
and the offset for the 5th gen celica regardless of tire size is +35mm

It all depends what the rim width he goes with. You can't really say 35 offset is the right one without saying the rim width. For example if he went with a 7.5" wide rim or large it would rub with a +35mm offset

ok what would be the PERECT offset for a 16 inch wheel for the celica...

Assuming it's a 7" wide rim I'd go with about 42-35mm on a narrow body. Of course for a GTS or All-Trac someone would go with even a lower offset for a 7" rim width.

This is what a 7" rim width with +45 offset looks like on a narrow body Celica just to give you an idea

http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=7833&c=9

http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=7834&c=9

Of course with a 42-35mm offset they will stick out 3-10mm more, which should perfect for the front. If you want the rears to be flush you'll need a spacer.

If you want to play around with offsets, just put in your current rim width and offset here http://www.1010tires.com/WheelOffsetCalculator.asp and the potential new rim width and offset and it will tell you how much the wheel will retract or extend out compared to the current setup.

But what does everybody think of the specs i posted up? He said it was to give it a goo autocross alignment with street driving in mind...?

It sounds like a good compromise. You don't want too much negative camber for street driving since it will eat the insides of the tires. With proper tire rotation it shouldn't really be an issue at all. What kind of driving do you do?

zmile06
08-03-2007, 02:13 AM
It all depends what the rim width he goes with. You can't really say 35 offset is the right one without saying the rim width. For example if he went with a 7.5" wide rim or large it would rub with a +35mm offset

Assuming it's a 7" wide rim I'd go with about 42-35mm on a narrow body. Of course for a GTS or All-Trac someone would go with even a lower offset for a 7" rim width.

This is what a 7" rim width with +45 offset looks like on a narrow body Celica just to give you an idea

http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=7833&c=9

http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=7834&c=9

Of course with a 42-35mm offset they will stick out 3-10mm more, which should perfect for the front. If you want the rears to be flush you'll need a spacer.

If you want to play around with offsets, just put in your current rim width and offset here http://www.1010tires.com/WheelOffsetCalculator.asp and the potential new rim width and offset and it will tell you how much the wheel will retract or extend out compared to the current setup.

It sounds like a good compromise. You don't want too much negative camber for street driving since it will eat the insides of the tires. With proper tire rotation it shouldn't really be an issue at all. What kind of driving do you do?
Its just a daily driver, but i do tend to take corners pretty hard. The place i went to does alignments for performence cars, and since my car would rub if it was done to 0 camber they decided to give me some autocross in there. tach it up (http://www.tachitupmotorsports.com/) They kick butt there in dayton ohio.

So your saying if i was to get new wheels i should get a 35mm offset 7 inches wide? And 215/45/16 tires im assuming.

Then if i wanted the rear wheels flush i would need spacers?

KoreanJoey
08-03-2007, 09:58 AM
2.2 degrees of camber in the back is a lot, you shouldn't have more camber in the rear unless you've got some serious oversteer issues going on.

Slider
08-03-2007, 06:32 PM
Its just a daily driver, but i do tend to take corners pretty hard. The place i went to does alignments for performence cars, and since my car would rub if it was done to 0 camber they decided to give me some autocross in there. tach it up (http://www.tachitupmotorsports.com/) They kick butt there in dayton ohio.

So your saying if i was to get new wheels i should get a 35mm offset 7 inches wide? And 215/45/16 tires im assuming.

Then if i wanted the rear wheels flush i would need spacers?

I would look for about 40-42mm offset, should be perfect in the front. 35mm might rub a little. I have 45mm and it's good for me except for the rear. Which is how all Celicas are unless you run a spacer or go with different offset in front and a different one in the rear but then you wouldn't be able to rotate the tires with the different offsets.

Mr Celica
08-03-2007, 06:57 PM
i ran 17" wheels with a +35mm offset for both front and rear and they never rubbed, even with 45 series tires, it was close though.. i'm pretty sure thats the recomended offset for these cars?

Slider
08-03-2007, 07:18 PM
i ran 17" wheels with a +35mm offset for both front and rear and they never rubbed, even with 45 series tires, it was close though.. i'm pretty sure thats the recomended offset for these cars?

For a GT-S 35mm is a good size. The fenders on your car are wider compared to the GT and the ST so you're able to run a lower offset.