PDA

View Full Version : The results from a cheap eBay turbo...

ToyotaSupra
07-30-2007, 10:50 PM
Okay well I'm poor and decided to get a turbo kit off eBay for my MK3 supra. Here are the results:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMFbJukScYI

T-spoon
07-30-2007, 11:07 PM
Okay well I'm poor and decided to get a turbo kit off eBay for my MK3 supra. Here are the results:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMFbJukScYI

:slap:

That's just on principle. I'll watch it when I get home, youtube blocked here at work. :hehe:

burnyd
07-30-2007, 11:19 PM
youll be back in 3 weeks when it breaks. Given one less week per pound of boost you add....

Gary
07-30-2007, 11:30 PM
What result? I didn't see any result? dyno? CFM test? :squint:

vms4evr
07-30-2007, 11:38 PM
What result? I didn't see any result? dyno? CFM test? :squint:

Yeah exactly! What was the point of the video???

You need a before and after dyno result. Not a picture of your speedometer and tach. That says nothing...

Chris
07-30-2007, 11:52 PM
At the very least, get a better camera man.

turbo4ag
07-30-2007, 11:58 PM
Everybody is a hater on ebay turbos because of that picture of the VW turbo split in half that was taken in 1992. Lmao.

I dont know about anyone else, but my eBay turbo is holding up very well. 12 psi and once run at 16 psi, never smokes, hasn't chipped or fallen apart, and the shaft is str8 as ever. Maybe just luck in the past 1.5 years and 4000 (pretty much all race) miles.

Hope yours last as long or longer.

celicatrd93
07-31-2007, 12:16 AM
what kinda of ebay turbo's are shitty? also what turbo kit did you buy?

celicaGT90_05
07-31-2007, 12:33 AM
the title sounds like a dis, but the video apparently is to impress....I miss driving a 7M supra, they are fun as hell to romp (friend has one)

celicatrd93
07-31-2007, 12:50 AM
from the video looks like the car runs nice considering its a heavy car and a cheap ebay turbo kit. what is there to complain about?

Hookecho
07-31-2007, 12:58 AM
hmm..

burnyd
07-31-2007, 05:16 AM
Everybody is a hater on ebay turbos because of that picture of the VW turbo split in half that was taken in 1992. Lmao.

I dont know about anyone else, but my eBay turbo is holding up very well. 12 psi and once run at 16 psi, never smokes, hasn't chipped or fallen apart, and the shaft is str8 as ever. Maybe just luck in the past 1.5 years and 4000 (pretty much all race) miles.

Hope yours last as long or longer.

when you say ebay turbo that could really mean anything. Show us a a link...

for example my buddy bought the gt28rs knock off because it was 400 bux brand new shipped to his door step...

after driving around on the turbo for 1 week, 1 week at 12 psi it blew up.

Now if anyone has a copy of SS autocraps disclaimer its hallarious.

Cavanagh
07-31-2007, 05:30 AM
Ya i dont know how long it's going to hold up, but best of luck!

andy
07-31-2007, 06:03 AM
i love the sound of the straight six!

90CelicaST
07-31-2007, 07:39 AM
Sorry to break it to you, but eBay doesn't make anything.

celicatrd93
07-31-2007, 05:06 PM
i love the sound of the straight six!
+2 it does sound nice. but damn i did not know those turbo's were that bad, i don't think all of them are that bad.

PhillyDRFT
07-31-2007, 06:22 PM
Look into the way Chinese metals are processed. Then you'll change your tune about the quality of SSAutochrome, PowerXS etc etc....

Some people have had good LUCK with the kits. Some people got turbos with the compressor housing epoxied on. Some people talk shit to sound like they know what there talking about because they've read reviews on other car forums about there products.

Read up about what you're buying before you buy it. Including where it comes from. Retail price is a direct result of construction cost. If it's cheap it's cheap for a reason. Look into things... Is the extra money for a brand name or actual Research and development.

Those who want to vouch for an entire brand because they have had one good experience doesn't make up for the average results which sadly are compressor related. The intake and exhaust housings aren't too bad.. it's all cast. The internals however are a lottery as to how much strength is in them.

To the OP: Your supra is nice. You need to hit the junk yard and find those door moldings you're missing, give it a nice detail job, now that it's got the go, it needs a little bit of show. Looks like a classy lady friend you have there, take her around in some style.

2kSnakEater
07-31-2007, 10:21 PM
I wouldnt cheap out on something that If it blows, it could also take out the engine with it.

celicaGT90_05
07-31-2007, 10:25 PM
Sorry to break it to you, but eBay doesn't make anything.

lol true that, most turbo/turbo accessories on ebay are brand name

T-spoon
07-31-2007, 10:51 PM
I wouldnt cheap out on something that If it blows, it could also take out the engine with it.

WORD.

But good luck to you OP. If you don't have any problems, then that's great. :)

tw2
08-01-2007, 06:06 AM
The reason many of them are cheap is because they use an old design they did not come up with themselves. The quality is usually very good and in many cases is a good purchase for many people. I can't see how anyone can possibly use the expoxied compressor cover story as a reason not to consider some of the cheaper turbo's. How many actually personally know someone who has had this problem.... no one

d1alltrac
08-02-2007, 02:06 PM
OP: Learn how to rev-match, no comment on the turbo, and extra points for having an asian girl in the video. That is all.

turbo4ag
08-02-2007, 07:10 PM
when you say ebay turbo that could really mean anything. Show us a a link...

This one:
http://cgi.ebay.com/T3-T4-TURBO-60-trim-AR-48-internal-wastegate-V-BAND-new_W0QQitemZ120146176394QQihZ002QQcategoryZ33742Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Its a 60 trim .48/.60 T3/T4 turbo. This is one of the more common turbos, which Ive never heard of anyone having problems with. Almost every major seller sells them advan_racing, ssautochrome, xspower, etc.. etc..

I think the difference is its not an "xspower" or "ssautochrome" turbo, its just one that many people sell. Usually at a max price of $350. I got mine for $180 shipped. Never given me any problems.

The most common problem I find is most people have no clue about a flow chart, aspect ratios, oil delivery, or matching turbos to engines. For example, they will want to put a turbo with a .48/42 A/R on a b18 which has no business on an engine with a cam with that much lift, let alone that exhaust housing is already a little small for a 1.8L. Also overboosting is another issue. So dont get a smaller turbo because you didn't want lag, then expect to boost 16 psi which say according to the flow chart shouldn't be pushed past 14 psi. Also TOO MANY people over oil the turbo, you will need a restrictor for most turbos on the market, and dont make a mess of an oil drain.

I had the flow chart on my turbo, and as far as I can remember it shouldn't go past 16-17 without being right on the threshold. While they advertise it at 25-28. If you know what to look for and do some research there are many cheap alternatives that also last very long. I've used OEM turbos before that blew within weeks, but thats back when I didn't know what I was doing. So being informed is the key.

celicaGT90_05
08-02-2007, 08:37 PM
^^ ssautochrome is a good store, they have diamond clear headlights for my ranger and no one, I mean NO ONE else has them

T-spoon
08-02-2007, 08:44 PM
^^ ssautochrome is a good store, they have diamond clear headlights for my ranger and no one, I mean NO ONE else has them

Hurray?? :squint:

:hehe:

celicaGT90_05
08-02-2007, 10:03 PM
I'm just sayin its one of the best ebay stores I've ran across

celicatrd93
08-02-2007, 10:25 PM
he never responded back to his thread? i think they have good deals on turbo's on ebay and most are decent turbo's. i really don't know what kind of turbo they get and it blows up? that must be a damn cheap ass shit. if you are buying a turbo why not spend a little more and get something really nice and name brand. it should not be that much more.

PhillyDRFT
08-02-2007, 10:33 PM
I'm just sayin its one of the best ebay stores I've ran across

Yeah there great aside from the fact that they steel designs from good, hard working fabrication shops. Then have cheep knockoffs made with crappy Chinese metals and pair that with mediocre welding. They can make there parts for pennys on the dollar. It's cool though selling cheap inferior products and putting good engineers out of work is great business.

It's why good parts cost so much more because everyone trys to undercut them with a crappy knockoff. How many people do you think buy the real Megan Manual Boost Controllers or real Greddy RS blow off valves as opposed to how many of there knockoff counterparts? It's the same reason group buys get discounts, more sales means they don't have to upcharge one part so much to make up for a lack of sales.

It's cool though. I'm the last person who needs to be talking on this topic.

Edit: and in response... The epoxied turbo isn't an urban legend. It was a Nico Forum member who got it. If I can dig up the thread it was a little over a year ago. www.nicoclub.com. If you don't find it theres still neumerous threads about ebay downpipes and manifolds cracking and breaking. Theres even a How to somewhere that shows you how to reinforce and make corrections for the bad metal/weld mix.

celicaGT90_05
08-02-2007, 10:57 PM
Yeah there great aside from the fact that they steel designs from good, hard working fabrication shops. Then have cheep knockoffs made with crappy Chinese metals and pair that with mediocre welding. They can make there parts for pennys on the dollar. It's cool though selling cheap inferior products and putting good engineers out of work is great business.

was that really necessary? I just meant they offer things that I can't find anywhere else like the euro headlights that fit my ranger, thats not a knock off cuz no one else makes it. I prefer to find that stuff on ebay which they still sell that name brand crap than to run down to the store and pay $200 more

Mr Celica
08-02-2007, 11:45 PM
goin a little off topic...

but anyways, cool vid! now get some dyno slips and track times and that would show some results!

To the OP: Your supra is nice. You need to hit the junk yard and find those door moldings you're missing, give it a nice detail job, now that it's got the go, it needs a little bit of show. Looks like a classy lady friend you have there, take her around in some style.

x2 older supras are beautiful when they're done right

PhillyDRFT
08-03-2007, 01:46 AM
was that really necessary? I just meant they offer things that I can't find anywhere else like the euro headlights that fit my ranger, thats not a knock off cuz no one else makes it. I prefer to find that stuff on ebay which they still sell that name brand crap than to run down to the store and pay $200 more

Don't take it as a personal cut to you. It's good if they stock a part that no one else does.

I just felt it necessary to state a lot of that for there "performance" parts that was the prior discussion of the thread. I have no problem buying the aesthetic stuff on ebay. Most of it is ok quality but if not it's something you can fix yourself. More or less the fire under my ass is there Manifolds and turbo kits that are low quality replicas of VERY nice parts from good people.

So no personal cut to you, I didn't mean to undermine your preference in online shopping.

celicaGT90_05
08-03-2007, 02:18 AM
its cool, but as far as that goes some times it's good, cuz like I said somewhere, the only turbo manifold I found anyone make that fits my truck is on ebay. I'm a little iffy about copping out on parts such as BOV's or wastegates since if they malfunction somethin goes pop

Lagos
08-03-2007, 02:41 AM
from what ive seen, they do work, but will fail after a short time. making them a complete waste of money, in the long run.

but, DO keep us updated on your progress. i believe that it is totally possible to manufacture and sell a good turbo for 200bucks or so .

Rix86
08-05-2007, 01:18 AM
wuttacrappyvideo