PDA

View Full Version : 120k Suggestions

MarcusM2007
07-30-2007, 08:51 PM
I just got a new job that will have me putting 120 miles a day on my car for about 3 weeks. It's about to have its 18th b-day and will hit the 120k mile marker soon. So for maintenence what should I do?

Last thing done was spark plugs, distrubitor and fuel filter at 100k.
I dunno when the wires were done so I will do those, anyone suggest a brand? I have bosch Platinum +4 plugs, i know bad choice but it was before i knew anything about my car.

Also I have a short ram intake which i think is an ebay special just because i have one of those damn ebay ecu "+20 hp" things. So should I grab a K & N filter as well?

Thank you guys :)

Sean
07-30-2007, 08:55 PM
Always buy OEM ignition parts if possible :)

You can always change out your gear oil, flush your coolant system and refill it with OEM Toyota Red.

PhillyDRFT
07-30-2007, 09:05 PM
A coolant flush is a great idea. A properly flowing cooling system helps to give you added insurance against heat prematurely wearing any parts of your engine you can't really get to or see easily.

I would replace the spark plugs with NGK or Denso's Whatever the OEM recommended replacements would be. Go with a basic Copper or Platinum plug. Don't buy into the iridium ect. nothing works better than basic.

Fuel filter was a good idea. I would take off that +20 hp chip if you have it. All it does is send a cold signal from your air temp sensor. It can cause more harm than good. Aside from that, changing the gear oil like sean said is a good idea. Also replacing your O2 sensor won't stop things from breaking but it will help you get better MPG.

A basic inspection of the suspension will do well for you. Check all of your boots for leaks, make sure all of your bushings are accounted for.

The Captain
07-31-2007, 04:47 AM
Is the timing belt and water pump up to snuff?

MarcusM2007
07-31-2007, 04:15 PM
Is the timing belt and water pump up to snuff?

I would guess not. I bought the car at 99k and its at 118k now and haven't touched those two.

I'm kind of nervous about cutting out the chip, I'll snap a few pictures of it.

T-spoon
07-31-2007, 04:31 PM
I would guess not. I bought the car at 99k and its at 118k now and haven't touched those two.

I'm kind of nervous about cutting out the chip, I'll snap a few pictures of it.

Yeah, see if you can find service records and find out when/if the timing belt was changed. If you can't find anything saying that it was, it's a good idea to do it which will also be the perfect time to change out a bunch of oil seals that can start to drool at higher mileage.

MarcusM2007
07-31-2007, 09:01 PM
Got some pics

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k163/MarcusM2007/CIMG0337.jpg

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k163/MarcusM2007/CIMG0335.jpg

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k163/MarcusM2007/CIMG0334.jpg

Where should I cut?

andy
08-01-2007, 12:51 AM
the wires should be colored just connect the same color wires together. get rid of that piece o' crap box.

Chris
08-01-2007, 01:08 AM
Good thread, I'm in the exact same situation. I really need to throw some syncromesh into my gearbox. I topped off with some standard gear oil from Wal-Mart about 2 months ago and its already making noises when shifting.

MarcusM2007
08-01-2007, 02:08 AM
Good thread, I'm in the exact same situation. I really need to throw some syncromesh into my gearbox. I topped off with some standard gear oil from Wal-Mart about 2 months ago and its already making noises when shifting.

My transmission needs serious work, it has been leaking since this mechanic installed a new axel. I installed a new seal but no luck. Took it to a shop and it looked like it was leaking from every oriface. And I'm guilty of putting no name tranny fluid in it all the time :slap: Also you can always feel it shift, I think it's been like that since I got the car so I thought it was normal...

NOTE to anyone looking for a job: Always pick anything over Gamestop, even a janitor or BK Lounge.

andy
08-01-2007, 02:21 AM
If you overfill it it will come out the the top of the tranny and look like its leaking everywhere.

MarcusM2007
08-01-2007, 02:30 AM
If you overfill it it will come out the the top of the tranny and look like its leaking everywhere.

nah it barely registered on the dip stick.

Could it be leaking from the transmission pan?

Shadowlife25
08-01-2007, 03:38 AM
Did you check the tranny fluid with the car running?

Chris
08-01-2007, 04:07 AM
My transmission needs serious work, it has been leaking since this mechanic installed a new axel. I installed a new seal but no luck. Took it to a shop and it looked like it was leaking from every oriface. And I'm guilty of putting no name tranny fluid in it all the time :slap: Also you can always feel it shift, I think it's been like that since I got the car so I thought it was normal...

NOTE to anyone looking for a job: Always pick anything over Gamestop, even a janitor or BK Lounge.

Well, we installed a new CV shaft (need to install the passenger side before school starts). I think I need to just drain it it and top it off. And use better fluid. It'd be a good thing to do when we put in the new shaft.

On another completely different note, does anyone else have a noticeable difference in their engine when they change it on the 3000 mile mark? By difference I mean a better feel, better acceleration, so on and so forth. I figure there would be, but I figured I'd ask in case this is some odd sign that my engine has an abnormal amount of sludge in it (oil has always been changed at 3000) and I need to take some more effective measures other than just changing the oil.

MarcusM2007
08-01-2007, 06:44 AM
Did you check the tranny fluid with the car running?

Yups, run it through the gears and all that.

On the other note I have noticed my car feeling better after any oil change before.

MarcusM2007
08-01-2007, 09:04 PM
OK I set the entire day tommorow aside to do my timing belt. This would definatly rank as my biggest project ever so any suggestions would be great.

Besides the timing belt what else should be purchased? Any special tools needed as well?

More Questions: What is a SST, mentioned in the BGB? Should I get a torque bar, always felt it was needed for safety.

MarcusM2007
08-02-2007, 03:17 AM
UHOH!

When I took the axel out, ALL of my tranny fluid came out. Like it was a fountain or something. I've pulled the axel out 3 times before and it's never done this, it's only leaked a very small amount. Any idea what caused this?