PDA

View Full Version : TWS Short shifter

Kiasis
07-29-2007, 10:32 PM
I'm thinking of doing the TWS short shifter and weighted knob. Anyone put one in a 4th Gen and, if so, did you notice much improvement, fun, etc? Thanks.

Futant3
07-29-2007, 10:41 PM
I think you mean TWM and yes I have one in my vert. I don't have a weighted knob and can't talk myself into spending the extra money, just can't imagine it making that big of a difference.

However, the short shifter itself makes a huge difference. Much much shorter throw and stick height. It made the car feel a lot sportier when driving it, and more comfortable though that could just be me. I've got a few old pics from after the install if you are interested.

geebes
07-29-2007, 10:44 PM
I have one on my 5th gen (the short shifter) It is awesome, I love it.

The Captain
07-30-2007, 01:39 AM
Ditto, although I had to make spacers as the bottom of the shifter rubbed the drive shaft tunnel.

Kiasis
07-30-2007, 02:39 AM
Futant - yeah, TWM; and pictures are always appreciated. I heard (not on the TWM website, somewhere else) that the weighted handle made the throw feel quicker and even sportier. If not, then it's a nice $80 paper weight....
Geebes - speaking of awesome, nice ride, man!
gt4rcdude - I think the 4th gen kit comes w/ spacers, wonder why the 5th didn't?

Thanks guys, guess I'll give it a go. Oh, the TWM website online manual made it look simple. Anyone have issues or wish they had some tool ready that wasn't discussed in the installation book?

Futant3
07-30-2007, 03:17 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v333/Futant3/Celica/HU-Shifter.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v333/Futant3/Celica/Interior.jpg

I didn't have any real problem installing mine though it wasn't 100% plug and play. I had to make a little adjustment so that the ball didn't bottom out in 1st & 5th gear.

My understanding is that they designed the shifter off an early 4th gen and a minor change was made to the later 4th gens. I've heard that you can mention that to them and they will throw in some additional piece that fixes it. Might be worth looking in to.

Kiasis
08-02-2007, 09:15 PM
I sent TWM an email w/ the question of additional pieces.

What kinda adjustment did you have to make for 1st and 5th to behave?

Oh, and did you make the shorter shift boot or get that somewhere?

Kiasis
08-02-2007, 09:23 PM
Just got this reply from TWM:
"Hi,
Your order has not shipped yet, UPS will be here any minute so we just
added the extra hardware you may need. It is basically just an extra
CNC'd aluminum spacer that we include to lift the top portion of the shift
assembly if needed.
Thanks,
Kevin
TWM"

Thanks very much for the heads up, guys.

Futant3
08-03-2007, 02:45 AM
There is a metal bracket piece below the shifter that I just had to pound a little bend into, but it looks like you got the spacers taken care of so it should work no problems. Actually that's a stock boot, it just gets pushed down a little.