PDA

View Full Version : I have an addiction.

Murgatroy
07-28-2007, 08:05 AM
Hi, my name is Murg, and I am addicted to cars.

I am having a real hard time right now.

I have a friend at work who is trying to help me source a car for the wife. There is a long story behind all of this and it is really stressful. I won't get into it right now. The short of it is, I have 3 cars, none of which are currently reliably operable.

I found a `90 Pontiac 6000LE last week for $600. 150k on the ticker. Retired gentleman. Car was spotless. All records, etc... Wife has a fit, and says she doesn't want a new car, wants her Buick fixed. So my buddy buys it.

A few days later I finally convince her that it is more financially sound to purchase a beater to sell later, than to drop $500 into doing a proper head job on her car. Time is not something I have until the winter.

Anyways, this is not the point, but it leads to my problem.

My buddy who is helping me search for a car (who is also the buddy who bought the Buick) has found me something.

He has found me something I like.

It is `74 Camaro. 307, 3 speed manual. I have a major weakness for Camaros. I have owned a SHITLOAD of 2nd Gen F-Bodies.

The story of the car is one of those really nice ones. Guy bought it new, all the options. Kept it all his life. He passed away last year. His son wants to get rid of the car. It reminds him of his dad, and he says it hurts. He wants less than $1000 for the car.

I am going to look at it t'marra.

I don't have the money for it, but my buddy is willing to go in for half on it and let me pay him back.

I am having a serious conflict here. This is one of those awesome deals we all dream about, but I know how it is going to go over with the wife.

Well and that whole thing of having 3 other cars I need to be working on.

God this sucks.

'90 CeLicA Aus
07-28-2007, 08:13 AM
Lol the wife will probably give you a face full of beatdown, but you gotta convince her. Once in a lifetime deal...hopefully you can work out the money and you pick up the ride :)

MCcelica
07-28-2007, 08:15 AM
The only thing that I can contribute is my solid belief that I can contribute nothing useful to this thread. Sorry I'm no help.

PhillyDRFT
07-28-2007, 08:18 AM
DDDOOOOOOO EEEEEEETTTTTTTTTTTTT!!

J/K I know what it's like to find a great deal. But if it's really not financially do'able or it will get you in too much hot water with the lady friend. The price paid for the car may be greater than passing up such a great deal.

In the end it's your decision. How long you think it would take you to pay your buddy back the other half? and do you really have the money to spare rite now?

Murgatroy
07-28-2007, 08:27 AM
Nope. I don't really have the money to spare right now. I am trying to find her a car, and save for a front clip.

But on the other hand, this could be one of those things that haunts me forever if I don't do it...

Murgatroy
07-28-2007, 12:12 PM
(mw)

We need a car, I'm letting him find the car we need so that we're able to reliably get around.

However, big old sorry hon, but it's a MANUAL. I can not drive it and it's really not the most ideal time, not that we have any spare time, to teach me how and I really at this point have absoultey no desire to try and learn. Especially when I know what the outcome of any lesson like that will be, the both of us pissed as all get out and yelling our heads off at each other.

Since the whole point in this is getting something we can both drive, no go.

By the by....thanks for slinking off to bed and letting me read this on the board instead of telling me any details of the what the f was going on ^_^ fuktard :P

91 celica st
07-28-2007, 12:59 PM
hahaha owned

Shadowlife25
07-28-2007, 01:04 PM
I taught my sister to drive in my first Celi, not too bad at all :D

Hookecho
07-28-2007, 01:37 PM
But on the other hand, this could be one of those things that haunts me forever if I don't do it...

i think we both know that nothing is more haunting than a disgruntled wifes memory! so forget about buying the camaro because even though it would feel so right at that moment, you would have to drive it home to a wife who still has no car.

turbo4ag
07-28-2007, 02:28 PM
Better just listen now, because if not, whenever another crucial decision comes up, your wife will always bring up "the car".

I know if it was the other way around, I wouldn't want my girlfriend to buy me the equivalent to a miata or cabriolet and say she loved the car and couldn't pass it up. I'd be hella pissed off having to drive a chick's car I dont want.... knowing it would take alot of time to pay it off, and still find another car for me.

Murgatroy
07-28-2007, 07:56 PM
(mw)

Really, if it wasn't the 'I can't drive it' and that's a bit much cost wise issue (because we'd still need to find a car I could drive) I really wouldn't care. Well, I take that back, parking at the complex sucks, so I wouldn't care if he parked it at his mom's or if we had land.

Afterall, I'm uber cool, cause he had been sitting here whining for like months about wanting a new car and I tracked down mudhoney for him on craigslist.

Denver_whiteST185
07-28-2007, 08:06 PM
why don't you just learn how to drive a manual. sure, it takes a day or two and hopefully you don't mind roasting the clutch a little, but after you learn how to get into 1st from a stop, the rest is easy.

T-spoon
07-28-2007, 08:44 PM
why don't you just learn how to drive a manual. sure, it takes a day or two and hopefully you don't mind roasting the clutch a little, but after you learn how to get into 1st from a stop, the rest is easy.

Seriously, it does seem daunting, but it's not that bad. My wife picked it up pretty quick (had to start using a 95 GT to drive to school). She did NOT want to learn manual, but she's hardcore manual tranny now.

Murgatroy
07-28-2007, 08:53 PM
(mw)

I already said why.

"However, big old sorry hon, but it's a MANUAL. I can not drive it and it's really not the most ideal time, not that we have any spare time, to teach me how and I really at this point have absoultey no desire to try and learn. Especially when I know what the outcome of any lesson like that will be, the both of us pissed as all get out and yelling our heads off at each other."

Denver_whiteST185
07-28-2007, 09:15 PM
um, you don't have one free night during the week or weekend? a few hours with some patience will make you at least able to kinda drive it, and then just learn from just driving it. ive taught a few people just before i replace my clutch and tranny on my car, and it's never taken more than 3 hours till they get the hang of getting it into 1st from a stop

and if you don't want to use the new car, call around to a few friends to see if they have a pos beater that they don't mind you learning on...

Murgatroy
07-28-2007, 10:12 PM
Free time is not something we have. She wouldn't trust anyone but me to teach her. And I don't have free time. I work 80 hours a week.

Secondly we, we decided (being me and her) that learning to drive a manual is not a priority for her. She has enough hassle paying attention to everything going on around her anyways with the city traffic to throw trying to shift gears in the mountains into the mix.

I don't quite think a near mint 2nd Generation Camaro with a V8 is the ideal car for her to learn to row the gears in.

If I do get the car, it is gonna be parked out of the way with my `67 New Yorker until I have time and money to devote to it.

Right now it is one of those things where I am really kinda wishing it hadn't been mentioned to me, it won't get out of my head.

2kSnakEater
07-29-2007, 12:10 AM
sounds like in your stage in life you dont need or can afford to keep any "poject"cars. You need something reliable that can take you to work every day AND your wife needs something reliable with 4 doors so she can pick up your kid and go to shopping for food herself everyday.

here is my advise:

sell both Celicas
they are not working, you dont need a non-working cars GET RID OF THEM.

Buick
asses the damage. It needs a headgasket and didnt you say that every body panel on it was damaged at one point or another? If this is true then GET RID OF IT. Get as much money as you can out of it.

67 New Yorker
what is this? did you just get this car? does it run? can you drive it to work and back?

If the car needs work in order for you to drive it then GET RID OF IT. get as much money as you can out of it.

Now, take the money you do have and do the below:

90 Pontiac 6000LE- you said its mint? old man owned it? is it 4 doors? well! wtf are you waiting for!? your wife needs this car asap!

74 Camaro - does it run? can you drive this car back and forth to work?

if NO is the answer to any of those 2 questions then DONT BUY IT. You DONT need a "project" car, you dont have the time for one.

if you answered NO on the Camaro questions keep reading.

So you the 74 Camaro requires money to be driven hu? well, dont worry about it. When you get older you will have more time to look for your dream car. Right now you need something reliable that will get you to work 100% of the time.

1. you like Celicas, find a good condition ST. STs are a dime a dozen and CHEAP. Right now your need cheap and reliable, STs are *just* that.

2. If you cannot find a good quality Celica then search for another beater that is RELIABLE <--key word and cheap. Deals are out there, all you need to do is search for them.

This is my advice, You can choose to use what you want out of them since In the end its your life. Not mine.

Let me know If I can help you in any way.

Murgatroy
07-29-2007, 12:31 AM
Congratulations on your reading comprehension Chris.

The Pontiac has already been sold.

I have had the `67 New Yorker for 20ish years.

As far as a reliable car, I have Chaos. She takes me back and forth to work everyday, and takes the wife out shopping.

Mudhoney has rod knock, she is currently waiting patiently for her 3SGTE.

The Buick needs a headgasket. I am trying to convince the wife that the car is not worth saving. That is should be sold. She is not having it, that Buick was her first car, she wants it fixed. However now I am finding out that this isn't the first time the head gasket has blown on it. That doesn't please me. Not with the arguments we have been having regarding that car.

The issue with Chaos is her brakes. She needs an entire brake job, the whole kit and kaboodle. However I have 3 seized lug nuts. This presents a problem. I have tried chiseling them off and this only led to ruining the lug and making it near impossible to remove. She still stops fine and so forth, but it has been 2 years since I put pads on her, it is only a matter of time until she needs everything replaced. My latest plan involves drilling the studs out and replacing it all.

But there is my issue. I have no spare time. Working 80 hours a weeks really takes a toll on a person. All I want to do on my days off is sleep.

I am currently looking for a Camry or Corolla for the wife. I am not in a hurry. I want a good car. Not a good right now car.

The real problem comes in when you get the rest of the information. I haven't shared this information with the entire site, but I have told a few folks.

Selling my cars is not an option. That just leads me to another problem of wanting them back. I am not in the habit of buying things, then selling them when I decide that I don't want to deal with them anymore.

KoreanJoey
07-29-2007, 01:32 AM
Don't we have some members near by that can give you a hand? I'm sorry I'm so far away man or I'd totally lend you a hand.

2kSnakEater
07-29-2007, 07:07 PM
was that sarcastic? :squint:

Murgatroy
07-29-2007, 11:40 PM
was that sarcastic? :squint:
Not at all. ;)

2kSnakEater
07-30-2007, 03:33 AM
Not allowed outside of OT you bizzle!

~Luni

(for those who didnt get it, he posted a link to a stupid window that takes over your desktop, and plays some stupid song.)

T-spoon
07-30-2007, 03:46 AM
This is not funny at all. At the very least put a work warning on that link. I also don't appreciate having re-arrange my windows after dealing with that.

**I edited out the quote, since it had the link to the original post I edited out so people didnt click on it**

~Luni

Luni
07-30-2007, 05:18 AM
Its too bad youre not closer Murg. I have a 91 Accord that is in pretty damn good shape, Im selling for 2200.

For you, id sell it for 2000 easy.

But its all the way here, and youre there, and Im doubting you have 2k layin around for the fucker.

Awesome daily drivers.

Oh yeah, its a 5 speed though :(

I think Jessie needs to man up and learn how to drive a stick though. Ive taught ditzy idiotic females how to drive stick. Ive taught several on my MR2, and once on my first 7th gen celica. They all now drive manuals and HATE autos. (Jessie what that means, is if I can teach them, it should be pretty easy for you to pick up)

Jessie, did you hear me? You need to learn how to drive a damn stick.

And Murg, for the camaro for 1k, meh.

Go find yourself a little 1st gen MR2 to toss around the dragon. Much funner car for 1k IMO.

Murgatroy
07-30-2007, 09:19 AM
(mw)

It's something I would like to learn and will eventually, just probably the best for putting it on hold until whenever we move out more into the country. The traffic here sucks, and I once was yelling at some dude cause he was acting like a moron...until I got home and couldn't understand why the heck I couldn't see anything in the parking lot and realized some of him acting a dumbass had been to try and tell me I didn't have my lights on...yeah. (In my defense that was like the second time driving chaos, where you have to manually do the lighties, and Dolly has those auto lights that just do themselves, but I still screwed up). So, I would rather be able to pay more attention to what's going on all over the road than have to think of what shift I need in, lol.

ETA: For anyone that doesn't know, now really isn't the most oppurtune time really. I've been pretty much running around down here going "oh crap oh crap" and being all femaley cause my mom is in the hospital (actually she's been moved to a really bad nursing home right now) and I am stressing about trying to get up there somehow, but nothing's coming together so it's all icky.

donteatbugs
07-30-2007, 09:19 PM
a 3 spd manual would be so simple to drive.

TheNefariousOne
07-30-2007, 09:28 PM
Why would the amount of gears matter...?

2kSnakEater
07-30-2007, 09:45 PM
less gears to worry about? :shrug:

but less gears also = less gas milage.

3 spd manual had no overdrive if I can remeber correctly.

Chris
07-30-2007, 10:00 PM
I'll be honest murg, I'm looking on cars.com (they do the Wichita auto classifieds) and I'm seeing a shitload of older cars, ranging from hondas to toyotas to domestics for under 1k that are all auto. Though I'll admit, most of them are domestic, the ones that are under 1k. I'm looking for something to replace the Z. Take a look, you might be able to find something that'll last a couple months until things look up, or even better that will last along while and will be cheap as hell to repair.

Murgatroy
07-31-2007, 01:47 AM
I'll be honest murg, I'm looking on cars.com (they do the Wichita auto classifieds) and I'm seeing a shitload of older cars, ranging from hondas to toyotas to domestics for under 1k that are all auto. Though I'll admit, most of them are domestic, the ones that are under 1k. I'm looking for something to replace the Z. Take a look, you might be able to find something that'll last a couple months until things look up, or even better that will last along while and will be cheap as hell to repair.

(mw)

That site is annoying! lol, it's not bringing up any prices, just a - under the heading. Lame.

Anyone familiar with vehix? I was looking through there last night and found like 2000+ models for like $100 to $200, no pictures of them though, and kinda like "wth is wrong with them?!" to be that little costly, lol.

Murgatroy
07-31-2007, 01:50 AM
(mw)

LMAO. I just checked craigslist again and there's a 93 corolla wagon, which seems to be the pretty he wants badly, listed there. 1900 though, so haha, but still.

http://knoxville.craigslist.org/car/385532345.html

ETA: This car is a 'woody (http://knoxville.craigslist.org/car/385437565.html) '. I giggled.

CUTE!! (http://knoxville.craigslist.org/car/381122534.html)

Chris
07-31-2007, 02:41 AM
(mw)

That site is annoying! lol, it's not bringing up any prices, just a - under the heading. Lame.

You can find some neat stuff, you just have to watch out, they bombard with you ads for 2000 and up vehicles. But I'm finding more than I did on craigslist.

Murgatroy
07-31-2007, 11:49 AM
I picked up a `91 Explorer last night for a very small sum. It needs a little work, but it is something that the family will fit in comfortably. Guy has had it sitting at work for a month now trying to sell it for a ridiculous amount. I lowballed the hell out of him and drove it home for next to nothing.

It is a 2-door Sport 5-Speed. I am gonna sink a couple hundred into it to make it right then flip it for a decent profit. Right now it has become a serious hassle to fit the three of us into Chaos, so this it a little closer up our alley. The Corolla she posted is almost exactly what I am looking for, although I want fewer miles.

I am gonna keep my eyes open for that 'perfect' deal. They come along, and I am slick enough to get them.

Oh, and as for the Camaro, some kid bought it. And not the good way. It wasn't worth jack shit. Fella let a kid take it for a test drive, he came walking back. Let the ass get away from him. It needs a new nose. He got his grand though, and still has the car.

2kSnakEater
07-31-2007, 02:22 PM
fck that ferd junk, get an S10 Blazer/Jimmy. The parts on those trucks are DIRT CHEAP.

ask me how I know.