PDA

View Full Version : Cutting the driveaxle

evneveik
07-25-2007, 10:44 PM
Im now almost finished with fitting a E56 (fwd e153) tranny into my st182 but the drivers side driveaxle is about 2-3mm to long so it catch into the pin inside the tranny (the one between the driveaxles).
Is it possible for me to grind or cut the end of the axle or does that affect the balance in any way?

burnyd
07-25-2007, 10:55 PM
thats very strange a E56? What did that transmission come out of?

As far as the axle goes Im guessing that this is the longer axle only? the part where the inner meets the axle are there like I cant explain it but where the 5 hex bolts are... can y ou take one of those peices out and then get shorter screws?

Whats funny is the majority of use who do Solara E153 fwd swaps into our swapped celicas actually have to increase the size of the axle due to it not going into the hub all the way.

evneveik
07-26-2007, 05:07 AM
thats very strange a E56? What did that transmission come out of?

As far as the axle goes Im guessing that this is the longer axle only? the part where the inner meets the axle are there like I cant explain it but where the 5 hex bolts are... can y ou take one of those peices out and then get shorter screws?

Whats funny is the majority of use who do Solara E153 fwd swaps into our swapped celicas actually have to increase the size of the axle due to it not going into the hub all the way.

The E56 came out of the st202 with superstrut suspension, I think it's just a few cars who came with this specs, the tranny is very similar to e153 from mr2-turbo but fwd, it has even lsd :)

I am using the lsd inner axles from mr2-turbo and the outers from st185, and everything seems to fit except the axle on drivers side. The axle is just 2-3mm to long so it goes all the way inside the tranny until it hits the "pin" inside the tranny

the "pin":
http://www.ts-ogn.no/phpBB2/download.php?id=22686

evneveik
07-27-2007, 06:59 PM
anyone?

turbo4ag
07-29-2007, 01:35 AM
Never even heard of an st202 nor E56. What car model name did you get this from?
Caldina? Trueno? Levin? Celica?

And what engine did it come off of?
3SGTE? 4AGZE? 3SGE?

Maybe this will help us (or atleast me) understand what your working with. It sounds liek a 6th gen Celica possibly with 3SGE... am I right?

evneveik
07-29-2007, 02:47 AM
ST202 is the 6th gen model with 3sge, most of them came with the s54 tranny but some came with superstrut suspension and e56 tranny (perfect for converting to 3sgte in fwd cars). But this isn't so relevant because I was just wondering if I can raw cut the end of the driveaxle without having it machined or balanced...

KoreanJoey
07-29-2007, 02:57 AM
Balancing is probably a good idea, it's not all that hard or expensive, a good machine shop should be able to take care of you.

evneveik
07-29-2007, 02:59 AM
Why? I can't understund why it's recomended because the cut will be in the center of the force so it will not have any effect on the balance, if I was cutting in the wheel end of the axle I would understand it

KoreanJoey
07-29-2007, 03:36 AM
well if it's cut and rewelded I'd want to make damn sure that it's straight, and I mean 100% or close as can be to 100% straight, if not then the balance, doesn't matter where the cut is made, will be off. If you cut and get it as close to straight as you can and then have it balanced you can be free of any fears. But that's just my suggestion. Remember, in the end it's just advice and it's yours to follow or not. It's your car after all.

pitcelica
07-29-2007, 01:59 PM
I think that what "evneveik is saying, he wants to know if he can grind the extreme end of the axle that enter in the trannt, the splined end. He doesn't want to cut it in the center and reweld it.

In my opinion, if you want to cut or grind 2-3mm at the splined end of your axle, be sure that it's done perfectly, if its not, you will have problems to get the spline on the axle to fit the spline in the differential.

You can do this, but be sure to know what you do.

evneveik
07-30-2007, 05:00 AM
I think that what "evneveik is saying, he wants to know if he can grind the extreme end of the axle that enter in the trannt, the splined end. He doesn't want to cut it in the center and reweld it.

In my opinion, if you want to cut or grind 2-3mm at the splined end of your axle, be sure that it's done perfectly, if its not, you will have problems to get the spline on the axle to fit the spline in the differential.

You can do this, but be sure to know what you do.

Finally someone who understand my bad english :)
I think I can manage it, just need to be careful with the splines and make an "entry edge" with the grinder

pitcelica
07-30-2007, 05:30 PM
That's it, be careful and good luck!

evneveik
07-30-2007, 07:54 PM
Thank you :)

Sean
07-30-2007, 08:05 PM
I think you should buy the right axles, that is the axle that is designed to fit the tranny :)

evneveik
07-31-2007, 01:21 AM
I think you should buy the right axles, that is the axle that is designed to fit the tranny :)

Yeah, funny....not

91 celica st
07-31-2007, 04:35 AM
are you trying to use the 6th gen axle?

if so its longer then the 5th gen axle. the wheel base is 2 inches wider. use a 5th gen axle

FourVeeSix
07-31-2007, 08:26 AM
^^^^
What he said.

If you have no choice but to use this longer axle shaft and you do cut it, i'd suggest a chop saw so that it cuts it squarely.
Youll be able to form a lead in on the end by using a flap disc on a 4 inch angle grinder and then carefully rolling the axle on a flat surface while dressing the end of the shaft.
All the lead ins ive seen have been approx 45 degrees so i'd aim for that. :)

Sean
07-31-2007, 08:32 AM
Yeah, funny....not

Perhaps your not getting what I'm saying.

Is it possible to use the combination of axles? Your 5th gen outters, with the inner axles that are designed to be with your new gearbox?

What about alltrac outers? Camry outers? I'm sure the right combination is out there.

evneveik
07-31-2007, 09:22 AM
Perhaps your not getting what I'm saying.

Is it possible to use the combination of axles? Your 5th gen outters, with the inner axles that are designed to be with your new gearbox?

What about alltrac outers? Camry outers? I'm sure the right combination is out there.

The best combo is the alltrac outers and mr2-turbo inners because of the lsd I think

91 celica st
07-31-2007, 10:20 AM
The best combo is the alltrac outers and mr2-turbo inners because of the lsd I think
what are u currently using?

evneveik
07-31-2007, 11:37 AM
what are u currently using?

I was using the original tranny with the original axles, but now with the e56 tranny it is the same as if I had used a 3sgte and e153 tranny so then I need to use the alltrac/mr2 combo

91 celica st
07-31-2007, 11:42 AM

again

what AXLES are you CURRENTLY trying to use... the one that is too long. a 6th gen alxe 5th gen or what?

evneveik
08-01-2007, 07:13 AM

again

what AXLES are you CURRENTLY trying to use... the one that is too long. a 6th gen alxe 5th gen or what?

Well, if you have read the second post you would see that im using alltrac outers and mr2-turbo inners....