PDA

View Full Version : Which Intercooler?

Blue91CelicaGT
07-25-2007, 04:43 PM
Well I plan on revamping my turbo by the end of August. I have been researching but all I've gotten is opinions. I want someone to show me hard facts as to which Intercooler is better.

1. Topmount Air:Air
2. Topmount Air:Water
3. Front Mount Air:Air

I have heard that front mount is the is the best at cooling, but it also increasing turbo lag. Also the intercooler piping will have to run over the exaust manifold(which is hot, duh) making it inefficient.

Have heard to much good/bad about the Air:Water.

Please, please no more opinions I want hard facts. I have to starting planning/buggeting for this kit. Thanks.

P.S I do want opinion backed up by facts:cool:

geebes
07-25-2007, 05:05 PM
Didn't someone just do this exact thread like a month ago? The answer was FMIC, hands down.

burnyd
07-25-2007, 05:22 PM
w2a is great for throttle response but its not a very large intercooler... great for the stock ct26 or maybe something mildly upgraded.... Hard to get everything and to get everything rolling youll usually have a good 500 in it to work maybe more...

Fmic is generally the way to go.

Blue91CelicaGT
07-25-2007, 05:50 PM
But do the good outweigh the bad I read FMIC increase turbo lag between gears. I also read that it "sometimes it induces compressor surge", anyone can tell me what that means? :ugh: .

balagast
07-25-2007, 05:59 PM
Compressor Surge (to the best of my knowledge) is caused by the pressurized air left in the piping between the turbo and the throttle plate, when the throttle is closed. This air, with nowhere else to go, rushing back out of the turbo compressor usually making a fluttering blow offish type of noise. This affect is magnified with having a FMIC b/c there is more piping between the turbo and the TB.

As for the lag, I have not really heard of a Front Mount causing lag, but a slight drop in throttle response due to the extra piping that must be filled. This is much debated topic, and usually the general consensus is that the amount of drop is fairly minimal, but slightly noticeable.

A front mount will usually be the most efficient setup, but also requires changing the front bumper to the RC/CS (unless you want to remove the bumper support) or use a very small core.

A TMIC A/A intercooler will always suffer from some degree of heat soaking, but will usually be the cheaper/easier option.

Personally, I like the idea of going with a WTA, just for the sake for maintaining the stock look/having the best throttle response possible for autocross.

There's my $.02 ...

2kSnakEater
07-25-2007, 06:39 PM
I Think im going with WTA on my setup

geebes
07-25-2007, 07:11 PM
I have a FMIC...no lag, better response. Me likey...Its a personal preference call.

balagast
07-25-2007, 07:44 PM
no lag, better response.

You definitely will have better response than the stock top mounts, but if you had an upgraded WTA or ATA TMIC there will be slightly better than a FMIC ... Thats all that I was trying to say.

tw2
07-25-2007, 08:39 PM
Compressor surge is caused by a mismatched turbo among other things, it is not going to be a result of a FMIC. W2A is fine up until 300whp or so where is simply cannot flow enough even though it still may have cooling capacity. The "lag" on any IC is mimimal, calculate the volume of air in the extra piping and slightly larger IC core and see what the difference is yourself.

Blue91CelicaGT
07-25-2007, 08:47 PM
Why arent there any W2A FMIC? Physically impossible? Inefficient?
Just wondering. THanks for the replys.

Blue91CelicaGT
07-25-2007, 08:51 PM
Compressor Surge (to the best of my knowledge) is caused by the pressurized air left in the piping between the turbo and the throttle plate, when the throttle is closed. This air, with nowhere else to go, rushing back out of the turbo compressor usually making a fluttering blow offish type of noise. This affect is magnified with having a FMIC b/c there is more piping between the turbo and the TB.

Doesn't a BOV solve this issue?

balagast
07-25-2007, 08:53 PM
Why arent there any W2A FMIC? Physically impossible? Inefficient?
Just wondering. THanks for the replys.

There would be no benefit really to having it in the front, being as there would be more piping etc. The "radiator" for the WTA is in the front of the car, but putting the chargecooler core there wouldn't really have any effect.