PDA

View Full Version : So I went to...

'90 CeLicA Aus
07-25-2007, 12:01 PM
The no-media (Also, no phones and cameras) unveiling of the 2008 AU Spec WRX tonight. Was a good night, never been to a exclusive lil' unveiling before. They talked about the car, unveiled 2 of 'em (Red and Black) and got them out onto the skidpad to thrash around. After the skidpad we were allowed to walk up to sit/look at the cars to our hearts content.

My opinion: They have toned down the WRX a hell of a lot. It still has the same performance of previous models, but just doesn't grab your attention like the others. The upright bonnet scoop, red calipers, wide(ish) guards, distinct wheels and, mainly, that distinct WRX sound is gone :(:( I could live with the other stuff, but it just doesn't sound like a rex any more (Well a bit, but a really weak one :(). Also, note that the chrome-ish grille is now gone (Or for the AU Spec at least). I like it MUCH more without the chrome, that's a step in the right direction. I'll stick with the MY05 for now though.

I managed to take a pic, the guy in front of me was sure to tell me to 'put that shit away' before I got kicked out. I dunno why, there are pics all over the place. Ah well, that's my excitement for the week.

http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/9595/image239id5.jpg

ronin
07-25-2007, 12:30 PM
was it a sedan or hatch?? i saw some earlypics and it was a hatch and looked ugly as feck. i love my MY99, IMHO i still think it was one of if not the best WRX's released.

congrats on getting in to the release.. shows like that are worth a trip out for sure.

'90 CeLicA Aus
07-25-2007, 02:53 PM
Yeah it was the hatch. In september they will be releasing the hatch, the sedan will be coming mid '08 some time. It didn't look TOO bad (It feels quite big actually, even though it is much shorter), but it is definitely not my fave WRX. I like the 99/00 and the 04/05 models. I wanted to see the blue also, they deprived me of teh c00l colourzzz.

celicatrd93
07-25-2007, 05:07 PM
don't look that bad, its kinda wierd how they changed it to a hatch from coupe, i would rock it, good job on managing to take a pic.

geebes
07-25-2007, 05:08 PM
I am not a fan of the new ones either...my fav is either 02-03 or 04-05. And for some reason I like the 06-07, but only if its a wagon.

I'm sure if someone gave me an 08 I would drive it and be happy, but I'm not about to be put on a waiting list or anything.

ronin
07-27-2007, 09:52 AM
shame is a hatch.. real shame. it might not look too bad, but its like turning a commodore into a truck.. its just not right. the WRX has always been the 4 door sedan with a major attitude problem.. in all honesty, if they were only in hatch i probably wouldnt buy one. not that im gunna get an 08, im trying to get rid of mine ATM.

'90 CeLicA Aus
07-28-2007, 04:12 AM
Oooh don't sell your rexy, unless you buy an evo then it's ok :hehe:

geebes
07-28-2007, 06:04 AM
Keep the WRX! I command you!

ronin
07-29-2007, 10:18 AM
im about to get off bike restrictions and want to get a bike. cant afford both so im sacrificing the rex. im thinking of getting an old school celi and fixing it up over time, as ill have the bike as a main form of transport..

The Captain
07-29-2007, 03:10 PM
Who beat the WRX with the ugly stick? Now it looks like a lowered mini-van. I think I'll be keeping my Celi a little longer.