PDA

View Full Version : hydrolock

celica91gts
07-22-2007, 10:07 PM
its monsoon season over here. and its been raining hard for a couple of days. i was drving home last night and i could not spot any puddles because the water on the road was all high. anyways, my firned drove through a puddle and sucked up water. had no by-pass valve and he thinks he got water in it. usally dont engines turn off if they suck up water? anyways he says it running a lot differently. can anyone tell me what to do?

Shadowlife25
07-22-2007, 10:18 PM
If it's still running, it's definitely not hydro-locked.

VT_RainMan
07-22-2007, 10:49 PM
Yeah, you'll know hydrolock when it happens. It wont turn over at all. It usually goes, ku-tunk, ku-tunk. (excuse the sound effects) And if you keep trying to start it... oops, you bent a rod. Take it from experience. ie. Blown head gasket in a 4-runner I had.... the engine was toast.

He'ld have to suck up a lot of water to cause that. Usually, you have to submerge the entire intake.

I'ld make sure the air filter, sensor, and pipe is completely dry. If it's hard to turn over... and starts blowing out white smoke from the exhaust... call a mechanic quick... I mean immediately.

Sean
07-22-2007, 11:42 PM
Who else to get the goods then from RainMan himself :)

Definitely not Hydrolocked.

celica91gts
07-23-2007, 12:18 AM
so what do u think happened to his car? because its not hydrolocked. he started it up and drove it around. but he says it definatly drives different. we're thinking about cheaking the spark plugs but is there anything else that could have happened? its an 05 rsx-s. he takes care of it and takes it to the dealership for maintenence so i dont think it could just be dying on him.

KoreanJoey
07-23-2007, 01:31 AM
check if there's water in the distributor.

Luckynumber5
07-23-2007, 02:09 AM
Be sure to check the intake air temp sensor too!

hobbie2k
07-23-2007, 04:32 AM
check if there's water in the distributor.

I didn't think an '05 RSX would have a distributor. Does he mention in what way it is running different? The water might have damaged some sensors...

Amaymi
07-23-2007, 05:52 AM
I know on my old prelude that if my filter got wet it would suck in a little dropplet of water every once in a while and miss. it could be that he needs to swap filters if its a paper filter or completely dry out the filter if its a cotton or synth filter.

VT_RainMan
07-23-2007, 05:57 PM
Water can cause problems in 100's of places.. especially where electronics are concerned.

Like I said before, "Filter, Sensor, Pipe" (actually I was assuming he has a CAI... but any part of the air intake assembly) all the way to the throttlebody(TB) and inspect with eyes and fingers... any moisture? Check the inside of the TB too. Do not mess with anything in your TB... just look for surface moisture.

If that's all dry... then check the ignition system. Any moisture will cause some pretty crappy running issues. Take the plug wires off... and peek down the cylinder to the plugs. If there is any water ontop of the plugs, soak it up with a sponge, rag... and spray the hell out of it with wd40 and let it sit until dry. Do not remove plugs until you remove water. Check the distributor if it has one (doubtful). Check the coil for cracks or water around it. Make sure the wires are in good shape.

If all else fails... call mechanic! If he takes it to the dealership mechanics regularly... then it shouldn't be a problem. They can peform a computer diagnoses and find out the issue quickly.