PDA

View Full Version : Inspection time.... :(

KotahGTS
07-19-2007, 11:29 PM
{Philly**

So, Today is inspection day for Kotah's GT-S. Well it didn't turn up too well. She failed emissions for Nox levels. The tech told me that we can throw $150 at the car to get the state off our back and get a waver to pass emissions. Aside from that they came down with a list of lights etc. that are out. (they weren't before we brought the car in, since all of them were removed prior to painting. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt though.) The big kicker is that theres a spot of frame rot about the size of a silver dollar. on the passenger side frame-rail. I'm going to find a shop in the area who will do good work cheap. I don't have access to a frame rack or welder. Otherwise I would handle that part of the repair myself.

The reason for this post is that Kotah has been put in the position to decide whether or not it's financially worth it to keep her GT-S. If any of you know her personally. You know how much she LOVES that car. She's close to tears at just the thought of selling or parting it out. If any of you guys happen to have some of these parts laying around or a total that you're parting out. We would be happy to take them off your hands at a reasonable price. I've already gone through the parts that I have left over from my coupe part out but we will still be short a few.

We'll still need.
1. Rear engine mount (If we can't find one I'll fill one of my spares for her.)
2. Right and Left Rear Sway Bar links

Thanks for taking the time to read. Leave a comment to cheer her up too wile you're at it!

zmile06
07-19-2007, 11:56 PM
Who inspected the GT-S im confused on whats going on here:)

WE dont have emissions where i live in Ohio. When we did i knew people who would buy 150 dollars worth of stuff at autozone, keep the receipt and then return it afterwards.

The stuff you are talking about shouldnt be that expensive to fix.

I think its definitely financially worth it. You wont find another car for in the same ball park price figure that is more reliable, or fun!

Sway bar links are an autozone special too;) I'm not sure on the rear engine mount, you could hit up a junkyard for sure.

Good luck!

PhillyDRFT
07-20-2007, 01:25 AM
It's really not that bad but the list is LONG! I have most of the parts left over from my GT coupe that I sent to the junk yard a month or so ago. It's just labor intensive. Both axles need inner and outer boots. The sway bars need new bushings, the rear needs new end links.

The hole in the frame is the biggest thing. It's close to the front swaybar mount but I can shake the car from the sway bar and it won't move so I'm not worried about it structurally there. She's just upset because before this was....

New rear tires.
Front tire blowing in target from there parking lot and going through a 3 week fight with them to fix it.
Two new front tires. (that pep-boys screwed up. Yeah we know not to go there but when she really needed the rear tires they were the only ones around who didn't have to special order them. She just wanted the fronts to match)
Then the paint fiasco was a headache and a half. I have to detail it for her again later.
A new battery before we left (80$)
and a new windshield that cost about 300$ wile we were down in Florida.

I know it's light out of everything that can go wrong but it's a big chunk of finances especially for someone trying to get to a financially safe point and put some money away. When they handed her a bill for $1,300 and then saying "We don't know how much it is to fix the frame rail" It was a bit upsetting to say the least since she didn't pay much more for the car. She knows a lot about cars, more than she thinks she does.

I have most of it figured out. Gina cursed us when we were in Alabama saying everyones car breaks when they come into contact! She's at the money pit of the life cycle of a 17 year old car. It's just a little more upsetting since it's the first car she's ever not been embarrassed to drive.

Borinal
07-20-2007, 01:37 AM
Wow, so they are making you fix the frame for it to pass? What about a rust stopper and some jb weld and paint, they'd never know the difference. =) Then you can fix it when the situation is good for you. ^_^

That shit really sucks, my car is FINALLY getting into a good state again, but I'm still going to have to pay somone off to pass my car because I no longer have a cat and there are a bunch of stupid little 'saftey/inspection' issues. Have you looked into finding a place you can just slip some extra $$$ to overlook the problems?

T-spoon
07-20-2007, 01:50 AM
Wow, so they are making you fix the frame for it to pass? What about a rust stopper and some jb weld and paint, they'd never know the difference. =) Then you can fix it when the situation is good for you. ^_^

That shit really sucks, my car is FINALLY getting into a good state again, but I'm still going to have to pay somone off to pass my car because I no longer have a cat and there are a bunch of stupid little 'saftey/inspection' issues. Have you looked into finding a place you can just slip some extra $$$ to overlook the problems?

Supra passed.. with no money under the table. I guess it was so low they didn't notice the lack of anything but pipe for the exhaust. No need to mention that to anyone..

Nox.. I fought with nox on my 94 5s. First time it happened, I just gutted the cat and had an aftermarket welded in. Cost about $120 and passed the sniffer.

alltracman78
07-20-2007, 01:57 AM
I might have a rear GTS mount, though I don't remember if the autos and manuals have the same ones.
I've still got some parts from my GTSs.

Though, crap, I sold some stuff, and front/rear mounts were one of them.
I'll have to see if I have get another.

Endlinks are going to be HARD to come by used.
The nut usually seizes up.

I can get you OEM cheap.
But only because my car takes the same ones.

celicatrd93
07-20-2007, 02:14 AM
that sucks, come down to st,louis will get it passed for 40 bucks, which you guys know under the table deal. good luck with everything.

Shadowlife25
07-20-2007, 02:33 AM
I used to be a State Inspector when I lived in NY. Fix the rust hole, make sure the lights work, and check your EGR as it's most likely the cause of your high NOX readings. Make sure that there are no MIL lights on(CE)

Boots and that other stuff shouldn't matter for inspection purposes.

Borinal
07-20-2007, 02:43 AM
I used to be a State Inspector when I lived in NY. Fix the rust hole, make sure the lights work, and check your EGR as it's most likely the cause of your high NOX readings. Make sure that there are no MIL lights on(CE)

Boots and that other stuff shouldn't matter for inspection purposes.
Not unless they are an inspection/repair shop. The finky fuckers gave her a quote, I understand that might be nice and helpful for some people. But they just think they are cute, I took my car to one of those places before, the fuckers want the labour and wont pass you unless you meet thier riddiculous demands. I understand some safetey concerns, but a lot of those places are in the market of making money. Was this just an Inspection & Emissions joint? I used to goto the in-and-out places only, now I goto the dealership where they'll overlook my Gen3 Motor and etc.

Shadowlife25
07-20-2007, 02:55 AM
Like I said man, for inspection purposes, the stuff I mentioned should be all it needs to pass. It sounds like they're just trying to make a buck off her. Which sucks. Is there any way to go somewhere else?

Hell I was doing state inspections at the PepBoys in Albany, and we just made sure that if there were any issues OUTSIDE of that necessary to pass inspection, we would tell the customer and give them a detailed list so they could do the repairs on their own.

Fuelish
07-20-2007, 02:57 AM
I can relate - was born and raised in good OLD Bristol PA ....emissions and mech inspection :( Hey, y'all could just move on down here to Tennessee - no mech nor emissions testing (at least in Blount County) ... which is kind of alarming, at times, seeing some of the cars on the road held together with duct tape and a prayer :rolleyes: ;)

PhillyDRFT
07-20-2007, 03:42 AM
I dunno, I looked over a page I found about PA inspection and emissions.

The Rust spot he says is too close to the sway bar mounting points, I thought of jb welding a patch of metal in and undercoating over it. She wants to legally pass and feel like her car is safe. I don't blame her. I offered to take her to a friend where she can buy her stickers.

The EGR not working I think is related to a disabled cat. It has a crap cat back system that i'm going to trade her my stock exhaust for and then fix whatever is wrong with it before I put it on my GT. The loud tone gives her headaches anyway lol

Edit: the end links aren't too badly priced. I've been shopping around. I might just end up with new ones for her. They were around 80$ each for OEM ones. But I'm finding them for around 30-50.

I might have a mount that will fit too. I have to wait till daylight to check.

vip09
07-20-2007, 03:58 AM
Are the GTS endlinks the same as the GT? Might be able to grab some from the junkyard and send them to you.

Borinal
07-20-2007, 04:08 AM
Yeah, I can understand that. But I have no EGR, my horn is broken until I have an aftermaket steeringwheel (safer than it working because I DO use it. ;) ) Mwuahaha! hehe

other than that my car is very safe, and the exhasut passed FLYING COLORS with stock cat, straight dp now, honestly I could care less if I'm polluting. Kinda funny, I'm all into backpacking and being conservative/green etc..... but when it comes to my car, I could care less, especially considering how many people are making up for me now days anyways. =) haha

burnyd
07-20-2007, 04:15 AM
lets be honest here... PA inspection mechanics are money grubbin assholes.

too bad you dont live near here :(

PhillyDRFT
07-20-2007, 04:20 AM
Inspection in PA has become a little overly stringent. I never heard of bushings being part of the deal. I got my 240 inspected not too long ago also and they were a bit anal. I'm starting to wonder if there was a change in policy somewhere or if all the shops are just looking to pull in more work.

Colossus20v
07-20-2007, 04:31 AM
Philly. I spend $150 every year and then show them the receipts and I get a waiver. Then I return the parts. I know its lame, but I know Ill never pass unless I advance the timing and lean the car out or something.

Have you tried any of that stuff that you mix with the fuel?

burnyd
07-20-2007, 04:33 AM
Philly. I spend $150 every year and then show them the receipts and I get a waiver. Then I return the parts. I know its lame, but I know Ill never pass unless I advance the timing and lean the car out or something.

Have you tried any of that stuff that you mix with the fuel?

your not going to the right people if you have to do that for emissions... your car should be old enough by now and Im assuming by the mileage you should be exepmt

Chris
07-20-2007, 03:05 PM
There's a busted up black GTS in the local junkyard, well, it was there last time I checked. hmm.

I can try and grab something you need if you can show me pictures as my car vocab and skills aren't really up to par quite yet. :(

balagast
07-20-2007, 03:12 PM
I;m dreading taking the All Trac in to get inspected. PA has started to become a major PITA to get cars inspected. What you need is to have a place that you can register your car that is out in the middle of nowhere (north of allentown, and west of harrisburg) where there is no emissions testing. I have no clue how the PO of my car got legit inspection, being as its a jdm engine (no EGR). I keep shopping around for a shop that I know will just take a hundred bucks or so and slap some stickers on it.

KotahGTS
07-20-2007, 06:14 PM
The place I took my car to worked with my dads company for about 20yrs. They have always inspected my car and have been lenient on all my inspections, except this one. I'm just frustrated because nothing can ever go right. I just spent a ton of money on vacation because i didn't think my car would fail inspections. I kind of figured it would fail emissions because of the fart can the prior owner put on. Not to mention I thought the stickers on the car before were fake. I just thought I'd have a little more time to get everything done, but when we were in florida we had the windshield replaced. They never returned my stickers so I had to get it inspected ASAP when I got back.

What I am worried about is time. I work nearly everyday this upcoming month, and I have about a half hour drive to get there. I only have 1 car, so if my car is getting work done, I'll be screwed unless I get a ride. So pretty much I have to figure out a timed plan to get this all fixed, or I throw a couple hundred out for a beater car to drive around while I get this one fixed.

In all of this, I have come to the conclusion...

I am not allowed to go on vacation EVER again.

donteatbugs
07-20-2007, 11:33 PM
wth are insections? we dont do that shit here in alabama...it doesnt even have to run to be on the road.

PhillyDRFT
07-20-2007, 11:50 PM
wth are insections? we dont do that shit here in alabama...it doesnt even have to run to be on the road.

Once a year the state has you bring your car into a state licensed facility to get inspected.

They check to make sure all of your tires, brakes, wipers, lights and emissions control systems are in tact and working. They evaluate the overall condition of your body and frame. They also test the hydrocarbon levels of your exhaust. yada yada yada

Kiasis
07-21-2007, 12:15 AM
Damn, so the crap they started out here in CA is spreading eastward like a plague, huh? When I lived in Maine, never heard of an emmissions test. As long as the rust was being properly held together w/ duct tape, you were good to go - bondo got you an extra year free.

Thinking of moving back east to N.C. - wonder if they're in on the emmissions craze....

vms4evr
07-21-2007, 01:14 AM
In NC they do emissions in the larger cities. The sniffer is being removed from use. If you own an OBD-I or earlier car you are exempt from emissions test. But you better not have Service Engine lit. You get the basic safety check. Lights, wipers, tires not bald. They do look underneath to make sure the exhaust is not leaking. If you have an ODB-II car then they hook it up to their computer. If you have codes showing up that effect emissions or safety then you fail. You can't get it reinspected until the codes are cleared and there are no codes for a week. They check your history codes too.

It really isn't bad. They aren't like the PA inspections. That just sounds like a scam run by the state and the garages. I can let my wife or daughter take the car for an inspection and not have them treated badly or like they are stupid.

I'm glad they have mandatory basic safety inspection. I've been in some of the states that don't do them. Some of the crap on the roads there is a safety hazard. If you're an idiot and want to get yourself killed driving a car held together with duct tape you go for it. I don't want you getting me killed though because you can't get that
POS to stop or turn...

Borinal
07-21-2007, 01:23 AM
I'm glad they have mandatory basic safety inspection. I've been in some of the states that don't do them. Some of the crap on the roads there is a safety hazard. If you're an idiot and want to get yourself killed driving a car held together with duct tape you go for it. I don't want you getting me killed though because you can't get that
POS to stop or turn...

Chicken wire for the steering and sand paper for the brakes. Couple that with duct tape and you're SAFE. I don't know why car manufacturers go so far out of thier way to achieve the same results. It's all money.

PhillyDRFT
07-21-2007, 01:32 AM
Chicken wire for the steering and sand paper for the brakes. Couple that with duct tape and you're SAFE. I don't know why car manufacturers go so far out of thier way to achieve the same results. It's all money.

In New Jersey a lot of 4X4 guys lift there cars by stacking 2x4's under there leaf springs.

Borinal
07-21-2007, 02:00 AM
In New Jersey a lot of 4X4 guys lift there cars by stacking 2x4's under there leaf springs.
and to think they could have paid upwards of $2,500-$5,000+ for the same thing. =P lol

Luni
07-21-2007, 02:06 AM
Kotah, just pay your tags, go to your DMV and get a temporary permit so you are still legal. Most states issue a 10-20 day permit for such a thing.

That gives you time to get it taken care of.

Philly post pictures of the endlinks when you get them, I wanna see how similiar to SW20 endlinks they are.

For the hole, shouldnt be too hard, yuo can use an oxy/acetelane or a mig welder to fill the hole then a grinder and some plastiky paint so it doesnt rust.

Your problems arent that bad. For your NOX, just find someone else with a celica in your area and borrow their stock exhaust that has cats or a cat.

I dunno, just tossin out ideas/thoughts.

PhillyDRFT
07-21-2007, 04:26 AM
I don't have access to anywhere with a welder is the problem. I'm going to use a Panel bond and a metal plate to make a replacement for it. For those who don't know 3M makes a structural adhesive that is the same thing Porsche uses on the 911's and Chevrolet uses on the Z06 Corvettes. With the addition of a few self tapping screws. I'll grind the heads down. Use a bit of filler. Use an anti-corosive on the inside and out. Possibly foam core the rail. respray undercoat and call it a day.

I'll take you some pics of the links.

And I'm just going to give her the exhaust from my celica and for the 150$ have them put it on/ troubleshoot the NOX. Ither way it will get her the waver.

balagast
07-24-2007, 09:42 PM
Ither way it will get her the waver.

What waiver??? out of curiosity

celicaracing71
07-26-2007, 03:41 AM
man that inspection sounds crazy im up here in Iowa so we never do that. I just had it done when i origanlly got the Celica just to make sure everythign was alright ya know just the basic stuff. And yea i have seen the 4X4s w/ 2X4s on the leaf springs looks kool but doesnt ride very well, just my 2c tho.

KotahGTS
08-09-2007, 09:56 PM
ok, i know this has been dead for a while on here, but it hasn't ended. philly got a ticket today for driving my car with no inspection stickers. to top it off, we have 10 days to show him that it's been repaired, that it's legal, and that my tint is off.

i LOVE my tint. so thats how the day started.

i went and got a couple of estimates... even doing a good amount of the work ourselves, it will still come $1,100 in repairs.

at this point i'm pretty screwed. after i got back from vacation i had no money to get things fixed, then i got sick and was out of work for a week, now i am working every day and have to get everything done in 10 days because of the ticket. and i have to show him proof of everything, so i'm concerned about buying stickers. that and i'm a goody two shoes, so i'd rather it be done legally.

all in all, it seems to be grinding down to getting a new car. i'm really hoping to be able to keep my celica, but i guess it all depends. there are no decently priced celis around here, so i'm left with few other options. i wish i could get a 7th gen but i doubt they would ever approve me.

so what would you guys recommend i get? i like the feel of my celica, so i'm hoping for something similar. any help is appreciated.

85gtsblackman
08-10-2007, 12:20 PM
MOVE TO FLORIDA

no testing at all

.....just think a 300,000 mile 85 gt-s trying to pass...... :ugh:

balagast
08-10-2007, 01:14 PM
yo can buy 93 gt in a few monthes after I finish the rebuild :)

KotahGTS
08-10-2007, 05:55 PM
haha, the reason i am thinking of buying another car is because i don't have the time to repair this one for inspection. i guess we will see what i end up doing at the end of the 10 days.