PDA

View Full Version : thinking of buying this celica.

celicatrd93
07-19-2007, 05:58 PM
what do you guys think about this celica, i talked to the guy and is taking offers, instead of doing a swap, just buy a swaped celica. still debating on getting this. what do you think. it is about 3 hours away from me.

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/car/371345003.html

burnyd
07-19-2007, 06:03 PM
sure go for it lol? Im just wondering how it runs/

celicatrd93
07-19-2007, 06:08 PM
whats so funny? he also said it runs great. cause i am not planning to sell my car so i need another car for now.

burnyd
07-19-2007, 06:16 PM
whats so funny? he also said it runs great. cause i am not planning to sell my car so i need another car for now.

well not to try to upset you or anything but Im sure it had other problems.. its a swapped celica they break.. It has too much rust to make it a ncie car... but for the price wise I would buy it for a go fast project for 2k.

celicatrd93
07-19-2007, 06:24 PM
thats what i was thinking anyway, getting it for 1800, fixing the rust and slapping a cheap paint job and making it a sleeper. also its a st so a little lighter then the other models, just wondering about the swap though, he said it has no problems, just have to wait and see.

lburner
07-19-2007, 07:02 PM
god dam rust

MCcelica
07-19-2007, 07:13 PM
Def look beyond that body rust before you do it man. Run over the entire underbody with a fine tooth comb for more rust in the chassis as well as in the door sills. I know KC can get pretty humid so if there's rust on the outside there is most likely rust underneath at very least. If you find rust underneath anywhere tell him to go blow a fat one.

celicatrd93
07-19-2007, 07:23 PM
thank you very much nothingspecialyet, under body rust is aweful, well i e-mailed him about the underbody body rust, waiting for a reply, i really am not worried about the interior or small exterior work cause there is tons of celica's at the local junkyards, also i am pretty good on working on the body, i just want the motor to run great, cause i doubt i can find parts easily for the 3sgte, hopefully the car is decent cause i am looking foward to buying it, i do not want to drive out to knasas(3 hour drive) for nothing. he said its been his project car for 4-5 years and its been sitting in the back for awhile. will have to wait and see.

alltracman78
07-19-2007, 07:28 PM
well not to try to upset you or anything but Im sure it had other problems.. its a swapped celica they break.. It has too much rust to make it a ncie car... but for the price wise I would buy it for a go fast project for 2k.

Swaps break because they're not done right.
The engine bolts into the chassis [though in the ST chassis a slight mod is needed for the pass engine mount] and so does the trans.
The wiring is also very similar.

If a swap is done right it has no more chance of breaking than an Alltrac or MR2 with similar mods.

With that said, the hood isn't worth 1g.
You can buy every single piece brand new from Toyota AND get it painted for less than that.

My main concern would be the rust. Judging from how bad it is now there is probably alot more on the underside.
If you get it don't plan on keeping the chassis forever.

The other thing is the trans.
It's a C52, so not meant for the 3SGTE.
While it will work, it's weaker and you have to use a hybrid clutch [which is apparently not that hard to find right now].

So if you do get it also plan to upgrade the trans eventually.
And you will also need axles, the ones on the car won't work.

Plus whatever else the engine might or might not need.
Has maintenance been done on it?
Timing belt?
Tune up?
How doe the brakes look?
Suspension bushings?
Mileage?

It's hard to judge not knowing alot of that, but I guess I wouldn't pay more than 2K.
IMO it's worth closer to 1500, mainly because the chassis looks to be in rough shape. If it's in better shape and the above mentioned maintenance is done the value would obviously go up.

celicatrd93
07-19-2007, 07:35 PM
ok this is the e-mail he just sent me.

The body is an ST I had to remove the top mount mount out of the Alltrac and weld it into the ST the other mounts matched up fine. Also I changed all the front electrical the interior and front rotors and wheels and used rear spindles out of a 4th generation GTS to change it from 4 to 5 lug. It does runs good but could use a tune up. I really want $2000.00 for it although its a little rough I have more than that in it but if you can pick it up in St.Joseph Ill let it go for $1800.00 because your the first person who sounds like you really know what youre talking about with this car. Thanks Shawn

so i am waiting for a reply for under body rust, also i really do not want car that is going to cost me more money and time, cause i can do a swap on my other celica. i already bought a 4afe w/97,xxx for my 93 cause it has a bad crank, i do not want to buy this and swap a tranny and clutch etc....
also thanks alltracman for the good advice.

celicatrd93
07-19-2007, 07:40 PM
this is the e-mail i just sent him, waiting for reply, cause i really want another car,

ok last few questions and will set up a time to check it out,
1. how bad is the rust? any underbody rust?
2. what kinda of tune up does the motor need?
3.what kinda of tranny did you use and clutch? a celica gt/gts(5sfe) tranny?
4.how many miles on the motor?
4.any other motor problems, cause i am not worried about the interior or exterior just the motor?

Cavanagh
07-19-2007, 08:58 PM
Heh, 1000 or more for an alltrac hood? I wish people offered me that. Loller skates. I would buy it just to put in your good-looking, rust-free celica.

celicatrd93
07-19-2007, 09:11 PM
Heh, 1000 or more for an alltrac hood? I wish people offered me that. Loller skates. I would buy it just to put in your good-looking, rust-free celica.
lol was thinking about that, maybe just taking the complete swap and parting out the rest, really would not make much money, just the hood and other small parts, and then dump the body for cheap.also i do need a motor. but really just want to have two cars, but that underbody rust is freaking me out, he still has not let me know whats up. still waiting.

T-spoon
07-19-2007, 09:13 PM
I had a 91 MR2 that came from up north somewhere. It had fresh paint on the outside concealing rust, and the engine bay looked a lot like that one. It gave me nothing but problems. EGR crumbled into rust, clutch slave cylinder lines rusted to pieces, coolant pipes rusted. It was enough trouble that I would run away from a car that looked like that. There are SO MANY celica chassis in much better shape that I wouldn't touch that one, but that's just my opinion.

TEAMFaint
07-19-2007, 09:17 PM
Wouldn't be surprized if there is a crap load of underbody rust on that car.

Also ask what parts were changed while doing the swap?
Whether the engine recieved a reseal, timing belt, fluids, hoses, whatever.

Swaps are something that shouldn't be cheaped out on, and a lot of people end up attempting to the the bare minimum and end up selling before its complete because of running into problems.

celicatrd93
07-19-2007, 09:22 PM
thanks everyone for your responses, and i am having second thoughts for it ,now that i am thinking about it, there is rust on both sides, and interior needs work, then some suspension work, the thing is going to cost me more then i need to spend, also i needed to find a car locally or close by, i found a 88 alltrac with 130,xxx on the body needs a motor, he is also giving a motor with it for 2000, not bad i guess, or the other blue mr2 i started in another thread, just needs a motor and tranny for 1000, i really need a car now, while i still have the money in hand. also the thing is i am buying cars that needs work and my celica needs work, just getting my self into a big mess, but worth it in the end.

burnyd
07-19-2007, 09:44 PM
Swaps break because they're not done right.
The engine bolts into the chassis [though in the ST chassis a slight mod is needed for the pass engine mount] and so does the trans.
The wiring is also very similar.

If a swap is done right it has no more chance of breaking than an Alltrac or MR2 with similar mods.

With that said, the hood isn't worth 1g.
You can buy every single piece brand new from Toyota AND get it painted for less than that.

My main concern would be the rust. Judging from how bad it is now there is probably alot more on the underside.
If you get it don't plan on keeping the chassis forever.

The other thing is the trans.
It's a C52, so not meant for the 3SGTE.
While it will work, it's weaker and you have to use a hybrid clutch [which is apparently not that hard to find right now].

So if you do get it also plan to upgrade the trans eventually.
And you will also need axles, the ones on the car won't work.

Plus whatever else the engine might or might not need.
Has maintenance been done on it?
Timing belt?
Tune up?
How doe the brakes look?
Suspension bushings?
Mileage?

It's hard to judge not knowing alot of that, but I guess I wouldn't pay more than 2K.
IMO it's worth closer to 1500, mainly because the chassis looks to be in rough shape. If it's in better shape and the above mentioned maintenance is done the value would obviously go up.
swaps in general break because of the trans. If you have a S5x on a 3sgte its not a great Idea. Other than that we all know the motor is awesome.. just transmission that always blows up. Its geared way too low and cannot handle the torque.

angryyoungnpoor
07-19-2007, 09:45 PM
If you did want to swap the engine over to your current car, I may be able to help out some.
What I don't understand is how cars get that rusted. If they're getting that rusted, it's because someone isn't paying attention, or doesn't care about it. Which in otherwords means.. what else are they not caring about.

extremeskillz
07-19-2007, 09:47 PM
Got a sandblaster? No!

Your going to need one.

burnyd
07-19-2007, 09:51 PM
well actually, if everything works well.. drivetrain wise... I would just swap it all out because all the wiring and everything is done already.. it would be a easy swap for you... unless the motor runs like shit... then I would swap your current 4afe into that and drive it around town the way it is as a DD considering theres nothign wrong with the rest of it...

celicatrd93
07-19-2007, 09:57 PM
well actually, if everything works well.. drivetrain wise... I would just swap it all out because all the wiring and everything is done already.. it would be a easy swap for you... unless the motor runs like shit... then I would swap your current 4afe into that and drive it around town the way it is as a DD considering theres nothign wrong with the rest of it...
i was thinking the same thing, just swaping motors, would be really easy just would take some time. its that i have still school starts back up, just waiting for a reply from the guy on the motor condtion.

JDM TURTLE
07-21-2007, 09:39 AM
i was thinking the same thing, just swaping motors, would be really easy just would take some time. its that i have still school starts back up, just waiting for a reply from the guy on the motor condtion.

if you are plannin on keepin the car as it is id say no. but if your just takin the engine and shit outta it maybe its aiight. I hate rust. Its like cancer.

Murgatroy
07-21-2007, 09:44 AM
Think of it this way, if the swap runs reliably, it is cheaper than a front clip.

geebes
07-21-2007, 06:17 PM
Just buy mine instead!! :)

burnyd
07-21-2007, 06:22 PM
Think of it this way, if the swap runs reliably, it is cheaper than a front clip.

right, but thats a usdm motor :(

85gtsblackman
07-21-2007, 07:39 PM
just buy a 92-96 camry or an 84-95 truck or an 84-85 celica as a beater and be done

Cavanagh
07-22-2007, 01:13 AM
Exactly!

geebes
07-22-2007, 01:46 AM
Seriously...

Chris
07-22-2007, 03:20 AM
This is way out in left field, but from what I understand about your situation, if you have one car thats down, it's usually a bad idea to buy another one that has a large possibility of having problems, even if you do know how to troubleshoot them. Feel free to slap me upside the head if I misunderstood you.

celicatrd93
07-22-2007, 08:47 AM
for geebes if i had the money would not think twice, i talked to the guy that thing had way too many miles, he said he has been driving it for 5 years, here is the email he sent me.

sorry for the wait I had to go to work. As for your questions
1. the rust is mainly in the rocker panels bad enough that I have to jack it up in other places. The under body seems ok no holes anyway
2. It just needs a cap rotor and plug wires I recently replaced the plugs.
3.Tranny came out of a 90 Celica GTS I bought the clutch for a GTS because the Altrac clutch is made for a bigger shaft. so its not as heavy as the original Alltrac one.
4. The motor has 139000 miles
5. Ive been driving it like it is for the past 5 years and never had a problem other than having to give it a tune up about 3 years ago.

so i was thinking not to buy another car thats going to brake down and become a money pit, it seems like it need work down and alot to it, was really looking foward to get it but guess not, forget it , i will be swaping my 4afe soon and just drive that for now till something else pops up

vip09
07-22-2007, 09:28 PM
I wouldn't touch that car.

geebes
07-23-2007, 06:29 AM
I make you very good deals (add european accent)! :hehe: