PDA

View Full Version : Buying a car in Canada and driving it down to the states?

GT4SOM
07-17-2007, 12:42 AM
Does anyone have any real information on this?? Is it possible?? Theres a couple of Canadian websites that a selling dirt cheap GT-4's and mr2's. Authentic JDM RHD cars for so damn cheap!! I want to know any facts on driving it into the states. Once its here, I can just do the good old Switcheroo! :D

andy
07-17-2007, 03:44 AM
You may need to be a resident of canada to pull that off.

liplip
07-17-2007, 04:21 AM
I read somewhere its easier to register RHD cars in Canada than in the US.

CHRiS'_CeLiCa
07-17-2007, 04:50 AM
care to list the websites?

GT4SOM
07-17-2007, 05:35 AM
http://www.jdmmontreal.ca/index.php

I was looking on here. That really motivated me to go with a jdm gt-4. Always wanted one. All jdm ones are low miles and don't have butt rape on the price tag. 7k for a 70k mile mint jdm authentic gt4 is not a bad deal at all! I called the guy and he said its like 15 years for them to import the cars into canada.

St182GT-R
07-17-2007, 05:50 AM
i live in B.C. canada and we have tons of JDM car importers here its where i got my GT-R from. You would have to import it here have it leagalized and registered , it then is given a north american vin number and i don't see why you then couldn't drive it across the boarder to where ever you want. Although you would have to insure it and i don't know if an noncanadian resident could insure it with out living here. I think it could be very possible to do just make sure that the car is what it seems b/c some JDM importers bring in the cars and there not in very good condition and don't fix them before selling and then you can get a car with alot of problem.

Melchior
07-17-2007, 05:50 AM
We have something here referred to as the "15 year rolling rule"

Basically and car can be imported after 15 years have passed since the production date. However it still needs to pass safety inspections and in some areas smog, so don't assume all cars are legal. Skylines, for example, are being harsly scrutinized right now and may be soon made not-legal for import due to some issue with the headlights.

You can't get one here and bring it down to the US anymore than you can just import one directly. You'd be looking at exactly the same headache. It is technically not legal anywhere unless it's offroad/show use only.

Also for everyone who thinks we've got it good; that rule is up to be changed soon to 25 years. Why? Because it's starting to turn into a decent sized market full of amazing cars (Not just sporty, also huge 4x4 and kei cars market as well) and of course that means less money for the greedy local dealership owners.

I mean, what would you rather buy for 14000... a Yaris, or an R32 Skyline GT-R with 70,000km on it.

burnyd
07-17-2007, 06:15 AM
okay dude lol, I ran into this and wanted to do this desperately.. your first reaction is hte following

"Holy fuck look at those low mileage jdm perfect toyota perfection cars that are in North America Omgs!"

Now heres the problem with regeristering them in America... They have NO VIN #'s!

IN BC you can regrister a car with just a chasis code... for example... a st185 in Japan has a body code of ST185-09879 Thats what they would use to track their vehicles... these cars.

Realisticly speaking the only way your going to be able to get this car to your house is on the back of a towtruck... its going to have to be bought by someone first from the JDM Imported.. then sold to you... but whats going to have to happen is your going to tow it down here to your state from canada. Hoping to god that they let you over the border... once you get it here to america.. depending on where you live state wise you would have to regrister the car as whats called a Classic car / hot rod and you can only put 2,000 street driven miles on the car.... thats atleast how PA works. Now at this point 1 year later in PA after you might, yes it might work... you will have a streetable JDM RHD toyota car.

GT4SOM
07-18-2007, 01:00 AM
Yeah R32 > Yaris for 14k. Maybe not in gas milage but in everything else :hehe: I live if florida. Maybe if I was in new york or somewhere closer to canada this would be pretty practical.

extremeskillz
07-18-2007, 01:12 AM
The gt4 are all sold.

GT4SOM
07-19-2007, 12:05 AM
Nah I wouldn't have settle for those, if I get the real jdm deal, I'm going either Group A all the way or Carlos Sainz edition!! Screw it, I'll settle for a nice narrow body four!!!1