PDA

View Full Version : 1.5 to 1.6 swap

daddye
07-16-2007, 07:28 PM
Hey guys, I know these forums are the best place to get answers, so here goes my question: My co-worker (single Mom trying to help her kid out) bought one of those 1.5 engines off of eBay for her sons 1992 ST 1.6. The first thing I noticed is the injectors are set up different and won't be a direct swap. The place she bought it from is telling her to do a head swap and just put the 1.6 head on the 1.5 short block. Before I tear anything apart, does anyone know if the 1.6 head and 1.5 block will match? Any major/minor headaches? Any info is appreciated. I wouldn't have gone this route, but now I'm trying to help a friend who is in a jam.

Thanks, Erik

Murgatroy
07-16-2007, 07:55 PM
The heads will swap.

They are both A series engines. She bought a 5AFE (1.5l) to replace the 4AFE (1.6l.)

I am guessing the injectors on the 5AFE are in the intake as opposed to being in the head like the 4AFE design?

If the connectors are the same, it may be plug and play. If they aren't, I would do the head swap like suggested.

What was wrong with the engine in the first place? It wasn't something that could be head related could it?

daddye
07-16-2007, 09:50 PM
Bottom end failure due to loss of oil. Thanks for the info.

Murgatroy
07-17-2007, 12:39 PM
Yeah, just swap the short blocks. Simple as that. I am not certain about all the sensors and so forth, but I think it is just that simple. I can't think of anyone offhand on the site that has a 5AFE, most Celicas (other than the ST model) came with an S series engine. However, if you were to ask at a Corolla based site, they might have more answers as the FWD Corollas from the late 80s to the mid 90s came equipped with only an A series.

I hate to send you to a different site, as we (and by we I mean mainly me) like to keep all information under one localized domain name. Not being secretive, but trying to keep sourcing answers to a minimum of searching.

In that thought, can I ask that if you do find an issue with sensors that you would post back and update? So as to help other swappers in the future?

Thanks and good luck.