PDA

View Full Version : 5sfe Turbo kits

Apostle
02-09-2005, 06:47 PM
I recently found a turbo kit on http://www.poweredbytoyota.com/. This kit costs about $2500 and can produce up to 10PSI, and they claim you do not need an intercooler if your going to produce 5-7PSI. Does anyone have this kit? Is it worth it? I'm going to start a turbo project when the summer rolls around when i have more time. My intentions are not racing, so 5-7PSI is fine for me. I also want to go on a 2-3k budget for this project so i don't want to be fishing parts for engine internals. And don't tell me to do a 3s-gte swap. Thanks.

http://lib1.store.vip.sc5.yahoo.com/lib/burientoyota/Turb6.gif

Hooligan
02-09-2005, 08:32 PM
Around here, it's more popular to asssemble your own kit. People have put together better kits for around $1000 (with an intercooler).

Start reading up in thie forum. There are a few threads about 5SFE turbos (usually called 5SFTE).

nuclearhappines
02-09-2005, 08:32 PM
>>Does anyone have this kit?
No but i had a similar kit based on a ct-26 and an FMU

>>Is it worth it?
I would say 8psi and up was where the car really started to come alive

>>5-7PSI is fine for me. I also want to go on a 2-3k budget for this project so i don't want to be fishing parts for engine internals.

you can match this kit if you choose to do so yourself

3sgte exhaust manifold 70
used CT-26 possibly rebuilt/upgraded 250-500
downpipe 250
bov 150
2 bar map sensor 70
440cc/min injectors 70
injector resistor pack 60
oil lines/fittings 50
intake filter 30
3 2.5" manderel bends 45-60
2 silicone couplers 30
mating your dp to the your stock exhaust 40

around 1100

that's it

i do have some used parts that i mentioned above (injectors, map sensor ...etc) ...if you want to buy them new then you're gonna pay 2x or 3x for some of these items ...you come out around where their kit is ...

but here's the good thing if you do it yourself... you can pick any trim turbo you want... you have money left over for essencial things

boost gauge
egt gauge
upgraded ignition
SAFC or emanage to tune your setup
fmic intercooler ...etc

but what i think is the most effective thing to do is to go with an emanage and a side mount intercooler... the intercooler itself will cost you 50-100 dollars depending on weather you use a DSM intercooler (good for 250hp) or a supra intercooler (good for 400hp) ... and you fit it in your fender ...cut openings in your splash guard for air to escape ... and make some air guids to it in the front fog light openings in the bumper...

so for another 600 dollars you have the ability to tune, and you have an intercooler...

1700 you still have more to go before you reach the price of the burien kit

However if you don't want the hassle ...it is a good reliable kit ...and they have good customer service from what i heard in the past ..

Snafu
02-09-2005, 10:49 PM
In all honesty, you could source those exact same parts used, and incorporate an SAFC and an intercooler in the bit.

I'd go custom, it's much cheaper, and you can easily manipulate the parts you want to use for a better output.

The prices that Nuke posted are even on the high end of things. 150 for a BOV? Yeah, if you go with a name brand greddy one, or something similar. 1G DSM BOV's work very well, and I bought mine for 30 bucks. Also, if you can weld, or have access to it, the DP can cost you almost next to nothing.

Apostle
02-09-2005, 11:40 PM
Excuse me for my knowledge, i just bought a celica, i didn't know a 3sgte manifold would fit on my 5sfe. What about the downpipe, would that also be from a 3sgte or custom? And i'm guessing the intercooler piping would also have to be custom. Damn its really hard to find a shop out here.

spoolin_gt
02-10-2005, 12:06 AM
wow..2500???i think it would be better of if you built your own...and i know that you dont wanna hear the 3sgte stuff...but that's the same price a 3sgte will cost you swapped in your car...just my .02..

Snafu
02-10-2005, 12:28 AM
Honestly man, you don't need a shop what-so-ever.

Just buy some silicone coupers and some U bends. You can easily make that.

My downpipe so far (In the process of building it) consists of 1 2.5" U bend and a small bit of straight pipe. Buy a cheap MIG welder, and then you can do it all yourself.

Apostle
02-10-2005, 05:24 AM
Honestly man, you don't need a shop what-so-ever.

Just buy some silicone coupers and some U bends. You can easily make that.

My downpipe so far (In the process of building it) consists of 1 2.5" U bend and a small bit of straight pipe. Buy a cheap MIG welder, and then you can do it all yourself.

hmm sounds good, maybe i'll try this instead, which site sells T304 stainless steel bends for the best price?

Snafu
02-10-2005, 05:55 AM
Hm... I dunno man. I'd probably try like Burn stainless or something. Personally, I would just go mild steel. For one, it's cheaper. Second of all, it's a LOT easier to weld (you can weld it with a simple MIG welder), and it will last. If you want to go stainless, I'd try Burns or a local shop.

Todd
02-10-2005, 04:25 PM
Yeah, definately build a custom kit. You can do it way better for way less. I have around $2k invested. Keep in mind, thats with all stainless lines/AN fittings (adds up pretty quick at $20 a fitting), FMIC/piping, boost/EGT/oil temp gauge, BTM, machine shop fees, and adjustable FPR. I got my CT-26, manifold, and downpipe for $275, so look around and maybe youll find a good deal.
For intercooler piping, all you need are some 90* bends and a few 45* bends. Join the mr2 forums, www.mr2oc.com , and browse around the Hybrid forum there, as well as reading this: http://www.mr2oc.com/showthread.php?t=4296

nuclearhappines
02-10-2005, 07:33 PM
hah

i quoted on the high side ? of coures... i was talking about an equivelant kit...

here's the nuke style kit:

3sgte ex manifold
mk3 supra CT-26
stock dp + gutted cat (dyno proven to be within af ew hp of a shiny dp)

Vortech 8:1 FMU 120 new, 60 used
vr4 fuel pump 50 dollars or bosch inline booster pump
MKIV supra or DSM SMIC 70 dollars
check valve FCD 15 dollars

boost gauge, a/f gauge, mbc 150 tops
fittings lines 100 dollars
some radiator hose to the SMIC and back (60 at most from turbo to IC and IC to TB)

Sum it up:

890 dollars ...good for up to 10psi

Cheaper than a nitrous setup ...oh i forgot the BOV ... supra, dsm ,rx7 ...any stock bov ... 15-30 dollars ... you can even get hte DSM bov with the 2" BOV pipe and that would match the 2" piping feeding to the 2" inlet DSM/mkiv intercooler ... so no welding fabbing there either

-nuke

Snafu
02-10-2005, 07:58 PM
www.Homemadeturbo.com

Nuke, that'd be a kickass setup man. Now do it. haha

Apostle
02-11-2005, 06:43 AM
yea fabbricating a BOV inlet will be kinda hard. They have piping with BOV flange for DSM's at http://www.dejontool.com/DSM-2g%20SIC.htm 99 dollars and u can choose color/custom flange, but its 2 1/4 inch piping.

Edit: Somebody mentioned gutting the cat. Wouldn't that lead to backfire, and not pass inspections. Can i just put a high flow Magnaflow one instead.

Hooligan
02-11-2005, 01:59 PM
BOV flanges really aren't that hard. You could honestly make them by hand if you bought a small piece of material, and had a drill and a dremel.

Snafu
02-11-2005, 02:54 PM
Or you could buy one from Roadraceengineering.com

Hooligan
02-11-2005, 04:01 PM
Or you could buy one from Roadraceengineering.com

That too. My point was just that you shouldn't let a BOV flange stop you from doing this. :)

Tommy91GT
02-11-2005, 05:17 PM
What's the chance of this getting a sticky for future reference? I think it's got some awesome info in it for the people that can't afford a lot.

Todd
02-11-2005, 05:32 PM
i promise a write up sometime.
sorry its taken me so long, but you guys will get one eventually.

and just take the bov/pipe to the machine shop and have them make a flange. mine cost less thatn $20.

Snafu
02-12-2005, 04:18 PM
Yeah, I just took the stock dsm flange/pipe, hack saw'd it off, cleaned it, and welded it on. Perfect man.

I promise I'll get a writeup in about a month. I'm waiting for a 2 or 2.5 bar map sensor, but primarily waiting for warm weather. Once that happens, you'll see a writeup ASAP.

Celica GT 91
02-13-2005, 04:47 AM
Where could I find a turbo and manifold for that price? I have been looking online but not finding much in that price range. Should I be looking at salvage yards and things to the nature. Please help me out, I have very interested.

Apostle
02-13-2005, 05:23 AM
eBay would be the best place for finding a used 3sgte manifold.

Snafu
02-13-2005, 06:07 AM
Hell, they even have some tubular ones out there for pretty cheap too. Not the best quality, but they work.

Apostle
02-13-2005, 06:31 AM
hmm i think im gonna duplicate the burien kit myself (without an intercooler) and run low boost, except that kit uses a TD06 turbo instead of the CT26.

O yea and it would also be helpful if the people who already did 5sfte's share pictures of their engine.

Syn
02-14-2005, 04:59 PM
Just wondering if you've considered rebuilding your 5SFE first, so it's got a solid chance of surviving a life of boost? Being over a decade old, changing all of the gaskets would be a good idea, imo. What does everyone esle think?

Todd
02-14-2005, 05:24 PM
great idea. not all of us have that kind of money. and yes, its cheaper to do preventative maintnence than rebuild when the whole thing goes kaboom.
i think it has a very solid chance of surviving under boost....we shall see .

Apostle
02-15-2005, 06:18 AM
I recently put it a new oil gasket, and yes i will defently be putting in a new head gasket. You think i should replace pistons, camshafts, or any other internal goodies or should they be fine running 5-7 pounds of boost.

Celica GT 91
02-15-2005, 01:53 PM
If you are already going to have the head off I would replace the head studs just in case, but thats just me. Also I would go with a new metal head gasket.

Snafu
02-15-2005, 02:51 PM
Yeah, for sure replace headstuds, I'd rock some ARP's. Have you done a compression/leak down test at all? If your compression is good, I wouldn't worry about replacing the internals at all, and for sure not the camshafts. As CelicaGT91 said, a good metal head gasket and some headbolts will do just find with some small boost.

nuclearhappines
02-15-2005, 04:32 PM
if you had the will to freshen the whole thing up

piston rings
rod and main bearings
98+ camry metal head gasket
3sgte oil and water pumps
timing belt
rod bolts
valve stem seals in the head... and sand down the back sides of your valves (just clean up the head basically)

you don't need to upgrade any internals, they are strong enough

a good trick also is to get two sets of rod bearings ... on my 5sfe when i took the bottom end apart there was an oil hole in only one of the two halves of the bearing for each rod.... ie 180* lubrication ... on the vr4 there was a hole per half or two per rod... 360* lubrication... the extra lubrication is supposedly good for motors that expect to see alot of high rpm usage ... or alot of load on their bearings (towing, long gearing boost, nitrous ... whatever)...

so if i were to do it agian i'd switch my 5sfe to 360* bearings with the higher flow 3sgte oil pump

as far as intercoolers go. I ran without an intercooler on my car for 6 months (Basically till i blew my turbo, took the whole setup off and sold it)...

it works, but if you use boost for a long period of time you will start to feel the heat soak ...loss of power ...etc

a side mount should be very cheap and easy to setup... you might want to look into that (even though i know nobody has attempted it yet)

vr4, DSM , saab, supra, RS6, 300zx ...etc all came with SMIC's ... it should be fairly easy to mount the intercooler in the fender and run piping to it... at most you may need to relocated the battery to the trunk to make room for piping ... but even so it makes for a much more stable setup and then you'll be ready for 10psi when you finally decided to go there (and you will... it's only a matter of time imho)

-nuke

Apostle
03-28-2005, 06:58 PM
what about the catalytic converter? Do the 5sfe cats have the same flanges as the 3sgte flanges?

CelicaGT4
03-28-2005, 08:36 PM
I have EVERYTHING you need to boost a 5sfe motor still for sale. I'm only asking 700 and that includes an intercooler, Downpipe, manifold, turbo, 440cc top feed injectors, oil feed/return lines, and wastegate. I can't believe no one has taken this kit off my hands yet!

SilverCel
03-29-2005, 05:36 AM
hey Celicagt4 hows the shape of the turbo and stuff?

also do you have the map sensor?

I'll totally buy it off you, no joke. me and my gf just came to the conclusion that as a gift to me she'll pay for half of a turbo setup for my car.

TurboGTS22
06-14-2005, 02:22 AM
will u sell anything seperately if silvercel does not buy it?

VikingJZ
06-17-2005, 11:31 PM
Hey guys. For those of you wanting to duplicate Burien's kit. I found the instructions on my own Googling. Most of you have probably seen this, but for those who haven't, here is the link. This link is for Burien's set-up and may only serve as a guide for a custom kit.

http://www.phillium.com/files/5sfeTurbo.pdf#search='5sfe%20turbo'