PDA

View Full Version : R.I.P 1991 Celica GT HB 7/11/07 (56k beware)

inittab
07-12-2007, 04:34 PM
This is what happens when a semi decides he wants your lane, wants it bad, and doesn't care that you are currently in it.

EDIT: Way too many pictures for one post. If you want to see the rest you can go to http://hacked.org/~inittab/celica/
http://hacked.org/~inittab/celica/023-Medium.JPG

Ads28
07-12-2007, 04:41 PM
holy....that sux man ....atleast your ok

celicatrd93
07-12-2007, 04:42 PM
oh shit sorry to hear that, i thought it wasn't that bad from the first pic, but damn that thing is done, hopefully he had insurance and you got some money out of this, and maybe another celica after this? but sorry to hear that as long as you alright

T-spoon
07-12-2007, 04:42 PM
Owwweee. Hopefully police came out and his insurance is paying for your car? When'd that happen?

burnyd
07-12-2007, 04:52 PM
Well Atleast Your Okay!

inittab
07-12-2007, 04:58 PM
Basically I was driving next to him in the left lane, Apparently his lane was ending so he abrubtly cut over into mine, I slammed on the brakes to try to drop back, I almost made it but the rear left wheel on his trailer Nailed my bumper (as you can see) which kinda kicked me into the wall (the slight bits of damage on left side of car) then he proceeded to ride his trailer up along the right side of the car. Once he finally got by me I went to stop and the dickwad kept going, I took a quick look at the tach and seen the car was still running, so I dropped it into second and took off after him (Props to the celica for still moving in that condition) and chased him down blaring my horn for about half a mile before he finally pulled over. He was cited for changing lanes, I'm in the clear.

CollapsedNut
07-12-2007, 05:22 PM
shoulda been lower and pulled a fast and the furious, go under it :D sucks dude why didnt he stop untill you chased him down

inittab
07-12-2007, 05:30 PM
No Idea, My only guess is he was from West Virgina and it just didnt hit his small peanut brain until that long (No offense to any actual smart west virginians around here) He was actually amazed when the cop wrote him a ticket, the whole time he was thinking it was my fault. You cant see it well in the pictures but the tire is rubbing like mad in the crushed corner and off about 10 degrees of where it should be, and I got the car back up to 55mph that way.

geebes
07-12-2007, 05:40 PM
Ouch...GT is down! Glad ur ok...that semi truck driver is a dumbass!

DarkSideCelica
07-12-2007, 06:03 PM
RIP :(

glad u're ok bro

Slider
07-12-2007, 06:27 PM
Damn that sucks, at least you got him, it would've been bad if he got away. Looks like the Celica is a trooper driving after that, sad to see it mangled up like that. Whenever I see trucks on the highway I try to pass them as fast as possible. Them having a huge blind spot along with a driver that's probably driving way too long can lead to nothing good while being next to them. I also got rid of the stock wussy horns on my car for some better ones.

What are you planning for your next car?

inittab
07-12-2007, 06:53 PM
I was in passing mode, i was about half way past him when he decided to slam to the left

2kSnakEater
07-12-2007, 08:20 PM
that'l buff out

Slider
07-12-2007, 08:24 PM
I was in passing mode, i was about half way past him when he decided to slam to the left

Looks like a good excuse to slap a turbo on the car :hehe:

Rix86
07-12-2007, 08:28 PM
that'l buff out
Word.

Colossus20v
07-12-2007, 08:40 PM
That sucks and I am glad your alright. He probably had no clue he even hit you. Time for an alltrac now. :)

extremeskillz
07-12-2007, 08:42 PM
that'l buff out

With a high quality diamond blade. :hehe:

Glad you ok man and good you chase that trucker down.

Melchior
07-12-2007, 09:56 PM
Holy crap man! Glad you're alright!

poor celi....

SEE! this month is eating our cars! Who is next!?

extremeskillz
07-12-2007, 10:33 PM
Melchior has a point about this. This is one bad month for celicas.

GT4SOM
07-12-2007, 11:15 PM
Wow that is a funky accident. Its a good thing you didn't have a passenger with his arm hanging out the door lol or bye bye arm. He probably would have kept going. Did you tell the cop that? What a jackass trucker.

vms4evr
07-12-2007, 11:17 PM
Sorry to hear about your car. Glad it protected you. That's what counts. I can't believe that trucker didn't realize he ran over your car. That's BS! He should have been charged for that and trying to leave the scene.

inittab
07-13-2007, 12:43 AM
Im almost positive he knew he hit me. the first thing he said to the cop was that I was trying to outrun past him. which was BS. I was just cruising by at a decent speed, not even really on the throttle. I would actually love to get another celica but I think im going to hold off right now and just drive my camaro and get it running good. Oh btw, if this doesnt add insult to injury, My rental car showed up today. A PT Cruiser. Yeah. One of those. sigh...

This probably needs to go into the website forums but we should have a little gallery board to post the death's/rebirths of celicas. just as kind of an honourary thing.

zmile06
07-13-2007, 12:59 AM
If you would of thrown a fit, and told the cop if he didn't cite him for a hit and run that you would go to court over it.

believe it or not cops are pretty lenient on that stuff... They either don't want to do the paper work, or just want to give the guy a break. The cop might not of known the whole story, next time explain what happened, and that you had to honk your horn like crazy.

I'm honestly surprised you arent in a neck brace... If the companies insurance company calls you, tell them you want to mail them pictures of whats left of your car. Include a letter explaining it was your transport to work, and that it was a traumatic experience etc. They will probable give you a nice check without having to hire a lawyer.

Make sure you include all recently replaced parts, and all aftermarket parts.

I'm glad your ok though, that semi driver needs to get his ass kicked. When a car has more then 1,000 worth of damage i flip out.

inittab
07-13-2007, 01:09 AM
I wrote an entire report of the accident and signed it, the cop read that he basically ran off. I recentlly swapped the motor out in it with another 5sfe after the first one threw a rod, so all that work went to waste. Believe it or not I can go out there right now, start it up and move it. Although the body rubs on the tire :)

celica91gts
07-13-2007, 01:27 AM
Holy crap man! Glad you're alright!

poor celi....

SEE! this month is eating our cars! Who is next!?
for real. all our celicas got shitted on this month.

inittab
07-13-2007, 01:34 AM
How many celi's died this month? I've been rather busy so I havnt been on the boards that much

zmile06
07-13-2007, 01:37 AM
Cops read it, but they dont really care... Its more of a papper work type thing to be honest buddy. It does get looked over more later, but if he dosent get cited then, chances are he wont ever.

amx
07-13-2007, 03:09 AM
Once he finally got by me I went to stop and the dickwad kept going, I took a quick look at the tach and seen the car was still running, so I dropped it into second and took off after him (Props to the celica for still moving in that condition) and chased him down blaring my horn for about half a mile before he finally pulled over.

Props to you for having the presence of mind to chase him down, man!

Really sucks what happened to your car, but better the celi than you. Glad to hear you're okay.

GT4SOM
07-13-2007, 05:15 AM
Thats it I'm not driving my celicas for the rest of this month lol. If I do i'll be on the look out for truckers lol. Good thing i got a 3s to out run them.

ronin
07-13-2007, 10:13 AM
DAYAM!! that thing is mcwrecked!!! welcome to the world of motorcycle riding.. its pretty much a common occurence on a bike.

glad you are okay though..

Shadowlife25
07-13-2007, 10:21 AM
OMG!!! That is freakin' horrible.... The Toyota gods are angry this month it seems.... I'm scared to drive my 'Trac now.

I'm VERY glad you're ok after that mess. God bless.

inittab
07-13-2007, 02:30 PM
Oh I've been on the motorcycle end of crashes too, I had to lay down mine last summer when a guy cut me off.

Cavanagh
07-13-2007, 08:35 PM
Depressing, i got hit and ran on, some girl on a cell phone while driving driving :ugh: scary enough....well she tried to pull a quick one on me too, but i chased her ass down and just took her plate. :owned:

Glad you're ok

Buy another toyota! Dont leave um hangin!

inittab
07-13-2007, 09:07 PM
I think im going to have to, What do you guys think about this..
http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp;?tracktype=usedcc&searchType=21&pageNumber=0&numResultsPerPage=50&largeNumResultsPerPage=0&sortorder=descending&sortfield=PRICE+descending&certifiedOnly=false&criteria=K-%7CE-%7CM-_47_%7CD-_425_%7CN-N%7CR-30%7CI-1%7CP-PRICE+descending%7CQ-descending%7CZ-44314&aff=national&paId=234224978&recnum=8&leadExists=true

is that a rip in the vert cover? how much is a new cover if it is?

Dave9284
07-14-2007, 09:01 AM
Damn that's crazy. I've found it doesn't pay to be courteous truck drivers. They don't know how to drive. All I hear is they have a blind spot and they can't stop on a dime. Well then maybe they should be more careful about what the hell their doin. Well I'm afraid to drive my Celica and I'm afraid to park it. Whos car's next?

Slider
07-14-2007, 11:10 AM
Damn that's crazy. I've found it doesn't pay to be courteous truck drivers. They don't know how to drive. All I hear is they have a blind spot and they can't stop on a dime. Well then maybe they should be more careful about what the hell their doin. Well I'm afraid to drive my Celica and I'm afraid to park it. Whos car's next?

I think the biggest issue is with how long they have been driving on the road for on that day. I think they're limited to a certain amount by law or regulations. My buddy who is a trucker was telling me how there's tricks to get around that so a lot of drivers out there have been on the road for more than the 8 or whatever hours they're limited to.

The Captain
07-14-2007, 11:45 AM
Surrender to the alltrac. You know you want one.

vms4evr
07-14-2007, 04:36 PM
I think im going to have to, What do you guys think about this..
http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp;?tracktype=usedcc&searchType=21&pageNumber=0&numResultsPerPage=50&largeNumResultsPerPage=0&sortorder=descending&sortfield=PRICE+descending&certifiedOnly=false&criteria=K-%7CE-%7CM-_47_%7CD-_425_%7CN-N%7CR-30%7CI-1%7CP-PRICE+descending%7CQ-descending%7CZ-44314&aff=national&paId=234224978&recnum=8&leadExists=true

is that a rip in the vert cover? how much is a new cover if it is?

$4,500 ??? I hope you're not serious. Price it out on Edmunds and Kelly. It's barely worth half that. Stay away from those local, small, car dealers. Look on Craigslist, AutoTrader and the like. You can do much better in a private sale. I bought my 90 Celica GT for $1,000.

geebes
07-14-2007, 04:51 PM
^x2 that is a total rip off! I bought mine 3 years ago for 3k and it had a lot less miles than that.

inittab
07-22-2007, 01:47 AM
Currently looking at this as soon as my insurance company stops trying to rip me off on the settlement. Still have to go actually look at it though.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=224017137&dealer_id=100010140&car_year=1992&marketZipError=false&awsp=false&search_type=both&num_records=&keywordsfyc=&make=TOYOTA&transmission=&model=CELICA&distance=100&make2=&address=44314&default_sort=priceDESC&advanced=&certified=&max_mileage=&max_price=&sort_type=priceDESC&min_price=&body_code=0&end_year=1993&keywordsrep=&color=&start_year=1991&drive=&search_lang=en&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&engine=&fuel=&doors=&style_flag=1&cardist=100&LNX=ESTAFSRCHUSDTEXT

Slider
07-22-2007, 02:36 AM
Currently looking at this as soon as my insurance company stops trying to rip me off on the settlement. Still have to go actually look at it though.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=224017137&dealer_id=100010140&car_year=1992&marketZipError=false&awsp=false&search_type=both&num_records=&keywordsfyc=&make=TOYOTA&transmission=&model=CELICA&distance=100&make2=&address=44314&default_sort=priceDESC&advanced=&certified=&max_mileage=&max_price=&sort_type=priceDESC&min_price=&body_code=0&end_year=1993&keywordsrep=&color=&start_year=1991&drive=&search_lang=en&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&engine=&fuel=&doors=&style_flag=1&cardist=100&LNX=ESTAFSRCHUSDTEXT

Since it's a dealer you can usually bring them down a bit. Use anything broken or worn on it as negotiating points. Also any mods deduct the value like that ugly painted front trim.

Murgatroy
07-22-2007, 02:41 AM
I drive a truck.

Point is there are a lot of drivers out there who can't operate them properly. Don't generalize. There are more folks that can't drive a car than there are that can't drive a truck.

What you have to understand, most of the time if a trucker is not on the interstate they are not certain where they are going. Give them some room, it is easier to see a truck than it is for a truck to see you. Those things weigh a whole shitload. They don't stop on a dime. If a driver overcorrects trying to avoid some kid who think they can make it past one, they run the risk of making the load unstable and jacknifing the truck.

I am not saying that the driver who hit you was in the right, or that you were in the wrong. I am just saying don't generalize all truckers. There are good and there are bad. But most motorists don't pay enough attention to care that they are endangering their lives and the lives of others when they don't respect a tractor trailer.

The other thing you have to figure is this, if a driver puts in 12 hours a day driving, 5 days a week, that is about what the average driver does in 2 months. So One trucker is coving the amount of driving in a year that most drivers won't do in a lifetime. Now think about all the tractor trailer accidents you hear about compared to just straight car accidents. Hmmm. Fucked up ratio there isn't it. They drive 10 times as much and have 10 times less accidents...

Again, I am not saying all truckers are awesome. They aren't. I have seen many who can't operate the machine well enough to get it out of a parking lot, much less down the road.

Blackcloud
07-23-2007, 12:21 AM
damn that sucks dude.

but now its time to buy a diesel truck :hehe:

Sean
07-23-2007, 12:33 AM
Thats a really sad story, dont know why I missed this :(

I did enjoy the part where you chased him down though, thats awesome!