PDA

View Full Version : and then it went boom

Melchior
07-11-2007, 11:34 PM
So, did anyone else have their car blow up today! I know it sure was fun for me!...

Long story short I lost a rad hose on the highway... and it's record breakingly hot here today.

Damage done is :

100psi
124psi
75psi
150psi.

Alas, poor ST185, I hardly knew ye.

donteatbugs
07-11-2007, 11:37 PM
i replaced mine about 5 months back. all my coolent hoses got replaced....time for a rebuild it sounds like.

Murgatroy
07-12-2007, 01:46 AM
I blew mine up last week.

TEAMFaint
07-12-2007, 01:49 AM
Time for a JDM engine/tranny swap! $2000 installed @ JDMSource in Calgary Alberta. Not a bad deal.

Melchior
07-12-2007, 02:22 AM
No, not at all, but sadly i'm a ways away... hmmm I wonder how much shipping is...

Melchior
07-12-2007, 02:24 AM
I blew mine up last week.

Aww that sucks man. Bad month for us Toyota fans.

extremeskillz
07-12-2007, 03:11 AM
I wish you guys luck in repairs. Im pretty sure you can do a swap yourself. All you really need is a helping hand, a cherry picker, and a lot of time. Hopefully you have a spare car. This will save you money and you get to learn the in's and out's of your car. Again good luck.

1990CelicaGT-S
07-12-2007, 03:43 AM
That sucks. Are you fixing the Trac? Please tell me your fixing it.

celicatrd93
07-12-2007, 04:41 AM
hey my friend sorry to hear that,but guess what you are not the only one with bad luck today, came from work and my rod bearing is knocking like crazy, so pretty much it fucked my crank up too. lucky me its only a 4afe, but i am movin to cali and done spending money in my celi so i am sellin it as a nice and prefect shell. good luck with it.

Melchior
07-12-2007, 04:41 AM
Thanks for the kind words all.

For those concerned, I know what I have here and I won't easily decide to part with it or worse let it rot. My intent is to fix it, and I will try my best, but the means may just not be there.

And I know I can do a swap, technically, myself, but I live in a pretty "metropolitan" area which I must stay in for work, and it's very beyond my means to afford a place with a useable driveway, much less a garage around here. It's the type of neighborhood where if you do so much as an oilchange in your parking spot you get a nasty note about how it devalues the area. So I have no where to work on it sadly.

I'll do as much prep as I can to minimize costs, but the pulling is out of the question. The worse part is i'm also being forced to move next month (Nothing bad, just a roommate who's moving meaning i need a new place cause I'm sick of roomates) So this is horrible timing as I don't know if I can find a place where I can work on my car AND be in the area I need to be.

/sigh.

Melchior
07-12-2007, 04:45 AM
hey my friend sorry to hear that,but guess what you are not the only one with bad luck today, came from work and my rod bearing is knocking like crazy, so pretty much it fucked my crank up too. lucky me its only a 4afe, but i am movin to cali and done spending money in my celi so i am sellin it as a nice and prefect shell. good luck with it.

Wow that sucks!

For what it's worth... The 5s-fe in my GF's GT-S has a rod bearing noise as well and it's been driven on it for over 3 years. My noise isn't always there thou, only on high load between 1700-3000 rpm. Above or below, or anything less than 1/4 or more than 3/4 throttle and it's gone.

Good luck to you to

celica91gts
07-12-2007, 10:43 AM

ooooooo! ur car is sexy. how much are u selling the shell for!? why dont u drop a new engine in it? bored of it?

vms4evr
07-12-2007, 03:28 PM
And I know I can do a swap, technically, myself, but I live in a pretty "metropolitan" area which I must stay in for work, and it's very beyond my means to afford a place with a useable driveway, much less a garage around here. It's the type of neighborhood where if you do so much as an oilchange in your parking spot you get a nasty note about how it devalues the area. So I have no where to work on it sadly.

Sorry to hear all this bad news on engines here guys.

Melchior you have another option you might be able to do. In a lot of areas you can rent one of those u-store-it garages and do your engine R&R. Many of them don't care what you do in it, jsut as long as you don't mess it up. I've seen it done a few times. Once you source all the parts and have a way to get everything there and have the time. Rent one for a month and do the swap. Some will do very short term rental.

Good luck with it man. Seems a shame to waste an awesome looking shell because of a motor.

Melchior
07-12-2007, 04:32 PM
Sorry to hear all this bad news on engines here guys.

Melchior you have another option you might be able to do. In a lot of areas you can rent one of those u-store-it garages and do your engine R&R. Many of them don't care what you do in it, jsut as long as you don't mess it up. I've seen it done a few times. Once you source all the parts and have a way to get everything there and have the time. Rent one for a month and do the swap. Some will do very short term rental.

Good luck with it man. Seems a shame to waste an awesome looking shell because of a motor.

Yeah, i'm starting to think that way; I may just rent a picker and someone's garage and do it slowly over a month or two.

And don't worry, i'm not going to waste the shell : )

kaitskar
07-12-2007, 06:58 PM
My daughters 90 GT blew on the Father's day weekend on the highway. The top of the rad blew a hole 1 inch by 3 inches. Got a used 5sfe from a 91 with 127 kms on it for $500.00 from a local wrecker. Took a weekend to remove old and install new.