PDA

View Full Version : How to make an awesome bleeder tool for cheap

Luni
07-10-2007, 11:08 PM
For those of us who hate pumping clutch pedals and brake pedals, and found that the cheap ass plastic hand bleeder pumps are crap, and if you want a good one its gonna cost you some money, this is a good alternative that WORKS, its CHEAP as hell to make, and its EASY.

Ok, get a gatorade bottle. 32oz or 16oz, doesnt matter.

Go to autozone/checker and buy some vacuum line. About 6 feet will prolly do it. Maybe even less.

Drill 2 small holes in the cap. Make the holes slightly smaller than the diameter of the vacuum line you are using. DRILL the holes, so they are perfectly round. Stuff the vacuum line in (you will have to force it) and push it in just a little bit. Should be relatively flush with the bottom of the cap. Screw the cap back on, seal one line while sucking on the other. It should be airtight and hold a seal. If it doesnt, then use some RTV or hot glue or something to get it to seal and then continue. You cant move on until that bottle seals perfectly. I got mine to seal first time.

Pull your bleeder screw off and put teflon tape on it. Then screw it back in and tighten it down all the way with your finger so it seals tight. Stick the vacuum line for one side on the end of it so it seals over the bleeder hole. On the other one, suck the air out of the bottle. It should seal airtight and start sucking the sides in because there will be negative pressure in there. Keep sucking till the bottle starts to distort cause youre depressurizing it inside. Put your finger over the end you were just sucking on to hold the negative pressure in. (you could even put a valve on it so you can just close it and not worry about it losing pressure).

The cool part now. Open the bleeder valve, the sudden influx of negative pressure on one side will SUCK all the air bubbles and fluid through the clutch lines. Youll see the bottle start taking on fluid, and spitting out air bubbles.

It took me over an hour of trying to hand bleed an SW20 clutch to no avail. I put my self made bleeder on there and seriously 10 seconds later it was bled.

Just make sure your master cylinder is full cause this WILL suck fluid through pretty quick.

It works. If you make it right, and the device seals, it works. I promise. And it works better than any hand pump.

Whats cool about it is if you wanted to get lazy, you could connect a vaccum line to the other side, if you installed a valve, and start the engine. Then simply turn the valve and the cars vacuum would bleed it for you. And since its being deposited into the bottle, your engine couldnt suck anything back up into itself unless the bottle filled up, and that is unlikely cause youre watching it and thats why you installed a valve.

It is like the perfect bleeder. Works on brakes, works on clutches, works on anything that is a pressurized system that uses a bleeder valve to purge air from the pressurized system.

Mine I call the "SW20-B" (B is for bleeder).

And another cool thing about this thing, is you can now bleed your brakes, clutch, etc ALONE. You dont need a buddy pumping stuff while you get fluid all over the place trying to bleed by hand.

Mr Celica
07-10-2007, 11:22 PM
Nice! I'll have to try that! Thanks for the info!

Funny how the simplest things work the best, huh...

-Rich

Luni
07-10-2007, 11:40 PM
I honestly couldnt get this stupid NA MR2s clutch to bleed I was working on... built this thing and it did it in NO time flat. I was so impressed with myself. :)

And I had never read about it, or stole anyones idea. I actually had an ingenious idea for once. I swear!

extremeskillz
07-11-2007, 01:04 AM
Build a few and sell it to make some money back on your inovation!

caneman
07-11-2007, 02:46 AM
I honestly couldnt get this stupid NA MR2s clutch to bleed I was working on... built this thing and it did it in NO time flat. I was so impressed with myself. :)
And I had never read about it, or stole anyones idea. I actually had an ingenious idea for once. I swear!
I can see it now: Four o'clock in the morning on a cable channel; an infomercial, with some very loud announcer with an Australian accent, selling:

"Luni's Super Sucker Automatic Brake Bleeder and Marital Aid!"
"Only $19.99 In Your Choice of Currency!"
(Sorry, Russian Rubles Can No Longer Be Accepted)
"Buy One and Get a Second One Free!"
"Buy NOW and Get Luni's Limitless Lifetime Power Chip, Available in Original, Barbeque, and Nacho!"
"Free! Free! FREE!"
"All With No Guarantee Whatsoever!"

Luis C
07-11-2007, 03:05 AM
Pics ?

1990CelicaGT-S
07-11-2007, 03:45 AM
I'm making one at the shop first thing in the morning. I hate pulling someone else off thier job to "pump it up". Good job Luni, I wont sell your idea though.

Luni
07-11-2007, 08:04 AM
Ill take a pic of it for you Luis. Its at Borinals house. Took it wiht me to bleed his MR2 when we get his engine ready. :)

alltracshoak
07-11-2007, 08:44 AM
what do you mean by
"Pull your bleeder screw off and put teflon tape on it. Then screw it back in and tighten it down all the way with your finger so it seals tight."

MCcelica
07-11-2007, 09:02 AM
I can see it now: Four o'clock in the morning on a cable channel; an infomercial, with some very loud announcer with an Australian accent, selling:

"Buy NOW and Get Luni's Limitless Lifetime Power Chip, Available in Original, Barbeque, and Nacho!"
"Free! Free! FREE!"

That was nothing short of amazing :laugh:

Shadowlife25
07-11-2007, 09:35 AM
Good job Luni. :) I've been doing it this way for years. It's MUCH better than having to con one of your buddies to come help you, or get a co-worker to stop what he's doing. Plus the cool thing is, that you can use a little wedge(like on an IV) to hold pressure or release it. ;)

cms-gt4
07-11-2007, 04:34 PM
Good idea, I have a feeling I am going to be doing a lot of bleeding while I build my new brake system.

Luni
07-11-2007, 07:18 PM
I love you caneman you old codger :)

"Free! Free! FREE!"

caneman
07-12-2007, 01:21 AM
I love you caneman you old codger :)
Luni, the feeling's mutual... In a hetero kind of way...

caneman
07-12-2007, 01:26 AM
what do you mean by
"Pull your bleeder screw off and put teflon tape on it. Then screw it back in and tighten it down all the way with your finger so it seals tight."
To prevent losing vacuum via the loosened bleeder screw threads... You could also try a little Vaseline on the threads.

2kSnakEater
07-12-2007, 03:10 AM
"Free! Free! FREE!"

after reading this, I would like to purchase 10.

Luis C
07-12-2007, 04:05 AM
Ill take a pic of it for you Luis. Its at Borinals house. Took it wiht me to bleed his MR2 when we get his engine ready. :)

Thanks man... I can picture it in my mind but an image speaks a thousand words. :bigthumbu

Luni
07-12-2007, 07:30 PM
Never thought of vaseline.

I just always use teflon tape.

89gtcon
08-09-2007, 10:58 PM
nominate this thread for "tech archivification"

Disco Dan
08-10-2007, 06:12 PM
Cool idea.

I'm also glad to hear that I'm not the only person who has had trouble with bleeding a clutch the traditional way. People here kept saying "You've gotta pump the clutch a bunch of times, like at least 10" as if I hadn't already done it four-fold.

What bothers me is that I still don't know WHY I was unable to bleed that clutch. I mean, one would think that following the steps in the FSM would be adequate. I kept checking on the first pages of the Transmission section, thinking maybe I had missed a step; I must have read those directions 20 times. In the end, I ended up swapping out the entire set of lines and cylinders from an already-bled car, which was a royal pain, but it got the job done!

Anyway, any thoughts as to why a clutch might not bleed the traditional method?

Luni
08-16-2007, 06:35 PM
Not on a FWD car no. Ive never had a problem bleeding it on a FWD car. On the MR2 its a real PITA.

burnyd
08-16-2007, 07:45 PM
Not on a FWD car no. Ive never had a problem bleeding it on a FWD car. On the MR2 its a real PITA.

finallly you admit it !!!!!!!!!

Bleeding coolant in an mr2 is like no other.... especially when your done swapping everything and you overheat do to one fucking bubble lol.

Luni
08-20-2007, 05:19 PM
Yeah, its a PITA burnyd. But once youve done it a few times you know what to look for. It only takes me about 10 minutes to bleed coolant normally on an MR2. My tool cuts it down to about 3 minutes.

Blackcloud
08-21-2007, 06:09 AM
:cool: good idea man

i saw something similar years ago but with a baby food container

Luni
08-21-2007, 08:30 PM
Im gonna use a check valve on mine. I just found a box that I have that has a few of them in it.

Rick89GTS
09-02-2007, 06:47 PM
Pics, damn it!