PDA

View Full Version : Questionable buy?

Blue91CelicaGT
07-09-2007, 07:39 PM
I have a 1991 gt but looking to upgrade to an alltrac. I've found one for reasonable price(1990 alltrac) only thing is its not starting right now. The seller has assured me that the car "was" running fine. But there was a whole in the gas tank and he pulled it out to fix it but once he put it back in the car wont start. Anyone have any clue what he may have done wrong? anything I could check (maybe for a quick fix)? I'm planning on picking up the car sometime this week, so I would really like to have it started quickly, any suggestions/tips would be great. thanks

2kSnakEater
07-09-2007, 07:49 PM
dddoooooooo eeeeeetttt!!!

Colossus20v
07-09-2007, 08:02 PM
dddoooooooo eeeeeetttt!!!
^very helpful post.

seems like fuel related. DOes the fuel pump come on? Might just need a new fuse or something.

Blue91CelicaGT
07-09-2007, 08:14 PM
I havent even got a chance to go out and see the car yet(2.5 hours away), Im only telling you what the owner has told me. Was running when he took it out, once put back in wont start.

BTW hes asking $3,000 Cnd

extremeskillz
07-09-2007, 08:18 PM
It could have air in the fuel line. This a situation where you need to see it or you just gonna get guesses. Good luck

Berg
07-09-2007, 08:29 PM
Unfortunately knowing only that the gas tank was removed and then reinstalled and now it doesn't work leaves room for a lot of "could be". Things that jump to my mind:
-Fuel pump not properly connected
-Fuel pump fuse blown
-Gas removed to do repair... was it filled again? (I know, silly question, but it does happen)
-Air in fuel system (requiring it to be primed)
-Fuel lines incorrectly connected

Hope it helps!

Cheers,
Berg

2kSnakEater
07-09-2007, 09:56 PM
did he not ask if he should buy it or not? I thats why I responded with do et.

and he should buy it, only 20% of people who own all-tracs actualy have then run enough to drive.

Colossus20v
07-09-2007, 10:04 PM
did he not ask if he should buy it or not? I thats why I responded with do et.

nope. He said he was going to get it already and was wondering what the cause of it not running could be. But whatever.

2kSnakEater
07-09-2007, 10:26 PM
nope. He said he was going to get it already and was wondering what the cause of it not running could be. But whatever.

sorry, just re-read the post and your right.

blue91GT

make sure the seller didnt "rig" anything, if you find any "rigged" items then go from there and I would personaly stay away from any car that has too many *riged* items.

zmile06
07-09-2007, 11:45 PM
Ya it could be quite a few things=( This might be a weird thing to ask, but did he replace the fuel pump? He could of damaged the new one, or got a bad fuel pump. It could also be hooked up wrong.

I'm trying to think of a way to figure out if its working or not, Try banging on the gas tank where the fuel pumper is, some times that gets it. You should hear it prep, its like small buzzing noise. If it preps and the car dosent start, then i would consider not buying it.

For the price though, i would probable buy it.

1990CelicaGT-S
07-10-2007, 03:29 AM
I'd buy it wheter or not I could see the problem right off or not. When your looking around for this "fuel gremlin" make sure to have a good look over the rest of the car too. It not starting may not be the only problem this Trac has.

By the way, if you don't buy it. Where is the car located?

Blue91CelicaGT
07-10-2007, 02:23 PM
But in order to buy this car I would have to sell my car...
And True, I'm only going on the word of the seller but I would like to have the car atleast start-up before I buy. I'm supposed to go down to see it sometime this week and will probably leave a deposit. I really hoping its nothing more then a gremlin in the fuel line.

Gary
07-10-2007, 04:32 PM
But in order to buy this car I would have to sell my car...
That might be a bad idea if you don't have other daily driver.

Blue91CelicaGT
07-10-2007, 06:50 PM
That might be a bad idea if you don't have other daily driver.

I'm willing to take that risk for a Trac. :D

If I have to I'll resort to using my parents :( car.

burnyd
07-10-2007, 07:23 PM
I'm willing to take that risk for a Trac. :D

If I have to I'll resort to using my parents :( car.

yeeeaaaahhhhh dont do it lol. I would make sure you have another vehicle first.

Like me for example... I got an alltrac on a really good deal..now the guy said of course " nothing is wrong with it lol...." I dont think he knew alot aobu tthe cars themselves or just cars in general... I have the following wrong with my car... advanced timing , wrong sized fuel injectors.. a massive vac leak.. and the rear transmission mount I still have to put in...

Once I get it done it will be a hella fun car... when alltracs run there amazing cars... but I wouldnt rely on this car to get me to school / work everyday.

Rampage94
07-10-2007, 08:23 PM
these are VERY fun cars when running, but they need deep pockets to keep running spot on.. and $3,000 is VERY pricey for a non running GT4/Alltrac. honestly i wouldnt do it without haveing another car to drive, even if its a $100 beater. for example my GT4 just went titts up, I now need to do a full engine rebuild. but i have other vehicals. when you go to check it see what has been done to it, see if the Fuel pump constant voltage wireing trick has been done. also if the fuel defender cut has been done. these all have an impact on how reliable the car is.

=cJ=
07-11-2007, 10:00 AM
In the diagnostic box, jump Fp to B+ , that will make the pump turn on with the ignition.

Handy for cutting out all the other crap that is supposed to make the fuel pump run better.

However, if the pump itself is stuffed, or the wiring directly to it, this will not help.

Worth a try though :)

Blue91CelicaGT
07-11-2007, 02:27 PM
I just came off the phone with the seller to get some more information, he said that the cars will start up fine but then it will die after about 5-10 seconds. Me and my buddy are going out there today to take a look at it. I may be able to keep my GT afterall(just got my taxes back), so if everything looks,sounds & feels OK I'm probably going to grab it. Wish me luck.

2kSnakEater
07-11-2007, 02:30 PM
Take pics!

burnyd
07-11-2007, 03:08 PM
I just came off the phone with the seller to get some more information, he said that the cars will start up fine but then it will die after about 5-10 seconds. Me and my buddy are going out there today to take a look at it. I may be able to keep my GT afterall(just got my taxes back), so if everything looks,sounds & feels OK I'm probably going to grab it. Wish me luck.

that could really be anything from a bad fuel pump , clogged filter to an air flow meter... best thing to do is put it in diagnostic mode and check through for codes.

Blue91CelicaGT
07-11-2007, 03:42 PM
Heres a pic I got from him, sure does look purdy :D , although he tells me therre is some rust under the rocker panel.
http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb158/tehbartman/4662690_jpg.jpg

Berg
07-11-2007, 03:42 PM
I had a very similar problem on a 3S-GE. The MAF was unplugged. If I'm not mistaken the fuel pump is turned on briefly when starting. It then remains on as long as the MAF sends a signal indicating that there is air moving into the engine. If the MAF closes (no air moving past it) it shuts off the fuel pump. I believe that it is a safety feature to turn off the fuel pump if the engine stalls. If the MAF isn't plugged in then the engine wouldn't run properly anyway. If it is plugged in and the rest of the system seems to be working fine then you can short the pins in the jumper box like =cj= said to get it running. Not a permanent fix, but it'll get you home (assuming that the MAF fuel pump shut off is the problem). Hope it helps!

Cheers,
Berg

Blue91CelicaGT
07-12-2007, 06:07 PM
Well last night I went out to take a look at the AllTrac, pretty good shape I think the problem is in the fuel, I think he reversed the lines. Other then that the car is clean and well mainted. And he is also the first owner so I'm going to go ahead and get the car. Hopefully it wont put me in the poor house to get it up and running again.

burnyd
07-12-2007, 06:18 PM
Hopefully it wont put me in the poor house to get it up and running again.

Its not a good idea, these cars will put you in the poor house and wipe out your entire bank account. Its not a smart decision... unless you have another vehicle.

Blue91CelicaGT
07-12-2007, 07:42 PM
As of right now I'm not planning on selling my GT unless I get my asking price.
I "had" 2 buyers who backed out so for now, I own 2 celicas.

Blue91CelicaGT
07-21-2007, 04:19 PM
Well I finally got a chance to look at the car last night. I figured out what was wrong, the pipe from the intake had a crack in it(prevent a vacuum to form) and the AFM wasn't detecting any air flow so shut off the fuel pump. I took some pic I'll post them up later. Was a quick and simple fix. So happy...

PhillyDRFT
07-21-2007, 04:52 PM
Very lucky find. I'm glad / jealous that you got an alltrac at such a steel. I hope it treats you well for as long as you have it.

I've always wanted an AT but since I saw Ben's in Alabama. Every time I see an AT for sale I ponder where I can scavenge the money from and how long of a drive it is. lol

Blue91CelicaGT
07-23-2007, 03:28 PM
After the sitting for 6 months the AFM had become stuck, but after freeing it up the car runs perfectely aside from needed a new battery. While I was fixing the hole in the intake line I decided to change the air filter, to my surprise I found insulation(yes like the kind you put in your wall) in under the air filter :wtf:. Does anyone have any clue as to why someone would do this?
I baught the car from the original owner and I thought it was pretty well kept, but after seeing some of his work(cut alot of corners) im starting to doubt him. All in all the car runs great, so he couldn't have done to much wrong.