PDA

View Full Version : Flex pipe?

Dave9284
07-07-2007, 11:11 AM
Well my flex pipe has a hole in it, other than that my exhaust is in perfect shape so I don't want to go replacing the whole thing, so will an exhaust shop be able to just replace that small section? Hopefully it won't cost an arm and a leg, because I don't want to do it myself, as wierd as it sounds I would rather change a timing belt than work on exhaust. And is the stock exhaust on the 92-93 5sfe 2"? I'm probably gonna get a flowmaster put on while I have this done. Thanks.

angryyoungnpoor
07-07-2007, 07:47 PM
They'll fix just part of it. It's done very often. Probably no more than a 100 bux. Maybe less.

1990CelicaGT-S
07-07-2007, 08:22 PM
Yeah, I do them almost every day. It's not a bad job at all. On your car they'll cut out the old flex, and either clamp the new one in or weld it in.

MarcusM2007
07-08-2007, 03:28 AM
less than $100?? i had a quote for 160 :( and Minake (sp?) said $350 because they won't just cut it out, they also said my car needed to have a cat. converter installed but then the guy looked in his book and saw that he poked it when he looked at my car. I need a new shop lol

Dave9284
07-08-2007, 08:34 AM
Thanks guys. I called a shop today and they said they would just clamp a new one in, so I'm thinking I might as well do it myself since I have the stuff to cut the exhaust, but where do I pick up a flex pipe? None of the parts sites I went to list the flex pipe. Do I just use one of those universal flex pipes they sell at the part store? This site is definitely awesome since I found it I've found out how to fix 3 very annoying issues.

91 celica st
07-08-2007, 08:36 AM
less than $100?? i had a quote for 160 :( and Minake (sp?) said $350 because they won't just cut it out, they also said my car needed to have a cat. converter installed but then the guy looked in his book and saw that he poked it when he looked at my car. I need a new shop lol

the 350 is probably to replace your cat too. a shop will charge around $100 for a cat. and more than that for labor if they have to weld (but they shouldnt on a ceica its flanged)

$160 isnt bad. when i didnt have acess to my welder my local shop chagerd me $210

91 celica st
07-08-2007, 08:37 AM
Thanks guys. I called a shop today and they said they would just clamp a new one in, so I'm thinking I might as well do it myself since I have the stuff to cut the exhaust, but where do I pick up a flex pipe? None of the parts sites I went to list the flex pipe. Do I just use one of those universal flex pipes they sell at the part store? This site is definitely awesome since I found it I've found out how to fix 3 very annoying issues.
measure it first to know what size to get before u cut it out. if you get clamp style make sure you dont over tighten as you can crush the pipe or break the clamp, use the right tourqe specs.

zmile06
07-08-2007, 04:54 PM
I had a whole exhaust (manifold down) bent for me for 200 dollars... excluding muffler cost. They also just put in a flex plate in instead of a flex pipe. I was planning on getting headers done later, it just makes it easier to take off and put on really.

If its more then 100 and they don't weld it tell them to shove it. Your best bet would be to find a local welder, and have him cut and weld a new one on. Its simple work, exhaust shops just charge a ton, because well thats how they make money.