PDA

View Full Version : My dad needs a new daily driver

Slider
07-06-2007, 06:08 PM
It has to be new, looking at smaller cheaper 4 cylinder 4 door cars. We're looking into the Honda Fit, Toyota Yaris, Scion xA and Nissan Versa. There's also the 2008 Scion xD coming out, but I'm not sure when that hits the dealers. According to edmunds.com all the cars I listed are about $15,000 after the typical options like ABS and power package are added with the exception of the Scion xA which is $14,000. My dad is leaning towards the Yaris. I'm thinking the Fit would be the best choice, it's a 4 door wagon so you can fit more stuff in there compared to the Yaris which is a sedan and overall it looks better IMO. xA is also a good possibility. We didn't start getting any quotes yet from the dealers but I just wanted to see if you guys have any experience with these cars or any opinions or know another model that would fit the bill. What do you think of these?

geebes
07-06-2007, 06:31 PM
My neighbor has a fit, I like the looks.

T-spoon
07-06-2007, 10:05 PM
The Yaris comes in a hatch also.. only 2door, but you still have the loading space that a hatch gives you.

phantom240
07-06-2007, 10:07 PM
Fit is nice. Suprisingly quick for such a puny motor. Also, it looks better than the other choices.

Cosco
07-06-2007, 10:09 PM
I take it you aren't interested in diving into American compacts?
My grandmother has an Aveo which has served her well. I've driven it several times and everything seems smooth except for the fact that its lacking power. But out of those choices, I would go for the fit. I really like what they are doing with them. Theres a huge aftermarket developing plus they look real good for that small of a car in my opinion. Your dad probably isn't interested in the aftermarket support but its there, since obviously, its a Honda lol. Can't forget V-tec either..haha. My aunt has a Yaris and she seems to like it, but I haven't really talked to her in depth about its functionality.

Cliffnotes:
Honda Fit.

Edited to fix typo's.

Colossus20v
07-06-2007, 10:11 PM
I like the Yaris a lot. Ive even considered getting one.

phantom240
07-06-2007, 10:14 PM
I take it you aren't interested in diving into American compacts?
My grandmother has an Aveo which has served her well. I've driven it several times and everything seems smooth except for the fact that its lacking power. But out of those choices, I would go for the fit. I really like what they are doing with them. Theres a huge aftermarket developing plus they look real good for that small of a car in my opinion. Your dad probably isn't interested in the aftermarket support but its there, since obviously, its a Honda lol. Can't forget V-tec either..haha. My aunt has a Yaris and she seems to like it, but I haven't really talked to her in depth about its functionality.

Cliffnotes:
Honda Fit.

Edited to fix typo's.
:fyi: The aveo isnt a chevy. Its a suzuki. :fyi:

hobbie2k
07-06-2007, 10:35 PM
:fyi: The aveo isnt a chevy. Its a suzuki. :fyi:
:fyi: The Aveo isn't a Suzuki, it's a Daewoo :fyi: :hehe:

The old Geo/Chevy Metro was a rebadged Suzuki Swift, but the new Aveo is all Daewoo Kalos.

From what I've read (I haven't actually been able to drive any of them, yet), The Fit is the car for running down a mountain road, all around excellent machine. But I've heard Fits are hard to find without paying a massive markup. The Versa is for running UP a mountain road, more compromises than the Fit, but a significantly more powerful engine, also doesn't have the markups associated with the Fit. The Yaris is the frugal one, but otherwise pretty uninspiring. The xD promises to be the most powerful with the new 160hp motor, and I think it's the most stylish, but it probably doesn't handle too well and get relatively poor fuel mileage. Plus, you may find they have huge markups as well.

I think the Versa hatch with some nice wheels and a bit of a drop is the way to go.

Fuelish
07-06-2007, 11:01 PM
Just a thought, but you can get a Corolla for not a whole lot more $$$ than a Yaris (and gas mileage is actually pretty good if you are light on the gas pedal). We have an '05 'Rolla S (wifey's car), and it's a quite nice compact car - tight as a drum, and fairly roomy.

Ajilon
07-06-2007, 11:09 PM
He can have my fucking 4th gen

come to think of it, he can have my 5th gen too.

Neither of them run though

T-spoon
07-06-2007, 11:24 PM
:fyi: The Aveo isn't a Suzuki, it's a Daewoo :fyi: :hehe:

The old Geo/Chevy Metro was a rebadged Suzuki Swift, but the new Aveo is all Daewoo Kalos.

From what I've read (I haven't actually been able to drive any of them, yet), The Fit is the car for running down a mountain road, all around excellent machine. But I've heard Fits are hard to find without paying a massive markup. The Versa is for running UP a mountain road, more compromises than the Fit, but a significantly more powerful engine, also doesn't have the markups associated with the Fit. The Yaris is the frugal one, but otherwise pretty uninspiring. The xD promises to be the most powerful with the new 160hp motor, and I think it's the most stylish, but it probably doesn't handle too well and get relatively poor fuel mileage. Plus, you may find they have huge markups as well.

I think the Versa hatch with some nice wheels and a bit of a drop is the way to go.

As far as markups go.. Scion pricing is locked in. If a dealership plays around with it and they get caught, Toyota will not allow them to sell any more Scion, AFAIK. So really you should see very consistent pricing on them.

Slider
07-07-2007, 02:01 AM
Thanks for the input everyone, my dad's not going to mod the car. I'm gonna email the Toyota dealers about the Corolla, I remember driving a rental Corolla and it was a pretty nice all around car. My dad is paying it in cash fully so maybe they'll be more lenient on the price. Right now I'm sending out requests for quotes on the Fit. I showed my dad the pics of the Yaris interior and he wasn't impressed. He doesn't seem a fan of the gauges in the middle of the dash either.

He really liked the Versa at first, I'm not sure about the reliability on that one though. Toyota and Honda I can trust. But the Versa is a shared platform with Renault so I don't know what to think of it.

Slider
07-07-2007, 02:07 AM
Damn they work quick, already have a message on the answering machine with the toyota dealer asking when is he ready for a test drive. Asked about the lowest model Toyota which is the Corolla CE and got this in the inbox:

MSRP for this vehicle is $15,885.00 which gives you the unbeatable price of $13,850.00 plus tax, title, and license. If applicable, all rebates offered by Toyota are applied. All competitors offers will be beaten and that's The Grossinger Guarantee. Of course ABS and power door locks and windows would be added which would bring it up another $1,000 which doesn't seem bad at all. Will see what the other dealers offer.

hobbie2k
07-07-2007, 03:49 AM
As far as markups go.. Scion pricing is locked in. If a dealership plays around with it and they get caught, Toyota will not allow them to sell any more Scion, AFAIK. So really you should see very consistent pricing on them.

Didn't know that Scion prices are locked. Supposedly, Saturn prices are locked, too. But that hasn't stopped $5,000 markups on Skys...

Blackcloud
07-07-2007, 04:40 AM
diesel truck

T-spoon
07-07-2007, 04:54 AM
Didn't know that Scion prices are locked. Supposedly, Saturn prices are locked, too. But that hasn't stopped $5,000 markups on Skys...

Ah, well, from what I've heard, Toyota's pretty picky about it. It's part of the whole "persona" of the Scion brand, but anyhoo

Slider
07-07-2007, 09:03 PM
Fit is around 16,500, which is MSRP, I guess they're still in limited availability and the demand is good. I don't think any of the dealers will budge on the price. So far it's looking like the Corolla might be a good deal. What do you guys think of the Sentra or the Mazda 3?

TEAMFaint
07-07-2007, 09:35 PM
Mazda 3 is pretty I must say.

If I was picking up a new car, Im guessing it would be
a new Mazda or a new Mitsu Lancer.

Cavanagh
07-07-2007, 10:31 PM
lol my favorite thing about the lancers are the commericals, it says MRSP: 12,xxx then starting at 21,xxx hahaha markup anyone?

hobbie2k
07-09-2007, 02:52 AM
lol my favorite thing about the lancers are the commericals, it says MRSP: 12,xxx then starting at 21,xxx hahaha markup anyone?

Wouldn't that be, "Starting at 12,xxx, as shown 21,xxx"?

hobbie2k
07-09-2007, 02:54 AM
Fit is around 16,500, which is MSRP, I guess they're still in limited availability and the demand is good. I don't think any of the dealers will budge on the price. So far it's looking like the Corolla might be a good deal. What do you guys think of the Sentra or the Mazda 3?

I'm a Nissan fan and I say don't bother with the Sentra. If you want a small Nissan, the Versa hatch is the way to go.

Rampage94
07-09-2007, 02:31 PM
Just a thought, but you can get a Corolla for not a whole lot more $$$ than a Yaris (and gas mileage is actually pretty good if you are light on the gas pedal). We have an '05 'Rolla S (wifey's car), and it's a quite nice compact car - tight as a drum, and fairly roomy.

Im with Fuelish, my wife has an '07 Rolla S. it's a nice car, decent power, and gets very good gas milage (well to me at least) and the 1.8 is a nice motor, just too lacking for my taste tho. :laugh:

Slider
07-09-2007, 06:07 PM
Sentra is about the same price as the Corolla, around $13800 + tax & license. Just requested some quotes for the Versa and even a Civic for the hell of it.

Azzazzyn
07-09-2007, 06:42 PM
Nissan Versa hatch!

Fuelish
07-09-2007, 07:02 PM
..... the 1.8 is a nice motor, just too lacking for my taste tho. :laugh: This is true .... but doesn't lack much at all compared to my GT vert with auto tranny :eek: ;)

Slider
07-09-2007, 08:16 PM
One of the dealers sent me a quote for the '08 Versa at $15,500 :ugh: which is a grand more than the one they sent me for the '07 Sentra. Hopefully the other dealers send out better deals than that.

hobbie2k
07-10-2007, 06:28 PM
One of the dealers sent me a quote for the '08 Versa at $15,500 :ugh: which is a grand more than the one they sent me for the '07 Sentra. Hopefully the other dealers send out better deals than that.

That must be for a loaded Versa. Unfortunately, if you want cruise and ABS, I think you have to go for the high-end model, which does boost the price. Is that '07 Sentra the old B14 body style?

Slider
07-10-2007, 07:22 PM
The 07 is the new body style. I also got a quote for the bare bones civic with ABS which came out to $14,500 + tax + license + registration. I looked into the standard options it comes with and figured out it comes with no A/C and no radio. So that's out of the equation since the Corolla has those for the same price. I did receive an interesting quote for the Honda Fit, $16,500 out the door, that includes tax and the other stuff. From the quotes I'm getting he's probably going to end up getting the Corolla or the Fit.

2kSnakEater
07-10-2007, 10:30 PM
Used low mile CTS > New econocar

you can pick up a used CTS for about $14k-$18k with about 20-30k miles.

VikingJZ
07-11-2007, 01:22 AM
My friend's grandpa just bought a 2007 Corolla and loves it.

vms4evr
07-11-2007, 02:42 AM
Used low mile CTS > New econocar

you can pick up a used CTS for about $14k-$18k with about 20-30k miles.

Not sure about the CTS. But I'm a big fan of buying a car that is 2 years old. Any of the above mentioned cars. 2yrs old. Find one with low miles and get an extended warranty. Depreciation kills cars regardless of who makes them. Unless you just have to have a brand new one. On a budget this approach makes more sense to me. I haven't bought brand new in years and don't plan to.

zmile06
07-11-2007, 11:46 PM
If it was a brand new car i would say corolla all the way, i saw a corolla S at a party here in dayton ohio, and it was pretty nice. No mods or anything, i liked the exterior, and interior. If i was going to buy a car that would fit all those needs, it would be a corolla. Tell your dad if he dosent like the interior of a car, he can have everything in it done for like 2,000 dollars. Seats and carpet would be like 1,000.

Yaris is a pierce of crap, sorry i had to say it.

The scion is ok, but i just dislike the look of anything but the TC.

The price SHOULD drop more then you expect if your paying in CASH. That way they dont have to fill out so much papper work, or worry about the other issues, REPO MAN.

If i was you i would go down there and argue a price some, dont be a jerk, but tell them you are offering CASH and want a good deal or you will look around for a better price, and you might not come back. Something like 90 percent of people who leave the car lot the first time dont come back.

I would definitaly shop around for a good 2 weeks for the car you want, give them your number, and tell them if they can come any lower to call you. Just a though, my uncle did that and got a great deal.

Melchior
07-12-2007, 05:20 AM
Two people I work with and am on a friendly basis with both just bought a Yaris; one a 2 door hatch and the other a 4 door hatch. They both said the same things; they were considering the fit and versa as well... the fit was overpriced and didn't feel as fun to drive, the versa was "gimicky" they said.

The Yaris is what i'd pick from those, I think it's the best of the bunch in terms of how much someone can enjoy owning a car. It also has the lowest cost of ownership and 2nd highest resale value.

Slider
07-15-2007, 03:43 AM
Ended up getting a '07 Corolla LE with ABS, 6 speakers + 6 disc indash cd player, side airbags, keyless entry and moonroof. We were at the dealership for 4 hours, I don't think I'd ever buy a car from there again but in the end we got the price we wanted. $18,100 out the door tax was like $1600 and I forgot how much license and registration was, prolly around $200. The sales guy made $50 on the sale or so he says :lolhittin , they said they lost money on the car.

We test drove the Fit and it was a great little car but the Corolla drove smoother and the engine felt better. If it was for me I would've took the Fit but for my dad the Corolla was better for him, it was the same price out the door as the Fit Sport. The Honda dealership was way better in regards to customer service compared to the Toyota one, they were very laid back. I told the person that I swapped emails with him before and he pulled the car up and let us do the test drive while he stayed at the dealership. He didn't even ask for either of our licenses. He didn't put any pressure on us at all. At Toyota the guy was telling us which lane to go in and what streets to turn on. The Yaris looks like a pretty solid little car but the interior was not so great, especially compared to the Fit, the Fit interior looked a ton better and the seats on the Fit were a lot better.

A big thank you to everyone that replied with their opinions/suggestions.