PDA

View Full Version : Anyone do muffler delete?

Newbster
07-04-2007, 05:19 PM
Has anyone ever ran without a muffler? How does it sound on our celicas? Dont ask..but I may have to this weekend so thats why I am asking.

85gtsblackman
07-04-2007, 05:37 PM
some like it some dont

vert i just sold had a strait pipe with a tip

celicatrd93
07-04-2007, 05:59 PM
it sounds like a car with out a muffler, sounds just bad and loud.

Ghosty
07-04-2007, 07:07 PM
it sounds like a car with out a muffler, sounds just bad and loud.

To each his own, but I personally like my muffler delete.

It's a nice deep tone, something you're not going to get with a run-of-the-mill fart can.

celicatrd93
07-04-2007, 07:25 PM
To each his own, but I personally like my muffler delete.

It's a nice deep tone, something you're not going to get with a run-of-the-mill fart can.
how is it a deep tone with no muffler. basically its a straight pipe which would be loud, and not aftermarket mufflers sound like fart cans.

MCcelica
07-04-2007, 07:50 PM
^Difference is in the motors. My 5th gen had a muffler delete as well, but it still had the cat and the resonator. Plus the 5s is not by any means a bad sounding motor. My 5th gen had just pipe and a tip from resonator back and it sounded pretty awesome. In fact it did have a very deep tone. And believe it or not, it never got "blatty" either. Anyone who has played a trumpet or trombone knows what I'm talkin about with that word.

celicatrd93
07-04-2007, 08:36 PM
you guys are probably right, cause i never had my muffler deleted. so i wouldn't know how it sounds. i just thought it would sound loud with no muffler.

3sgte@daspeedof
07-04-2007, 08:51 PM
Loud would be having it open after the dp, or even runnng wthout a header

andy
07-04-2007, 09:31 PM
the 5s sounds great sans muffler, the 4a, eh, i dunno. my 4age with a res and muffler still sounds a bit raspy. stupid small engine.

phantom240
07-04-2007, 09:33 PM
What about the 3sfe?

Murgatroy
07-04-2007, 09:41 PM
I run Chaos muffler delete. I think the 4AFE sounds really good that way. I won't say it isn't loud, but it is nice loud. Not ricey 'blatty' loud. I just cut the muffler off and ran that way. It still has the resonator and cat. She has been running that way for 5 years or so. I have never been harassed about it.

With Mudhoney I am just running with a gutted cat, still all factory piping from there back.

Slider
07-04-2007, 09:49 PM
I ran like that for a couple days, camry header, high flow cat and no resonator and it was obnoxiously loud.

85gtsblackman
07-05-2007, 02:58 AM
22re with no exaust after the cat sounds klike a panzer tank, i was told that at a gas station one night

Futant3
07-05-2007, 04:54 AM
My old muffler rusted out and feel apart while I was driving it. I thought I was being followed by some big loud truck, and it turns out it was me! It was a 3S-FE with cat and resonater, no muffler.

I now run with cat, no resonater, and Flowmaster 40 series. It is loud but not as obnoxiously loud as no muffler. It also has a much more stable sound to it than running without.

Luis C
07-05-2007, 06:12 PM
I also have a Flowmaster 40 without one of the resonators and Im about to cut the other resonator loose since it got rusted on the inside and whatever is inside its making a metallic noise.. as it is today is not much of a bother except when U want a silent ride, the type where its the middle of the night and you dont want to wake up the neighborhood

vip09
07-05-2007, 06:43 PM
Here is what my car sounds like with no muffler.

You might have to turn your volume up a bit as I'm really far away from the camera at the beginning.

http://myspacetv.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=1791707

Here's another one where the camera is right behind my car from 1st through 4th gear so you can hear it pretty good.

http://myspacetv.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=1710782

Cavanagh
07-05-2007, 08:28 PM
7th gen goodness^

VikingJZ
07-06-2007, 12:18 AM
I ran with everything OEM minus a gutted cat. It sounded nice under full throttle and quiet around town. It was nice!

Futant3
07-06-2007, 01:50 AM
I also have a Flowmaster 40 without one of the resonators and Im about to cut the other resonator loose since it got rusted on the inside and whatever is inside its making a metallic noise.. as it is today is not much of a bother except when U want a silent ride, the type where its the middle of the night and you dont want to wake up the neighborhood

Man I have the same problem, I'm pretty sure it is the other resonator. Does yours get a little better when the car gets warm? But sounds ghetto when cold and you take off or change RPMs quickly?

angryyoungnpoor
07-06-2007, 06:08 AM
My 3sgte with open header is loud as hell even at idle. You have to yell in order to talk to eachother. It almost can sound like a harley at times. I haven't gotten a chance to take it on the road though.

Ads28
07-06-2007, 06:08 AM
yeahhh i put the pacesetter exhuast on ma car and i ran it after i cut the stock exhuast off and it sounded pree sweet i must say haha still had the resonater on there...and then couple days later i cut the resonater off and man it just sounded loud and mean haha
i have a crap vid..the cam was under the car soo the lil mic couldnt hadle the noise

http://s82.photobucket.com/albums/j277/impreza28/?action=view&current=exhuastVid.flv

and yes Futant3 mine does that too...it sounds like a massive civic fart car when i giver off of start up..and then sounds good after it warms up

InitialD93
07-06-2007, 07:43 AM
my 3S-GTE side exit infront of rear tire... full 3" turbo back no mufflers no cats

http://videos.streetfire.net/search/all-trac/1/25a655fc-8132-46d6-872c-0b2e6766fe94.htm

Luis C
07-06-2007, 05:05 PM
Man I have the same problem, I'm pretty sure it is the other resonator. Does yours get a little better when the car gets warm? But sounds ghetto when cold and you take off or change RPMs quickly?

:mswerd: Car sounds like crap when its cold, and sure, when you take off fast its sounds like one of those Honda rice boy fart cans, the only way Ive been able to run silently is to take off real slow and change gears below 2500 rpm, above that and its ricer country although after going above 3500 RPMs then pitch changes and it starts sounding like a real sporst car.

Also, when downshifting I get backfiring (car is running mighty rich) not to mention when driving close to parked cars @3000 RPM I can set the alarm off of all of them with the vibrations produced by the exhaust... a real blast, not to mention car parks underground :lolhittin

Cosco
07-06-2007, 06:42 PM
I ran without my muffler for a couple months. I was actually surprised with how good it sounded. Although my parents on the other hand would beg to differ. I was very pleased with it. Now we just cut out the cat and replaced it with a straight pipe with the muffler re-attached and it's not so loud now so i prefer it. I'm curious to how it will sound without the muffler now though so I may embark upon removing it sometime soonish.

Ghosty
07-07-2007, 01:19 AM
my 3S-GTE side exit infront of rear tire... full 3" turbo back no mufflers no cats

http://videos.streetfire.net/search/all-trac/1/25a655fc-8132-46d6-872c-0b2e6766fe94.htm

I shat myself while watching that video.

I love the sound of that engine. It's crisp, clean, and mean.

andy
07-07-2007, 01:37 AM
i ran my 3sgte open dp for awhile, and its a good note, the 4age sounds good with nothing but a header also, but a 20 dollars muffler made it sound like a turd. ehh. its a great engine though.

Futant3
07-07-2007, 06:18 AM
:mswerd: Car sounds like crap when its cold, and sure, when you take off fast its sounds like one of those Honda rice boy fart cans, the only way Ive been able to run silently is to take off real slow and change gears below 2500 rpm, above that and its ricer country although after going above 3500 RPMs then pitch changes and it starts sounding like a real sporst car.

Also, when downshifting I get backfiring (car is running mighty rich) not to mention when driving close to parked cars @3000 RPM I can set the alarm off of all of them with the vibrations produced by the exhaust... a real blast, not to mention car parks underground :lolhittin

Hmm when warm mine sounds pretty good all around. A really hard take off or high rpm when warm actually sounds more like a vette going crazy if you've ever heard that.

It's only when it is cold that it sounds like crap. Mine aslo backfires a little when cold rarely when warm. Gotta love setting off car alarms in parking garages, it'll do it when I take off keeping it just around 1k rpm. :hehe: Gotta be something about the particular frequencies, I know that's something they adjusted in the 50 series Tri-delts on my Mustang.