PDA

View Full Version : Vintage Le Mans wall paper (not the kind on your desktop...)

Ghosty
07-04-2007, 08:26 AM
So, my grandfather was cleaning out his basement, and he came across some crap that he thought I might want. You know how that happens?

This roll of wall paper made it to me, and I think it's pretty neat. Don't get me wrong, I'm partial to interior decorating, but I don't normally get all misty at this stuff. Here's a pic:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v299/mschroy/wallpaperlarge.jpg

As you see, the wallpaper itself is kind of narrow, a little over two feet wide. I haven't measured the length, but I'm estimating about 10 feet. Maybe more. It's an odd size, really, because you can't cover a full wall with it effectively. I think the idea is more to stripe a wall vertically with the wall paper.

It's mostly a repeating series of racing vignettes, with an overall theme of GT and Le Mans cars. It has the appearance of being hand drawn. Here's a closeup of one of the vignettes:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v299/mschroy/wallpapersmall.jpg

The background is white, with grey marques and names. Here's some of those:
Car marques...
Maserati, Porsche, Lotus, AC, Cooper, Ford, Ferrari, Lola, Alfa Romeo, Aston Martin.
Events/ Locations...
Targa Florio, Mexican Grand Prix, Goodwood, Nassau, Monza, Daytona, Brands Hatch, Tour de France (wtf?)

There's nothing that leads me to believe there is anything "official" about this piece. That is to say, no licensing. I do, however, have evidence of its origins and purchase. Here's the label on the brown paper bag it's kept in:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v299/mschroy/wallpaperpostage.jpg

As you can see, it seems to be manufactured by Imperial Wall Coverings of Chicago. From a receipt inside the bag, I learned that it was sold 9 May 1977. At least 30 years old. It's old-ass wall paper!

I'm thinking of putting this in the FS section, but I don't know if there's any demand for this.

Another possibility is clipping out the vignettes and making a hangable art-piece out of it.

Would anyone be interested in that? What would you do with this wall paper?

MCcelica
07-04-2007, 09:09 AM
Uhm. Not sure what I would do with it myself. You could probably make a pretty decent chip off of it to be honest. I dunno, but it looks pretty sweet though. I definatly wouldn't put it on the wall though cause if you sold the house you couldn't take it with you, and you don't know what the next owners would do with it.

1990CelicaGT-S
07-04-2007, 10:44 AM
Thats a pretty interesting find. I'd hold onto something like that.

Luis C
07-04-2007, 01:51 PM
Thats the kind of wallpaper kids my age got to have in their bedrooms back in the 70s... seeing it brings back childhood memoirs.

Id take a piece and frame it and sell the rest on ebay

presure2
07-04-2007, 02:10 PM
that is an ebay deal all day.
although, i do tend to get sentimental about things handed down thru family like that...lol

Ghosty
07-04-2007, 07:12 PM
Yeah, it does seem like something I'd want to hold on to. It's a pretty neat piece of automotive art.

I think I'll take Luis' idea and clip a bit out and frame it, and put the rest on ebay.

No idea how much this would get on there, but I'm going to look and see.

celicatrd93
07-04-2007, 07:18 PM
Thats a pretty interesting find. I'd hold onto something like that.
+2 on that, hold on to it, if not ebay all the way for anything.

amx
07-04-2007, 09:10 PM
I'd also hang on to it, personally, but Luis's idea is pretty good as well. And the way vintage automotive stuff has been going on eBay, I'd guess you'll probably be able to make a decent chunk of change off of it.

It's pretty cool paper, either way.