PDA

View Full Version : Quick question

Berg
07-03-2007, 05:17 AM
I spent several hours unfreezing all the nuts and bolts on the AW11's suspension to make allignments a lot easier. The car is undergoing a suspension refresh (bearins, bushings, ball joints, tie rods). I derusted and painted all the suspension that I pulled off. After I get it alligned should I paint over all the adjustment nuts and bolts? Will this make it harder to do allignments or will is help by preventing rust in the future?
Thanks for any advice!

Cheers,
Berg

StockGT92
07-03-2007, 03:55 PM
By painting over all the nuts and bolts, all you will do is make future adjustments harder and it will all rust anyway.
I'd smear a light layer of thick grease (bearing lube will work great) on your newly-installed stuff to keep rust away and ease loosening in the future. :bigthumbu

Berg
07-03-2007, 04:20 PM
There wouldn't be a problem with the grease attracting dirt and becomming more of a paste? I think that might be part of the reason that these were stuck to begin with...
Or would this be a regular maintenance thing (cleaning and regreasing every now and then)?
I would have thought that the paint would hold off the rust. I used rust preventative treatment on the rest of the parts. I was planning on using it on the threads as well (sorry I should have mentioned that).
My thinking was that the paint would hold of the rust and I can take paint off easy enough if I wanted to adjust....

Thanks
Berg