PDA

View Full Version : A/C Converting Input

my76gt
06-30-2007, 10:27 PM
Hi Everybody, Well I'm thinking of converting my celica's A/C from R12 to R134a. I picked up a one of those retrofiting kits at checkers that has everything to do the job (oil, freon, gauge, hose, fitings, label, and even came with a free DVD!!) For about $40. Now my question is, can I just take my car to a shop and have them remove the old R12 and then bring it home and put the new R134a in??? A friend of mine told me it's not that easy, he said I would have to replace my compressor, condensor, and drier. Is that true??? I've also heard that some people just do it the easy way and have had no problems.

What's your opinion????

Thanks.

PhillyDRFT
07-01-2007, 01:18 AM
No you don't have to replace all of that stuff. I don't know any possible damage r-134a can do to the system since you're a 76'. I would just replace all of the O-rings that I can find since they will be the ones to give you the most trouble.

Yes you can take it to a shop to have the r-12 drained. That is also a VERY responsible thing to do. whereas most people would just hold a screw driver over the pin and let it all vent into the atmosphere.

my76gt
07-01-2007, 06:50 AM
Thank you, I'd like to save what left of our atmosphere, and also that's just what I wanted to hear :)

Thanks.

phantom240
07-01-2007, 07:59 PM
No you don't have to replace all of that stuff. I don't know any possible damage r-134a can do to the system since you're a 76'. I would just replace all of the O-rings that I can find since they will be the ones to give you the most trouble.

Yes you can take it to a shop to have the r-12 drained. That is also a VERY responsible thing to do. whereas most people would just hold a screw driver over the pin and let it all vent into the atmosphere.
In all seriousness, those parts he listed above SHOULD be replaced to do the job correctly. If not done, he runs the risk of the r-12 compressor oil turning to gel in the compressor, evaporator, etc. Thats not to say that its not worth a shot, just that if it goes wrong, its gonna cost you.

my76gt
07-01-2007, 09:23 PM
If I vacuum the whole system first before I do anything all the old oil will be removed.

david in germany
07-02-2007, 05:18 AM
When I installed the AC in my 93 I pulled it from the junker, installed it in mine (no changing o-rings or anything). put the recommended mineral oil in and charged it! Woot been cold since 2000!

my76gt
07-02-2007, 06:56 AM
cool, thanks, I'll call some shops tomorrow and see if they can remove my old R12.

StockGT92
07-02-2007, 06:29 PM
In all seriousness, those parts he listed above SHOULD be replaced to do the job correctly. If not done, he runs the risk of the r-12 compressor oil turning to gel in the compressor, evaporator, etc.

You do not need to replace anything. I have personally converted well over 100 cars to R134 without any sort of flushing or oil removal. One is a personal car of mine that I converted 7 years ago and is still going strong.

Taking the car somewhere to have the system evacuated is probably a waste of time. I am assuming you are retrofitting due to poor cooling performance?
In that case, since the car only holds a little over a pound of freon, taking it in to get recovered is a waste of your time and money.
You do, however, need to get a vacuum pulled (evacuate) on the system to remove all the old gas. You can borrow a tool to do this from a parts store. It runs on compressed air. If you do not have an air compressor it might be worth your time to take it in and get it sucked out by a pro.
Note: having the system evacuated WILL NOT remove the old oil, only the R12, and that is just fine.

my76gt
07-03-2007, 08:09 AM
thanks, I'll keep that in mind. It's also a good idea.