PDA

View Full Version : mazdaspeed 3 or new civic si?

Yota Boy 08
06-27-2007, 03:14 AM
so my friend is buying a new car for college and he cant decide between a 2007 mazdaspeed 3 or a 2007 civic si. if it were me, i'd just get a celica gts. but he cant decide between the mazda or the honda. what would you guys get?

mon3y19
06-27-2007, 03:21 AM
if i can't get a celica, then civic si

celicatrd93
06-27-2007, 03:28 AM
like both but defiantly civic si, cause if i am going to go with mazda it would be a rx-8 not a mazda 3, cause the rx-8 is more sporty looking.

Melchior
06-27-2007, 03:33 AM
the 3, without question... where is it even a contest?

The mazdaspeed 3 is the most powerful FWD factory car ever made

Yota Boy 08
06-27-2007, 03:37 AM

i see where you're coming from melchior. you're very right. but we were also considering reliability and resale value seeing as he's gonna have this car for the duration of his college years. we're also trying to figure out which car would be more expensive to maintain.

celicaGT90_05
06-27-2007, 03:41 AM
like both but defiantly civic si, cause if i am going to go with mazda it would be a rx-8 not a mazda 3, cause the rx-8 is more sporty looking.

I dont care for the RX-8, I'd much rather have an RX-7. Anyway, they are both nice cars, but for one the civic has gotten a lot quicker than when people were ricing them and giving them a bad rep, also I dont beleive the 3 comes in manual so I'd have to go with the civic for sure.

wizzards581
06-27-2007, 03:43 AM
VTEC all the way baby!...

burnyd
06-27-2007, 04:47 AM
the new mazda cars are no joke... id be all over the speed 3

Mr Celica
06-27-2007, 04:55 AM
mazda plz.

celicaGT90_05
06-27-2007, 05:01 AM
I still say civ, I mean the 3 is a nice car, but I would much rather have a stick shift. Get an Si, or at least a coupe, the sedans are kinda ugly

Cosco
06-27-2007, 05:01 AM
I would choose the mazda. I personally think they look better, and well, their powerplant is pretty astonishing. I would just recommend going and looking at some forums and seeing the common problems and all that stuff.

celicaGT90_05
06-27-2007, 05:06 AM
wait a second, wasnt their ford hatred a little while back? You do realize mazda is ford...which is why I dont understand how some people base rice, mazda apparently can be rice though is technically domestic, but acura is honda, but honda builds some cars in the US and I believe consider acura an american based devision, though something like a teg is considered rice...people confuse me with their ignorance

lavy_gts
06-27-2007, 05:08 AM
civics just for the gauge cluster

celicaGT90_05
06-27-2007, 05:10 AM
civics just for the gauge cluster

YES, I loooove the new civics gauges! lol I dont think the car looks great overall, but its not bad, I just love the gauges

Yota Boy 08
06-27-2007, 05:13 AM
the civic si gauges are pretty badass. i didnt kno the mazdaspeed three didnt come with the option of manual transmission.

Yota Boy 08
06-27-2007, 05:17 AM
i just heard the mazdaspeed 3 only comes in manual.

celicaGT90_05
06-27-2007, 05:26 AM
lol hell no that thing doesnt only come in manual, it came automatic with the tiptronic transmission so you can drive it like a manual

hobbie2k
06-27-2007, 05:30 AM
i just heard the mazdaspeed 3 only comes in manual.

Which is the truth... I have no idea where he got the idea that it was an auto.

Mazdaspeed3 at mazdausa.com (http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/displayPage.action?pageParameter=modelsMain&vehicleCode=MS3)

I would pick the Mazdaspeed3, not just for the power, but for the looks and the hatchback versatility. But they're both good cars. The Si will probably be cheaper all around (to buy, insure, fuel, and maintain), but the 3 has a primal draw that the Si just can't match in my mind.

celicaGT90_05
06-27-2007, 05:33 AM
oh wow I was thinkin of the wrong car all together, I was thinkin of the regular mazda 3, my bad lol sorry to cause confusion

hobbie2k
06-27-2007, 05:42 AM
oh wow I was thinkin of the wrong car all together, I was thinkin of the regular mazda 3, my bad lol sorry to cause confusion

Even the regular 3 is available with a real manual, my brother owns one. And I nearly bought one. :) Maybe you're thinking of one of the Mazda SUVs...

celicaGT90_05
06-27-2007, 05:43 AM
Even the regular 3 is available with a real manual, my brother owns one. And I nearly bought one. :) Maybe you're thinking of one of the Mazda SUVs...

no I'm thinkin of the mazda sports sedan, thats the one I see around everywhere so thats the one I was thinkin about in my head

geebes
06-27-2007, 06:56 AM
the mazdaspeed 3 is a gangsta!!!! My friend got one and it is a lotta fun, and it is a very practical car as well. The new civics are bad ass, and the sexxor if i may add though.

I'd say...WRX! :hehe:

Hiko
06-27-2007, 08:07 AM
I'd rather have the speed3.

MCcelica
06-27-2007, 09:02 AM
I dig the SI's.

balagast
06-27-2007, 02:45 PM
wait a second, wasnt their ford hatred a little while back?

Mazda is based in japan, owned by japanese, and is like a third owned by ford.

Having said that ... Mazdaspeed3 is a no brainer. Although the speed6 is absolutely sweet

b1ackhawk
06-27-2007, 03:07 PM
Id have to go SI. The speed3 has a nice driveline, but the problem is its a Mazda, its like the Dodge of jap cars. The honda will definately be more reliable and prob hold its value much better. Another big turnoff on the speed3 is the 5 door hatch, nothing kills sportiness better than looking like a station wagon.

5S-FE
06-27-2007, 06:06 PM
MazdaSpeed3 = 263hp, enough said. :D

4thgenceli
06-27-2007, 06:35 PM
Dood MS3 all the muther fawkin way!!!

I test drove a MS6, and a MS3. The MS6 was heavier, but still had balls beneath it (274hp AWD). The MS3 has the same engine as the MS6, just a few less HP, but FWD (NO AWD to weigh the bitch down). The MS3 HAULED ass and was incredibly fun to drive.

The gauges in the MS3 are teh shit too (in the luminensent backlit)

Go here

http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/displayPage.action?pageParameter=modelsMain&vehicleCode=MS3

Click on Interior, and then Instrument Panel. Those gauges are teh HAWTNESS in my book.

b1ackhawk
06-27-2007, 07:26 PM

hmmm, not sure where this came from but theres alot of FWD cars more powerful, hell, caddilac's been doing it for over a decade...

celicaGT90_05
06-27-2007, 08:14 PM
Mazda is based in japan, owned by japanese, and is like a third owned by ford.

Having said that ... Mazdaspeed3 is a no brainer. Although the speed6 is absolutely sweet

Mazda is still ford, ever heard of the Mazda B-Series pick up truck or the navajo? They are basically the ranger and explorer with minor differences. So if you hate ford you might as well hate mazda too, it's not like Ford is holding mazda on a string while mazda makes COMPELTELY different motors than what ford makes, the only real different motor is the wenkel

TEAMFaint
06-27-2007, 10:39 PM
the new mazda cars are no joke... id be all over the speed 3

Burnyd just won.

Oh and the whole most powerful FWD ever made. Its true to a point. Hp/L wise.

Get the Mazdaspeed. If you choose a Civic SI over it, you definately lose.
1) They dont handle that well in my mind
2) They truly dont look that sporty, they are huge. They still look like a family car.
3) The dashes are farrrr to big in my opinion, its a strange feeling driving them.
4) Who cares about V-tech?

But one question. Which Mazda's were the ones having troubles with the doors getting kicked in? I guess if you kick in the driver side door, the lock will release, thus, theft.

I cant remember which one it was though..

Cavanagh
06-27-2007, 11:29 PM
VTEC all the way baby!...
:lolhittin

im hoping thats a joke.

celicaGT90_05
06-27-2007, 11:30 PM
Get the Mazdaspeed. If you choose a Civic SI over it, you definately lose.
1) They dont handle that well in my mind
2) They truly dont look that sporty, they are huge. They still look like a family car.
3) The dashes are farrrr to big in my opinion, its a strange feeling driving them.
4) Who cares about V-tech?

well, just to correct your mistake, its v-tec which is a pretty cool thing, but its not gonna make my decision for me. Also the coupes are pretty sorty, the sedans are ugly. And the dashes are a bit big, but very cool, I've driven a few civics and I liked it. And in what aspect are they huge? They looked small to me

hobbie2k
06-28-2007, 12:04 AM
Another big turnoff on the speed3 is the 5 door hatch, nothing kills sportiness better than looking like a station wagon.

I think the hatchback looks awsome. I don't see why people don't think of wagons as sporty. Sure, coupes are a little lighter and a little stiffer, but like most people care about that. The only thing I see is that people like to show off that they can afford an impractical vehicle.

I'm not a show-off, give me the wagon :D

KoreanJoey
06-28-2007, 05:48 AM
WTF are you talking about blackhawk... come on, hot hatches... go look up Renault Clio Sport.

But NE ways... Driven the MS3... set top time of day with it. In the rain... it's the SEXXORZ...

Fuelish
06-28-2007, 07:01 PM
so my friend is buying a new car for college and he cant decide between a 2007 mazdaspeed 3 or a 2007 civic si. if it were me, i'd just get a celica gts. but he cant decide between the mazda or the honda. what would you guys get? Hmmmm ...... can't imagine having the ability to buy a new car for college - my poor humble ass borrowed my parents' car when I was home from school....otherwise, I was on my bicycle. I vote for the friend buying a bicycle - best of all worlds (costs nothing other than calories to run it, and is very often faster to get around on in traffic/etc. )
Mountainbike with slicks ftw :cool:

ChrisD
06-28-2007, 07:07 PM
Mazdaspeed 3.

I own a Mazda 3 GT, fyi. Reliability has been top notch. (no repairs whatsoever) Resale is quite good compared to many out there.

The only downside is that you can break into a Mazda 3 by kicking the door right at the handle. My friend's got broken into that way while a bunch of my stuff was in it. :(

They have fixed this problem for '07 however.

Murgatroy
06-28-2007, 07:22 PM
hmmm, not sure where this came from but theres alot of FWD cars more powerful, hell, caddilac's been doing it for over a decade...
GM has been making FWD cars with V8s for almost 50 years.

However, if this Mazda is actually putting 270 HP to the front wheels, it might indeed be more powerful, regardless of displacement.

What about the FWD Taurus SHO? I am not sure about the power ratings.

I just have a hard time fathoming 270 FWHP being an all new never before hit record.

If it were me, and I was buying a new car soley for resale value and reliability, I would go with the Honda. You can't go wrong trying to resell a Civic. If some parent won't buy it for thier daughter as a first car, some boy racer will buy it to rice out.

However, if he is looking for a car to last for 4 years and resell, I don't think buying a car to hotrod and modify is really all that great of an idea. Aftermarket modifications beyond wheels/tires and audio equipment tend to hurt a cars resale value outside of a tuner market.

Sure we know that a 3SGTE swapped Celica is nice, but a savvy consumer is going to be worried nonstop about reliabilty issues as well as how to get the car serviced since it no longer has the original engine.

This is something anyone buying a car with resale in mind needs to consider.

Myself, I don't ever intend selling either of my Celicas. Thus I am not concerned about the modifications I perform to them. If I were to buy a car with the idea in mind of reselling it to either recoup my losses or make a profit, I would be very particular about the modifications made to it.

celicaGT90_05
06-28-2007, 08:29 PM
that taurus SHO was an interesting car, didnt do too well though. Actually theres a FWD car putting more than 270, this one puts out 377 horses. It's a grand prix GXP, and I drove one, its a bad ass car

Luni
06-29-2007, 12:28 AM
As much as I love the idea of a new boosted car, Im not impressed by the speed3. I think you should just get a speed6 if you want turbo. The 6 isnt as QUICK as the 3, but its still a faster car IMO, cause it has a thing called traction.

Id take the SI over the speed3. I like those new SIs. I like how you can get a 4 door one.

ChrisD
06-29-2007, 02:02 AM
Car and Driver did a 14.4 1/4 mile. in the mazdaspeed 3. fyi.

Cosco
06-29-2007, 07:51 AM
Well someone stated earlier that its the most powerful FWD car considering the HP to L ratio. 263 hp out of 2.3 L....compared to the 303 HP out of 5.3 L that chevy is doing.

b1ackhawk
07-07-2007, 01:12 AM
I think the hatchback looks awsome. I don't see why people don't think of wagons as sporty. Sure, coupes are a little lighter and a little stiffer, but like most people care about that. The only thing I see is that people like to show off that they can afford an impractical vehicle.

I'm not a show-off, give me the wagon :D

WTF are you talking about blackhawk... come on, hot hatches... go look up Renault Clio Sport.

But NE ways... Driven the MS3... set top time of day with it. In the rain... it's the SEXXORZ...

I know some people like the wagon look, i dont. No offense. The Renault Clio has a certain sporty look, in the way a VW GTI or R32 is. But thats a 3 door which make the look flow a little better. I'm not ignorant to practicality, I love my celica gt-s and former Integra GS-R, amongst other reasons, because of the practicality and versatility of the liftback/hatchback designs. However they in no way looked like wagons. I also love my SC400, all 4 seats are very comfortable (rear leg room is not much, but the rear seats more than make up for it on the rare occasion that i actually need to put someone back there), its carries what i need it to. Its not good for hauling, so i dont use it for that. Its great for driving anywhere and its absolutely gorgeous.

Besides, i never cared much for mazda. Facts are facts, toyota, honda, are more reliable and hold their value better. There will always be people out there who will say " I've had no problems" but guess, what, there are plenty of others who have, its a risk. You might not get the short end of the stick, but than again maybe you will.

As far as performance goes, I only had a few boltons on my GS-R when traction started becoming a huge issue and it was not pushing nearly as much horsepower. FWD just plain sucks for serious performance. The speed 6 on the other hand has AWD and looks decent. Again no offense, but every time i look at a 3 wagon, i see this:

celicaracing71
07-07-2007, 04:06 AM
ok the Civic will be cheaper to insurure but way more if he does anything to hurt it it will go to shit my brother has a Civic Si and he barely bottomed out and destroyed most of the underbody couple grand for repairs cuz he wont let me do it but deffinetly the 3 mazdas are tough cars hard to break and very reliable

1990CelicaGT-S
07-07-2007, 06:39 AM
In my opinion, having tested both the cars, and repaired both the cars I would go with the SI. The SI is a weird car to drive yes. But whatever Mazda is using for metal really turns me off. Keep in mind that where I live there is a lot of rust but I see 4 year old Mazdas daily and all of them need some sort of rust repair. I see 10-15 year old hondas daily that are no where as close to the newer mazdas.

The choice is really up to your friend. If he does choose to go Mazda then I'd personally go for the 6.

hobbie2k
07-07-2007, 07:45 AM
But the MS3 isn't a wagon...it's a 5-door hatchback. It's only a wagon if it has a significant "extention" from the rear. A "hatchback" is like a sedan or coupe with the trunk chopped off, a "wagon" is like a sedan or coupe with roof extending all the way back to the trunk.

Anyway, this is what I think of when I think of wagons...

http://us1.webpublications.com.au/static/images/articles/i27/2740_13mg.jpg

or...

http://www.insidetracknews.com/blog/srt8-0.jpg

or...

http://blogs.edmunds.com/.ee95068/cmd.233/enclosure..ee95069

They'll outrun 99% of the cars on this site with 4 adults and a rear full of camping gear.

b1ackhawk
07-07-2007, 06:06 PM
In my opinion, having tested both the cars, and repaired both the cars I would go with the SI. The SI is a weird car to drive yes. But whatever Mazda is using for metal really turns me off. Keep in mind that where I live there is a lot of rust but I see 4 year old Mazdas daily and all of them need some sort of rust repair. I see 10-15 year old hondas daily that are no where as close to the newer mazdas.

The choice is really up to your friend. If he does choose to go Mazda then I'd personally go for the 6.

Yeah, that reminds me, a friend of mine bought a brand new 6 first year they came out, within 4 months there was rust in the trunk. All mazda did was "repair" it. It will be back without a doubt.

1990CelicaGT-S
07-07-2007, 08:25 PM
The rust on them just seems really bad, and for that reason alone I would stay away from one.

T-spoon
07-07-2007, 08:41 PM
But the MS3 isn't a wagon...it's a 5-door hatchback. It's only a wagon if it has a significant "extention" from the rear. A "hatchback" is like a sedan or coupe with the trunk chopped off, a "wagon" is like a sedan or coupe with roof extending all the way back to the trunk.

Anyway, this is what I think of when I think of wagons...

http://us1.webpublications.com.au/static/images/articles/i27/2740_13mg.jpg

or...

http://www.insidetracknews.com/blog/srt8-0.jpg

or...

http://blogs.edmunds.com/.ee95068/cmd.233/enclosure..ee95069

They'll outrun 99% of the cars on this site with 4 adults and a rear full of camping gear.

Well, 99% may be an exaggeration, but none of those cars are horrible slouches :) Nothing wrong with wagons. You can get wagon WRXs... :shrug:

Would I buy a wagon? Well, depends. Instead of a minivan? Hell yes.

A dark blue or black Mazdaspeed 3 passed us on the freeway a couple days ago. I prefer coupes to any 4 door/hatch etc., but really the 3 looks pretty sharp. If I wanted a brand new stock turbo car, it would be on my list to look at.