PDA

View Full Version : 1 down, 1 to go

Ajilon
06-23-2007, 09:23 PM
ok so the GTS is on it's last legs. Developed a nice rod knock over the past few days. I don't get it. Borinal didn't drive that one. I'm toasting cars left, right and center this month. Maybe someone should take my keys. I have too much money into this GTS to dump it.

Thanks to itsoktosmokev8s, I have another 5sfe to drop in it. Planning to do that Tuesday, maybe, time permitting, while I figure out exactly what to do with my convertible. This engine also has 170K miles on it, but it's bound to be in better shape than the ones that's in there.

That brings me to my next question. What to do with said vert with it's blown engine. I have sourced both a 5sfe as well as 3sgte ST165. The 5sfe would be plug and play basically. It's got 80K on it. The 3sgte has about 112K. HOWEVER, some of you know I've lost my job. Saying money is tight is a blind understatement. I can't really afford to do a whole lot. I'm trying to work out exactly which would be the better route to go with all things considering. While I'd love that ST165, I'm wondering if it wouldn't be a better decision to let it go and think about doing that at a later date. So, what do you guys think? I'm thinking it's going to take about $500 to get that in and I'm about $350 short at the moment.

Mr Celica
06-23-2007, 09:38 PM
i think you should get the GT-S running, by dropping the 5sfe in there, and purchase the st165 3sgte, and drop it in the convertible when you have the money. in the long run i'm sure you'll be happier not just putting the same ol' engine in that car, and waiting a little and putting a better, faster engine in it.

if i was in your situation and had two cars with blown engines, i'd fix one with what i have (the 5sfe) and then put the other one aside while i'd save up money to do an upgrade to it.

just my opinion, though :)

geebes
06-23-2007, 09:46 PM
Since money is tight, just go for the free 5sfe...and when you have the moneys drop the 3sgte in there...that would be bad ass in a late 80's vert!

celicaGT90_05
06-23-2007, 09:54 PM
what I'm thinkin is you just want to get one car running again, so if the 5sfe is cheaper I would get that, I mean do you really need a turboed motor at this state? the 5SFE is a good motor thats fairly quick, and with low miles you'd be much better off

Luis C
06-23-2007, 10:08 PM
When money is a big issue then you need the most reliable car up and running and Im sorry to say this but swapped turbo engines are not reliable nor cheap fresh out of the shop... get the 5S running and store the 3S for when your finances are back in black

2kSnakEater
06-24-2007, 02:11 AM
crap, not another one. How are you driving these cars? either way there is some bad JuJu going around.

Murgatroy
06-24-2007, 02:19 AM
Wow, this sucks.

I would fix the GT-S right now to get a car running. Drop the 5SFE into it.

Then, when things are good again, drop the 3SGTE into the `vert. You have worked everything else over on the car, drop a good motor in it.

You know we are here to help, just tell us what you need.

Ajilon
06-24-2007, 03:01 AM
LOL I need a freaking car that runs dammit!

itsoktosmokev8s not only GAVE me his 5sfe, but brought it up from Tuscaloosa today. WHAT A GUY! I'm forever indebted to him. Though he did get to see my vert as well as the carnage that we did to it. It looks so lonely sitting over at Big10. I miss it. I nearly cried (again).

MCcelica
06-24-2007, 03:05 AM
Honestly, I think the 5sfe is a better option at the moment. Main reason in my mind is that once you've gotten a little to get the 3sgte into the vert, your daughter will be the primary driver or the gt-s. Am I correct? In retrospect, if I was 17-18 or younger, if I had a 3sgte powered celica, it would have been totalled FAST. I'd drop the 5s into the gt-s, use it as a daily till you can get your vert running and leave the 5s in there for the daughter. There is no sense having two 3sgte powered vehicles if money is tight cause you'll be going through more gas that way. There's also no sense in swapping a 3sgte into the gts to get you around, then swapping it out for the daughter to drive.

Ajilon
06-24-2007, 07:29 AM
oooh no. I never entertained the idea of dropping a 3sgte into the GTS. That wouldn't be wise. Once I'm confident that I'm done blowing up cars, this will be hers. My plans were to replace it's 5SFE with another just like it. No upgrades and no mods. Just stock.

My debate is what to do with the vert. 5sfe or 3sgte in that?

celicaGT90_05
06-24-2007, 08:17 AM
like I said, right now with you bein tight on funds, the 5SFE is probably the wiser choice. Good on gas plus decent power, you could also get another 3SGTE later on, tweak it, then drop it back in and keep the 5SFE for back up in case the same problem happens or sell it

Kiasis
06-24-2007, 11:39 PM
Get the car(s) running as quickly and affordably as possible. A 3SGTE project will always be out there for you when you have the time and money. Friends and helping hands will obviously never be an issue for you:)

mtp_69_i
06-25-2007, 12:39 AM
possibly the wrong thread for this question but how "plug and play" is a 5sfe swap? I've never seen one done in a 4th gen.

alltracman78
06-25-2007, 02:42 AM
Bolts right in.
It and the 3SFE are nearly identical, both physically and electronically.
Especially the early 5S.

mtp_69_i
06-25-2007, 07:52 AM
wow, I wonder why I've not heard of this earlier.

mtp_69_i
06-25-2007, 07:57 AM
definitely 5sfe then. It makes the same power (about) as the 3sge of the 4th gen. Makes slightly more torque (more importantly it hits peak torque output of 194nm earlier than the 173nm the 3sge pumps out). And if it's really plug and play you'd be crazy not to as it's newer than another 3sfe and likely just as cheap.

There'd have to be guys on here with one sitting in the shed post-swap.

Dammit, I wish I'd known this before I sold the ST. 5sfe's are a dime-a-dozen at the wreckers here. Thanks for the info alltracman.

donteatbugs
06-26-2007, 11:32 PM
get the supra running. it reliable, it has 2 more cylinders, and its rwd. that was easy.

Borinal
06-26-2007, 11:47 PM
get the supra running. it reliable, it has 2 more cylinders, and its rwd. that was easy.
Supra was sold/unloaded. She doesn't want another project right now anyways. The Supra needed a lot of work.

donteatbugs
06-27-2007, 12:31 AM
too bad. it would have been a fun ride. i dont have any spare engines at the moment but i do have some 5s parts laying around, even an auto tranny if you need one.

Mr. Babb
06-27-2007, 02:22 AM
hey Gina have you had a chance to start putting it in yet?

www.cardomain.com/ride/742566

Ajilon
06-27-2007, 02:25 AM
not yet. :( Kenny and I had planned to do it today but something came up for him and he couldn't make it. It's not exactly a 1 person task.

Luni
06-28-2007, 04:38 AM
I have edited this thread. To those involved, they know why.

To those who arent, they dont need to know why and it doesnt concern them.

Murgatroy
06-28-2007, 04:39 AM
:bigthumbu

burnyd
06-28-2007, 04:43 AM
swap 3sgte and let me break it!

Borinal
06-28-2007, 04:46 AM
swap 3sgte and let me break it!
Sorry, that position is filled. LMAO

burnyd
06-28-2007, 04:50 AM
Sorry, that position is filled. LMAO

for breaking ginas car or breaking 3sgte cars or breaking in gina?

Borinal
06-28-2007, 04:54 AM
for breaking ginas car or breaking 3sgte cars or breaking in gina?
Guilty as Charged

Apparently I had a hand in all of Luni's and any other car in the world that might have broken during my reign on this earth. =P

Luni
06-28-2007, 04:57 AM
Well.

Broke my civic.

Had a HUGE hand in breaking my 92 Celica ST.

Was WITH me when I misshifted my 2000 GTS.

Yep. Id say your reign in death will be complete once you properly kill a 3SGTE :p

burnyd
06-28-2007, 05:50 AM
I have killed 2 3sgtes 4 s54's but I have not had the chance to destroy any e153's yet

Borinal
06-28-2007, 08:47 AM
Well.

Broke my civic.

Had a HUGE hand in breaking my 92 Celica ST.

Was WITH me when I misshifted my 2000 GTS.

Yep. Id say your reign in death will be complete once you properly kill a 3SGTE :p
Which I unfortunately wasn't aboard to take pointers from. HaHa... I'm sure that my MR2 will blow up someday. Especially after us having worked on it. LOL

Ajilon
06-29-2007, 02:12 AM
Attention! There will no more of this crap of breaking my cars. This crap is getting time consuming, not to mention expensive. I'd like to keep them intact for a while please. Blowing 2 engines in less than a month is pretty bad!

mtp_69_i
06-29-2007, 03:17 AM
Ajilon, I PM'd Jeremy this question but haven't heard back. I wonder if you could outline what is involved in getting a 5sfe --> 4th gen celica swap to work. If you have an ST spec 4th gen (ie 3sfe). What is required to run the 5sfe, is it simply a matter of swapping engine and ecu? Or is it a bit harder. Any info would be great.

85gtsblackman
06-29-2007, 12:52 PM
meanwhile the 3rd gen is still going

they didnt build toyotas to good after 1985 (reliability wise).......cept the 92-96 camry, and non 3vz powered trucks

Ajilon
06-29-2007, 01:20 PM
Ajilon, I PM'd Jeremy this question but haven't heard back. I wonder if you could outline what is involved in getting a 5sfe --> 4th gen celica swap to work. If you have an ST spec 4th gen (ie 3sfe). What is required to run the 5sfe, is it simply a matter of swapping engine and ecu? Or is it a bit harder. Any info would be great.

Everything I've read and seen says it's plug and play. Swap the ECU and wiring harness over and it'll bolt right in. It's essentially the same engine. I don't know. I've never done it before, but I can't see how it would be much different than dropping another 3SFE in there.

mtp_69_i
07-02-2007, 12:45 AM
dropping another 3sfe in would require nothing more than a new engine. I'm curious as to whether this is easier than a 3sge swap into 3sfe 4th gen.