PDA

View Full Version : Transaxle compatability?

Ghosty
06-21-2007, 12:32 AM
I'm looking to replace the automatic transmission bolted to my 4AFE with something more... well... manual.

Is there any hope that the 6 speed from the 7th Gen GTS bolt on? (C64, is it?)

If not, what other transmissions could be used?

TheNefariousOne
06-21-2007, 08:05 AM
I'm not sure about the C56 (6-speed) working, as I believe the bellhousings are different then the prior C series transmissions. The ST models came with the C52, which you can also find in any car with an A series engine (with some exceptions of course).

There are other C trans that would bolt up, but are inferior to the C52. If you're looking for just a manual swap, you're better off just grabbing everything from a 5th gen ST.

Ghosty
06-22-2007, 01:08 AM
I'm not sure about the C56 (6-speed) working, as I believe the bellhousings are different then the prior C series transmissions. The ST models came with the C52, which you can also find in any car with an A series engine (with some exceptions of course).

There are other C trans that would bolt up, but are inferior to the C52. If you're looking for just a manual swap, you're better off just grabbing everything from a 5th gen ST.

I see... better to play it safe, then.

Thanks for the info!
:bigthumbu

Ghosty
06-23-2007, 07:35 AM
Ok... now I've gone and confused myself.

I'm getting conflicting information that says the manual transmission on the Celica ST is actually a C50, and not a C52.

This also falls in line with a trend I'm seeing... that 4AFE vehicles, including some corollas, typically come with a C50 attached.

Is there anyone that can confirm the transmission is a C52?

Reason being is I'm looking to install an LSD, and I need to be sure this will work. I know of no LSDs for the C50, only the C52.

And, as far as I can tell, the only way to distinguish the two from the outside is that the C52 has an alternative location to mount a starter (from the exhaust side, closer to the intake side). Although, I have no idea what this actually looks like, and I'm afraid of nabbing a C50 by mistake.